I Am Not Afraid

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17361)
Sutton, England
A dignified debate is currently taking place in the Houses of Parliament about the terrorist attack which occurred yesterday afternoon. All parties are united in their views about defeating terrorism. There are no histrionics and the general consensus is business as normal. This has always been the norm in the UK after an atrocity has been committed. I had to log out last night as I may have had my account deleted had I have become involved with certain discussions which labelled certain groups of people. Britain has been targeted by the IRA as well as so called Islamic groups over the years. No nationality or religion should be regarded as an object of hatred. I intend to visit London very soon as I like our government am not afraid. I would suggest anyone who wants further updates visit the BBC website rather than rely on Facebook or other Social Media sites. I am now very behind with my notifications so will be back online very soon.
Be prepared that our 'friend' from the discussion we had last night may join in again. :-)
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I will be ready if that happens as my head is clear now. In a way it was funny. The ideology seemed crazy.
@Gillygirl One has to admit that such discussions are ineffective. No side will move the tiniest bit.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@MALUSE That was clear to me so I chose to leave. The capital letters were getting irritating. I hope you slept well knowing that Germany was being well looked after.
I never place labels on people, there are good people from every corner of the world, no matter their religions. Criminals and terrorists are from every country. I am not afraid, we need to fight and get rid of them and be free again.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
That is true Anna and the first step I feel is not to be divided by these people and hide away.
@Gillygirl I agree, they are trying to divide us to gain more power.
@LoriAMoore It's not a matter of religion or color of the skin. We must be alert in our days, there is too much hate in the world.
@topffer (35525)
• France
When something like this happens political squabbles have to stop. I agree completely with you that no religion should be hatred/discriminated, it would please only the terrorists. Speaking of being united, you know that all countries which have been victims of terrorist attacks are supporting you after this attack. Symbolically, Paris switched off the lights on the Eiffel Tower last night.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes I saw the Eiffel Tower with the lights switched off. When Paris was attacked in November 2015 many people had the French flag embedded in their profile pictures and the National anthem was played at football matches.. I just heard on the news that an attempt to drive into a crowd in Antwerp was foiled.
@topffer (35525)
• France
@Gillygirl I did not knew about Antwerp. I am having a look and I am reading that the driver is a French Muslim. I am afraid that more we will be closer of the end of ISIS, and more we will have these kamikaze attacks hard to stop. It is a good reason to eliminate the Islamic "State" as soon as possible.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@topffer They need to be eliminated but targeting ordinary Muslims as I have seen happen here won't work. In fact it could push young people into the arms of ISIS
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
You will find good and bad people no matter where you are in the world. It's just the way it is. It's sad that these things happen.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It is sad and could happen in any city. I feel that carrying on as normal is the best way. More and more details ore emerging today.
@dodo19 (33316)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Gillygirl It could happen to anyone, anywhere. It is probably best to just carry on. As sad as it is, sometimes it's just best that way.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@dodo19 That is true and London is carrying on as normal.
@Fleura (7194)
There are dangerous people from all backgrounds, no doubt about that!
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
That is very true and it's unfair that certain communities should take the blame for atrocities. I personally do not like the orange one but I wouldn't view Americans in the same light. After certain IRA attacks I made a point of going up to London. If we all hid away then terrorists would win.
@Daljinder (22074)
@Gillygirl lol The Orange one happens to incite such deep feelings in people.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Daljinder LOL! He is visiting Britain later this year. He will be treated to a certain type of British hospitality. Trouble is he is so thick skinned and well guarded nothing would have any impact on him.
@megatron777 (3778)
• Guam
Good title. Be Brave and Have No Fear...
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I am not afraid!
This world is made up of good and bad people of every race.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
That is true bud sadly too many people are quick to judge and generalise.
@FayeHazel (19053)
I am so sorry to the friends and family of those killed and hurt.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Me too it is so sad but the bravery of some people as a result of the attack showed some real humanity.
@FayeHazel (19053)
@Gillygirl Beautifully put
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@FayeHazel Thank you, I saw on the news today that the phrase 'we are not afraid' is trending on social media.
@sol_cee (16869)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Waking up to this terrible news story is upsetting. Stand up tall, London.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, many of us are standing tall. Westminster Bridge is now open and being used.
@sol_cee (16869)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@skysnap (17946)
I guess this must be preplanned stuff. must be some gullible one who lost life.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It seems as though it was well planned as it has now emerged that the car was rented in Birmingham. 8 people have been arrested. The attacker who hasn't been named was known to police and regarded as a low level threat. The truth will hopefully come out in the next few days.
• Pamplona, Spain
Spanish Government was united in condemming what has happened. Mr. Rajoy sent a special Communication of Condolences for the victims.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@lovinangelsinstead21 That is so sad.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gillygirl It was the German Wings plane if you remember it.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gillygirl Now they are saying it was an Accident but I am not the one to judge that. Its just that our Friend was on that Flight unluckily for him and all the others. I prefer to think that it was an Accident and leave things like that.
@Mike197602 (13864)
They are starting the blame game with regards to security though. Apparently it was a known weak point so I expect some/one/people will get scapegoated. In a strange way I'm glad the guy was born here as it will make people realise the threat is more from within than from outside. I'm a very strong supporter of brexit but it made me laugh the (literally) thousands of comments I've read all over the place saying if farage was PM this wouldn't have happened as we'd have control of our own borders.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes I saw part of the blame game but not seen the comments about Farage. The attacker is now being described as a middle aged thug who turned terrorist.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Mike197602 I agree that more integration is needed as I too have seen first hand what segregation can do can do. In my former job I saw impressionable young lads who I know would be drawn in to ISIS nowadays. I do know your area quite well and have seen areas dominated by certain cultures. There is more socialising between cultures where I live now. What would you suggest to encourage integration?
@Mike197602 (13864)
@Gillygirl My suggestion is to not fund faith based community centres/projects. Just fund community projects. I think faith type schools are a bad idea. I'd actually prefer religion to be taken out of schools but if it has to be taught then teach comparative religion not just one. In my opinion the key is getting to the young people. Just like in NI where there are faith divisions that is starting to be addressed with multi faith schools on the same campus...I'd like to see that scrapped and have one campus for all.
@Nawsheen (23013)
• Mauritius
I agree that terrorism has nothing to do with religion. Terrorists are just criminals and we have to find a way to fix our societies by eliminating terrorism. That's no easy task but we have to do it as too many innocents are dying
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes we must find a way forward.
@Nawsheen (23013)
• Mauritius
@Gillygirl definitely. So sick of hearing people innocent people dying everyday.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Nawsheen I've had to switch off from the news now as I will be going to bed soon and I find it disturbs my sleep.
@ridingbet (57749)
i am just glad to have more than a hundred notifications now. i hope to reduce it before i sleep. so, is Britain a target of terrorist attacks? i hope not. or any country in the world
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I've got over 100 notifications at present and must clear them today. Britain and other parts of Europe are targets for terror attacks. The attacker on Wednesday was British born.
@ridingbet (57749)
@Gillygirl i have a hundred and ten notifications and i am trying to reduce them to single digit/ i tried yesterday but i had some chores to do at home. our country the Philippines has terrorists all over, and of different rebel groups as well. i hope our military staff will be able to address the terrorism issues. i also hope that Martial law won't be declared by our president
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@ridingbet I have seen reports on the news.
• Bournemouth, England
Terrorist attacks, wars and other tragedies always bring out the best in the Commons, however undignified it may appear at other times.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes, usually it is quite a bear pit. I did read that the Scottish Parliament were angry yesterday as they didn't want to stop the debate about independence.
• Bournemouth, England
@Gillygirl Yes, the behaviour up there was, sadly, apparently rather chaotic and much less dignified.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@asfarasiknow Me thinks they would soon want to be back if they got their independence.
@Daljinder (22074)
I watched the live news updates on BBC too. You are right about generalizing and putting blame on particular group or religion. Every religion, country, race, etc. have their own bad elements. If we started generalizing while blaming then no human will be exempt from the blame.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
This is one of the best responses I have read in all discussions about the terrorist attack yesterday.
@Daljinder (22074)
@Gillygirl Thanks! lol And I read the discussion, all the responses and comments over there too. Only one thing came to mind "Hysteria"
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Daljinder LOL! Hysteria and histrionics.
• Eugene, Oregon
You are totally right. No one should rely on FB for anything called the truth. I admire the British people's attitude in the face of the threats.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
We have always been the same and were used to being bombed by the IRA
• Eugene, Oregon
@Gillygirl Yes, I was very aware of those years as they happened too.
I watch CNN and rarely bother with social media for the news.
@Gillygirl So awful for anyone!
I think it is very bad to label whole religions over the bad acts of a very very small group of terrorists. I won't change what I do either but it does make us more vigilant. Who would have thought the bridge was a place it could happen?
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I agree with you. The bridge is a typical tourist spot where people have their photos taken. It is always busy.
Im sorry but not even Great Britian is safe from terrorism, specially if it's a lone wolf one. I feel sorry and condolences on those victims.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Britain has always been a target for terrorists fro the IRA to ISIS. The attacker was British born and other arrests have been made now.