My Heart is Broken

My youngest dog Honey died tonight. She was the daughter of my two other dogs Beau and Brie. She was nine and a half years old. My grandson called me and said that she was listless and just lying on the couch. She had been fine earlier in the day running around and eating and drinking. I told him to watch her for a while. I called her vet but his office was closed. I wasn't too concerned, I thought she was just a little off but I got a call from Alex telling me she was having trouble breathing. I called my daughter and told her to please take Alex and the dog to the emergency clinic. Before she could get there Alex called me and said Honey had stopped breathing. She twitched, and just stopped breathing. I am devastated. She was still not an old dog and I have always taken her for her check-ups and shots. She is such a sweet little dog. I feel soo guilty that Alex and Brandon had to deal with this, they have never seen anything die before. It was a peaceful death but shocking to them none the less. With all the deaths we have had lately, I am taking this much better than I thought I would. I have cried a little and I will certainly miss her, she always slept in my bed with me. She had a very good life, she was loved and pampered and now she will be buried in the yard that she used to play in. She didn't suffer, it was a gentle passing but I am so sad I can hardly write, the tears have started again. I feel guilty not being home!! RIP my sweet Honey.
Oh Isabelle, I know how devastated you must be. So sorry
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK very much devastating, what a pain,but time heals a broken not too soon but time will come perfectly to heal the wounds.
Thanks Janet I am still very emotional but I have to go about the business of life. We always know pets have a short life but nothing prepares us for the loss.
I am so sorry for your great loss of Honey Belle..it is a lovely photo of her there. I know she had a good life with you and lots of love. RIP Honey
Thanks OT, I know this too will pass but right now I am so sad.
@BelleStarr I am glad you could come here to share Belle. The loss of a pet is so great.
@TiarasOceanView It is weighing so heavy on my heart I just had to talk about it.
Sorry for your loss my friend and, rip to her.
Thank you, I know that you understand the love of a pet.
@BelleStarr Yes, I still miss my cat.
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TRBRocks420, so painful to bear,by the way how is your dog Rooger my friend? I hope he is in good health.
@carebear29 (28941)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
sorry for your loss
Thank you
Aww. I am so sorry that you have lost your sweet pet. Take care.
Thank you, I know it will get better as time goes by, it is just so fresh right now.
@thelme55 (15636)
So sorry to hear about Honey. So sorry
@cacay1 (33192)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@thelme55, that was so painful for her pet slept with her as a family member and well loved.
Thank you, I am still so sad, I know it is going to take me a while to get over the pain.
• Midland, Michigan
So sorry to hear about this, Iz. She wasn't all that old either although I don't know if certain breeds live longer than others or what. But, either way it must be especially difficult since you weren't there and it was so quick too.
All things considered, she should have lived to between 15-17. We think it must have been a stroke or an aneurysm it appeared to be neurological. am taking it very hard but I know I will get better.
• Midland, Michigan
How awful. I am so sorry. You can be assured she had a good life and that is wonderful. I am sure you have some great memories of her too.
I do have wonderful memories and lots of photos, I am just so sad.
@BelleStarr ....Remember the good times. She's in a better place and has no pain, responsibilities, etc.
@dodo19 (34314)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. It's hard to lose a pet.
Thank you, yes it is, she was part of our family.
@dodo19 (34314)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@BelleStarr Pets definitely do become a part of the family.
I'm so sorry to hear this heartbreaking news. I always thought she was so adorable. I feel so badly for you and am sending you huge hugs.
Thank you I really need it, I am tearing up just thinking about her.I am sitting here looking at the futon that she laid on so many times.
@BelleStarr More hugs. Remember the happy times.
@FourWalls (16333)
I'm so sorry. Those of us who've been owned by our pets know the heartbreak, and there simply are no words.
Thank you so much, it hurts so much right now but I wouldn't trade a minute of the joy we had with her.
I am sorry to hear of your furbaby's passing. Not easy losing a pet. I fear that our old cat's days are numbered. It will be a sad day when she does. Big hugs to you lady.
Thank you, I really miss her in bed, she always slept right along side me.
@BelleStarr our old gal insists on going outside. I have to look for a crate for her to sleep in at night when she comes inside. Supposed to have snow tomorrow. She will catterwall to go outside, but we will keep her inside until the weather warms again.
Aww I am so sorry to hear this. I wonder why this happened :-( Is that breed prone to heart attacks etc?
No her dad is 15, but who knows with these things, it could be a stroke or an aneurysm.
@PainsOnSlate (20865)
Big hugs to you today. I'm so sorry you weren't there too but it happens. Don't beat yourself up. Your kids were kind to you and the dog. Drive carefully on the way home and keep the dog out of your head on the trip. Stay safe.
Thanks so much, I am dreading going home to a home where she isn't, it is going to be so strange.
@BelleStarr I know how hard it is to have one leave you behind...
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
My condolences to you. It is awful to lose a pet.
I still can't believe it , it was so unexpected.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
@BelleStarr Very sad.
So sorry for you loss. RIP Honey.
Thank you , our house seems empty without her
@BelleStarr Yes I can imagine. It is so hard when we lose one of our fur babies.
• Pamplona, Spain
So sorry to hear that. Very sad thing to happen. At the moment I am nursing our Dog who has been ill with Otitis again but he is much much better now. Really lovely photo of her as well again very sorry that has happened to you.
Thank you so much, my heart still hurts but it is getting better every day.
• Pamplona, Spain
@BelleStarr You are bound to feel like that for a while and then it starts to get better after a time. Our Dog is still down a bit and in the end I had to give in and put him a strong Antibiotic Injection and Cortisone. But I can feel how you feel a bit.
• Lenox, Georgia
I am so sorry for your loss. =( I know the pain of losing a dog and it's heart wrenching. Even now 2 years later my heart still aches when I think about my Fatty Bear.
Whenever I think about her or look at her grave I start to cry but I know I need to go through this mourning process. Thank you and so sorry about your Fatty Bear.
• Lenox, Georgia
@BelleStarr I understand and I hope with time it gets easier on you.
@ShifaLk (8581)
Ohh so sad. Please don't cry anymore. N get a new pup. It'll make you happy
I probably will get a new dog at some point but not quite yet.
@ShifaLk (8581)
@BelleStarr ohh ya okAy
I am so sorry, do not feel guilty for Alex and Brandon, there is nothing you could do to prevent this. You are right she had a good life, poor sweet dog.
Yes and those boys both loved her and stayed right by her through the end.
@BelleStarr It's so sad to lose a pet, they are family and we miss them.