Crooked Fish: The Real Fairytail (With A Crooked Tail)

Life is never boring in the homes of pirates, but can things that actually happened be considered fairytales? I'm not so sure about that one, but I know that as old as I may get one day, I'll never forget crooked fish. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoy remembering it. When I was about eight years old, my mom had what to us at the time was a huge fish tank. She had a few different kinds of fish, including the cousins of Puranas, which were oddly enough vegetarians. My older brother, Ryan (who you may remember from a previous true tale) got it in his head that he wanted to have fish as well, but he wanted his own fish, in his own tank, and gold fish like our old neighbour. Wilfs gold fish were the biggest we'd ever seen, but then again they were technically koi. Ryan had his heart set on having his own fish, so my mother took advantage of the situation and made a deal with him. If he was good, and stayed out of trouble for two whole months, he would get his own fish tank as a large portion of his Christmas and birthday presents. None of us thought it was possible, but somehow he did it. Who would have thought the promise of fish could keep a kid like that out of trouble? His tank was much smaller than mums, but he got seven gold fish, and 2 pretty little fish, a pink one, and a blue one. We all knew he would grow bored of them quickly, and he did. Mum did most of the cleaning, while he ran around raising hell. Never the less, it still broke his heart when he noticed that one of his little gold fish had a crooked tail. It stuck outwards to one side, and the poor little thing wasn't able to swim straight, but he was really good at turning in one direction over and over and still managing. One day Ryan did something almost unspeakable. He couldn't stand to see the little guy suffer, trying to keep up with the other fish and get his share of the food when it was time. So he got up really early one day, before anyone else was awake, and tried to fix his fish. He truly wanted to help it, but his method was unorthodox to say the least. He scooped it out of the tank with the little green fish net, put it on the table, and then hit it-not too hard-but still, he hit it with a hammer. Don't worry, this is a story about survival, and overcoming impossible odds. The strong little fighter of a gold fish somehow survived, even though my brothers plan had actually backfired. When the hammer came down, the fish's tail bent further the wrong way instead of being straightened out as intended. Ryan felt terrible, and thank goodness the fish didn't die, because a huge part of Ryan would have been lost with it. We thought it was a miracle, but little did we know, it kind of was. A few years later some of the goldfish started to get fin rot. They were getting pretty old for gold fish, and even though Ryan had lost interest in all but the one, it was still sad. They had been a part of our kitchen that sat right next to our dinner table for some time, and had often been the focus of conversation as we ate. By the time the first one died three more had caught the disease. One by one they got sick, got worse, and went to fishy heaven. Only one fish didn't get fin rot; the fish whose tail didn't sway side to side like it was suppose to. Having it curved all the way up his side and touching his belly had saved that little fish from that which killed the rest of his kind. He kept "swimming" for nearly a year after the last of his brothers had fallen, and was an inspiration to all of us. He was literally the crooked fish who could.
@stbrians (11825)
• Kakamega, Kenya
What a funny narrative. I hope he changed to the better
Ummm... not a whole lot, but he's calmed down a bit, and I don't think he's ever hit anything else with a hammer except a perhaps nail.
• Newport, Rhode Island
I love this! What a delightful story. I giggled at your reassuring sentence in the fifth paragraph. Thank you so much for sharing. It made my night.
My pleasure! My favorite thing about mylot is sharing the cooky stories of my strange family, and my Phantom Menace, of course. I wouldn't normally ask a question like this, but is that your real name? It's got such a beautiful essence to it; sounds like a soft melody with a big smile.
• Newport, Rhode Island
@AgoriphobicPirate Yep. It's the name my daddy gave me. I'm the only one he named and he chose a quintessential Southern name.
@VirginiaLee Quintessential, great word. I've been touching up on my grammar, and an online thesarus from thefreedictionary.com states, "quintessential - representing the perfect example of a class or quality." I'm guessing he raised you to be quite 'quintessential,' because that's definitely not a word you see often on blog sites.