Unexpected Extended Vacation

https://pixabay.com/en/aircraft-holiday-sun-tourism-1362587/
A college classmate based overseas has been coming home every December and several of us would have a reunion while she's here. On our second get-together, we were sad when she shared about ongoing family issues that were only now revealed to her by her parents. One was a spoiled and envious sibling who seems bent on making her siblings and children turn against her, our classmate; the other was sorting out property claims with relatives in the province. Aside from the heartache at what her sibling was doing for which she cried for days, she and her youngest child also got sick and were hospitalized. She was finally able to leave after 3 months here, and will work 2 fulltime jobs abroad. Have you ever had to extend your vacation because something happened which resulted not only in additional expenses, but left you with a heavy heart, too?
@sunrisefan (16716)
Issues about inheritance and property have more often been the root of quarrels in the family. People who have nothing to inherit are often more closer and supportive of each other.
theirs is located in two separate provinces. her parents wants her to work on it since she's the eldest, but she's based overseas. we have similar issues right now. i might seek your advice one of these days.
@sunrisefan (16716)
@hereandthere Not my advice but a lawyer's hehehe!
@sunrisefan because i remember you (and your brother?) signed documents passing some property to your sisters?
I am so sorry for your friend. I had to extend my vacation one time because I was sick, it's not a nice moment.
it's hard getting sick in another country.
@hereandthere I was attacked in Miami by two guys who stole my handbag. I fell on the ground and hit my head badly. The doctor who saw me said not to travel for at least one week, at least until he was sure there was not a major hidden problem.
@LadyDuck oh, i remember this. that would make me paranoid about going out and being around people for a while.
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
Hi! Hello @hereandthere! How are you? My husband experienced that. On the last few days of my mother-in-law's life.
wiiillllmmaahh!!! (can you hear me screaming? hahah!) how is my crush, john lloydie? hehe. i hope all is well with you, two. you mean he came home because their mother was sick, then she passed away?
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
@hereandthereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Yep, that was 3 years ago. Oh! Hubby is looking for new job! That is his goal for this year. :) How are you?
@wiLLmaH (8158)
• Singapore, Singapore
@hereandthere He came home that time because Abbey is the only person that made my mother-in-law eat. Like your classmate, MIL is sick and passed away too. We stayed 2 weeks longer to pacify my father-in-law. Our US trip will be next week :)
@Nawsheen (22941)
• Mauritius
Well never happened to me but to my friend. She returned back to see her sick mother and unfortunately she passed away. And she stayed in her country for about 5 months. And then after that she had to make so much arrangements to come back. She was deeply affected.
@Nawsheen (22941)
• Mauritius
@hereandthere that's very bad. The only problem of studying abroad is that you are far from your family
@Nawsheen they are working overseas, not students. (we graduated many, many years ago) what's harder for them is being away from their children, so they try to come home often, or take longer vacations.
@Nawsheen (22941)
• Mauritius
@hereandthere oh yes visiting them do help
@thelme55 (13077)
That is a big problem regarding family. I heard many heartaches about family properties, siblings rivalry and greed. I am glad my parents have no lands to share with us children. Lands are mostly the cause of family separations.
yes, it's either land, or the house, or a business. i wish parents settle these things early to avoid problems among siblings.
@thelme55 (13077)
@hereandthere so true. I feel for those who are not greedy and victims of their own relatives.
That is very sad. I wonder how she manages to work two full-time jobs? That sounds very onerous.
with very little rest and sleep
@hereandthere Yes, I can understand that.
@besweet (7238)
• Greece
I am sorry for your friend. I can't imagine how it feels since I never had a similar experience. I hope everything works out well eventually.
we hope so, too.
No that has never happened to me and I am really glad about that.
i felt bad for her and hope her next visit will be better.
@ridingbet (40062)
i feel sorry for your classmate. i hope she will get better from her heartaches.
@ilocosboy (34393)
All of us have our own story to share, sometimes its disheartening to listen to the stories of our friends and peers.
That is indeed a very big heartache. Imagine, you siblings doing thing so you will appear the bad person. I hope she will get over that.
in your family, have your parents already settled whatever they will bequeath you and your sisters - house, land, etc?
@hereandthere Maybe. We don't know yet. Though the patriarchal house will remain as patriarchal , meaning everyone can stay there or even extend a room for each family who wish to have a vacation there.
@SIMPLYD you father was a judge so i'm sure he knows how to avoid family problems like this
@epiffanie (8310)
It's unfortunate that some families can't be civil when it comes to issues of inheritance ...
but i also think parents should also settle these things early to avoid problems.
@epiffanie (8310)
@hereandthere Oh yes I agree! My husband and I have our 'Last Will and Testimony", to avoid that kind of problems in the case that we pass on ..
@epiffanie including your properties here in the philippines?
I'm so sorry for your friend. I had to delay going on vacation for one day, because my husband irritated his eye.
i would do that same. vision is important. what happened to his eye?
@hereandthere Blue Dawn dish detergent got in his eye. It was awful. It stripped the natural tears away.
@DianneN such a powerful detergent! i'm glad it only lasted a day.
@Beatburn (3923)
I hate it when these things happen. Blood is thicker than water, they say, but greed can surely destroy any loving family.
one of us likened it to storylines that you read or watch, and now realize it does actually happen in real life.
@Beatburn (3923)
@hereandthere Indeed it does, throughout time we have seen what it can do. SMH.
how does one work two full time jobs?
she goes home and sleeps a few hours.
@hereandthere I can barely handle 2 part time jobs, the fact she needs to have 2 makes me sad
@JustBhem (26232)
• Davao, Philippines
Hmm. Never in my entire life living abroad to work so I cannot tell. But it is very upsetting though.
even if all members are here, i think you've heard of families fighting about inheritance (ex. land, house, family business, etc)
@JustBhem (26232)
• Davao, Philippines
@hereandthere In many cases, yes. I heard about that. That is why it's disappointing.
@megatron777 (3810)
• Guam
Hope it will not happen to any one of us.
i think we all have our shares of burdens. no family is perfect.
@garymarsh6 (12721)
How sad for her. Fortunately it has not happened to me.
tht is so sad for your friend i am sorry that happened to her
So sorry to hear about that. Those certainly are not good reasons to extend one's vacation. Hopefully, the matter has been sorted out.