We Didn't Mean To

No, we did not mean to. But it did happen. Yes, we feel like we've made an enemy all over an ad that we placed online. We posted a picture to sell our riding lawn mower a week ago. We had someone here look at it just after we posted it. He seemed interested and was going to look into getting a trailer and truck. A couple of days later my husband emailed him and he said that he'd pass on it. When that gentleman was here test driving it in our driveway, a neighbour overheard it, and inquired on it. Yes, he would buy it for that price if that sale fell thru. We have had a few other inquires, all of which were insulting as they were so low. Our neighbour called us and asked if it was still for sale, and he will pick it up tomorrow. Within seconds after hanging up the phone another interested party called and wanted it. Ooops, I said it literally sold just a few seconds ago. The man didn't take news very well, in fact he sounded kind of mad, but I told him that he initially contacted us last night and offered us less then half of what we were asking. We were serious with the ad and it is now sold. He asked where we are and how long until the buyer comes along, I told him he would be here in a few minutes so he was out of luck. I didn't mean to make an online enemy, but I think that this guy is less then thrilled. But maybe the next time he will learn to communicate a little better and he wouldn't be left out. Do you have any luck selling items online?
• Marion, Kansas
I have not tried. I have purchased online though, and the experiences have been good, but I am very easy going about stuff.
We were strung along by a few potential buyers, and this is a big ticket item, so there is no dickering with it. And we have a tight timeline, and its not exactly the type of item that you can toss into your back seat or trunk. I'm glad that we will just have to hand the keys to the neighbour and he can drive it home.
@Juliaacv We bought a new Cub Cadet last spring and put our 5 year old cub out on the front yard with a for sale sign - within an hour at least 6 people inquired about it and the first one with cash in hand got it. Items like that sell fast if they are in good condition as ours was.
@AbbyGreenhill This was in excellent condition, however the time of the year isn't quite there yet to be thinking about mowing the lawn, and that has worked against us. But it is sold now.
Good for you.I have sold many on E bay auction.Done very well
We didn't use an auction site, just kijiji, which is a site that you can buy and sell items here in Canada. We are both just glad that it sold, we were getting a little nervous because we have no use for it at the new place, we need a smaller mower.
@Juliaacv I see.
• Midland, Michigan
So, he offered you less but then changed his mind after all? Sounds kind of odd to me and I wouldn't worry about it whether you made an enemy with him or not. Had he agreed to the asking price he'd be the proud owner instead of your neighbor. I just hope your neighbor really did pay the asking price after all of that.
No, we responded that we had cut the original purchase price in half and that was the only amount we would accept. We're glad that our neighbour will buy it, and he'll pay the full price-in cash. His yard is as large as ours and he only uses a push mower, and he's about 5 years older then we are, so its going to a good home.
@Juliaacv I think its nice that your neighbor will get the mower and have an easier time doing his lawn
I never sold anything online.
Its not something that I enjoy doing that is for sure!
@LoriAMoore (9542)
I have pretty good luck but my brother got a little ticked recently looking at a car for sale online and when he got there it was sold, but he hadn't told the guy he was coming and the guy had no obligation to hold it for him, so I told my brother that's the way it works.
@sueznewz2 (9330)
• Alicante, Spain
I've not really done any selling at all... but like you say ... if he had communicated a bit better he may have been more successful... plus... he should have thought that there was a possibility of getting other offers... from other people...
Its funny you know.....we had a mower that the engine blew on, and one day my hubby pushed it out to the front yard with a for sale sign on it. Within 20 minutes there were 2 interested parties going over it. He told them both together that the engine was blown and it wouldn't start. We live in a rural village, and both wanted it, but neither had the cash for it. So, it was literally a race for them to go to town, withdraw the money and make it back first, because we told them first one back, plus has a truck/trailer to haul it away gets it. I cannot imagine why anyone would want something with an engine that didn't run, but those 2 couples did.
@sueznewz2 (9330)
• Alicante, Spain
@Juliaacv mmm perhaps they were good with engines or wanted it for parts...
@sueznewz2 I think that they were going to replace the engine and race it. They actually have lawn mower racing.
I have never tried to sell anything online. Well, I am sure the guy who lost out will get over this. Just glad it went for a good price and to someone who needed it.
He gave me a song and dance that he has a 10 acre lawn on the water, well if you have that much property you would need a huge commercial sized deck, not something like we were selling. Our neighbour needs it, and we're glad that he will have it tomorrow.
@Corbin5 When I would get upset over little things like this that I couldn't change at work, a friend would just remind me.......you cannot fix stupid! And I guess that applies here.
We sometimes get crabby people too. But what can you do.
People need to be quick if they are buying something from online.
@Courtlynn Quick and they need to put their money where their mouth is......I hate low ballers.
i understand disappointment, but he shouldn't have been angry. wow.
Oh I know, but it did bother us. This morning I had a guy call that wanted to view it last Saturday, but he didn't show up, so I told him it is sold. He didn't sound too pleased either, but first come first served.
@Juliaacv yes, a lot of people flake out when they say they will be there then don't show up
He has nothing to complain about. Offering less than half - YOU'D be entitled to be offended so it's bad luck for him.
Not a very good business-man in our opinion.
@Juliaacv He's not worth your worry.
@DWDavis (11147)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I've not tried to sell anything online except my books that sell through Amazon. The caller that got upset has no one but himself to blame. I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about him.
That is what I thought, but I did initially feel bad. I shouldn't have answered his call, but I knew that he'd continue to email and call until I told him. He tried to make me feel bad that the deck on his needs replacing and that he owns 10 acres, but if he owns that much he will need something with a commercial sized deck, not something like we were selling. Unless that is why his current deck is gone.....
@DWDavis (11147)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Juliaacv He's probably gone through a series of used mowers because he's too cheap to buy the size mower he really needs.
I don't know why he would be mad. The first person to pay gets it.
Oh he was just terrible! He would email us and email us and then he finally called.....and that was a day after we gave him our home number, and of course it was gone.
I am happy for you that your neighbor bought it
He is a nice guy and we've helped each other out over the years, so this was a pleasure to sell it to him.
We sell all kinds of things online using facebook yard sale groups - people who buy online know first come first serve and money talks....
Neither my husband nor myself belong to FB, but there is a site devoted to selling things here in Canada, and we used that site.
As my grandfather used to say "a day late and a dollar short" when a deal fell through. Made me think oof this when the guy called too late for the mower. It is what it is and you can't worry about the online guy.
I know, I have heard of that saying and it still holds true doesn't it? I had someone call this morning who was going to stop by last Saturday, no, I told him, it is gone now. We aren't running a hardware store here....
I've never sold anything online, but surely anyone can understand that if something is sold, it's sold.
Even this morning a guy called that wanted to see it last Saturday, no I told him it was long gone sold. People really have no concept of "must be sold immediately."
I'm glad you didn't tell him where you live. That could have gone real bad for you. I'm glad you sold it for what you wanted.
Exactly, I know. He was from out of the area, so that was to our benefit also.
@sishy7 (26528)
Wow, I'd wish that I have another lawn mower to sell in that situation... I list items on eBay and it's fun to see a 'bidding war' going on when it happens - but it does not happen very often at all with my listings, I'm lucky to even have just one watcher interested with my items...
That would be funny (in a good way) to watch.
• Portland, Connecticut
Well since he tried to low ball you it is his own fault he lost out!!
That is what I felt.
@lokisdad (4307)
My wife does not online so she finds it much easier to deal with and than people in person. Every now and then she gets low ballers but she just ignores it and then the annoying ones who try to lowball you and then never show up.
And that was what we were afraid of. And we had a potential buyer right here in the neighbourhood.