Discuss fat? Heck yes! Part 2

Weighing 167 pounds
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Obviously I didn't commit suicide. Instead, at 9 AM, I went into a phone booth, (yes we had them back then!) looked up the phone number for a local weight reduction club, called, and was told that the next meeting was that afternoon on 57th(?) street. I stayed in that phone booth until it was time for the meeting. That Thursday afternoon my life was to change forever--both good and bad--from 1967 to 1977 it was all good. It started off by my going down to 167 pounds (Yes, I purposely aimed for that number) 9 pounds under my goal weight all in 4 months. At 31 I was a HUNK for the first time in my life (and man's fashion was changing at a rapid rate--and some were wild--I have the pictures for proof.) After reaching my goal I trained to become a lecturer for the organization and soon had some of the biggest classes (working on commission I was making good money plus I was still waiting on tables at a good restaurant but not eating at work that much which means the place was showing a better profit! :O) ) I met my next lover while I was training to be a lecturer and we were soon to move to another state and start a franchise. As Director Of Operations I was the 'front man'--I became a big fish in a small pond--a STAR--doing radio/TV/newspaper interviews--traveling around the country giving open meetings. The money was piling up for the business and me--I had a new Cadillac--a beautiful townhouse--traveled to Hawaii, the South Pacific Islands, New Zealand, Australia, South America, Mexico, Vancouver, across Canada--took a 4 week vacation every year--was honored, feted, admired and had 'groupies' :o)---BUT I had lost my weight, was a charismatic, hunky, well known personality (and was modest, in case you didn't notice!) and, yet, losing weight hadn't changed my fundamental problems. To do that I went into therapy--Transactional Analysis--this was to change my life more than losing weight. While the business side between me and my lover soared the personal side sank. The more I grew up the less he could handle it but, for a change, the weight stayed constant. When we parted as lovers things were going okay and then I met my next lover and all Hell broke out. We went through a notorious 'divorce', involving courts, employees and our customers. People felt they had to pick sides and many friendships ended while others became stronger. (Remember this was way before Gays could get married.) I was, also, becoming disillusioned with the parent organization as they started changing a successful diet and becoming more commercial, now selling foods in stores nationwide that they had no choice but to allow on their diet. They were, also, reported to have only a 2-3% success rate with their major business now being returning people. It was time for me to open my own weight loss business for a number of reasons:1) I had a better way to lose weight 2) I had a BIG following 3) I had to earn a living and 4) most important, I had to keep in the public eye in order to keep my weight off. I know I was looked at, observed, anytime I was in public to see if I had gained weight. A lot would change in the next 5 years. (to be continued)
well,well look who is here.My friend Martin.So nice for you to find the time here.Glad to see you. stay with us.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I come here twice a week--once to put up a discussion and once to respond to comments--haven't seen you in awhile anywhere!! LOL
• Eugene, Oregon
I wonder if you should be publishing this in memoir form as a book? It is very interesting.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Already did---up to a certain point. :O)
• Eugene, Oregon
@GreatMartin A good thing!
Wow. You look great in that photo! Will be interested in learning about the weight loss business you started.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Probably will cover that in part 3--or 4!! LOL
Nice. It seems like a lot of those weight loss companies have those extremely low success rates. I would also be interested to hear more. And ps. Good lookin photo!
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I agree--about that being a good looking photo! LOL
• Pamplona, Spain
Great photo looking good there. Very interesting Story liked reading it and like the others will look for the next part of it.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Hard to believe the picture was taken 48 years ago!! :O)
• Pamplona, Spain
@GreatMartin Why? You look really good 48 years ago or not. Trying to tell my guy to use weights a little every day and he thinks he cannot recover the muscle thing. I said yes he can of course he can okay not the same as before but he can improve. Other Men have done that. So are you still in the Weight loss Business now or maybe not? You could still advise other people with problems.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
@lovinangelsinstead21 No I got out of the business in 1979 which started a whole new chapter in my life now posted--part 3.
You certainly do qualify as a hunk in that picture. Great story.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Still am but.....
@GreatMartin 'Course you are!
These are interesting discussions. you should write a book.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Did many years ago. :O)
I'm very fascinated reading your story.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Thank you.
@RubyHawk (25455)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Wow, you are a real success story. You have lived an eventful life. I'm waiting to read more. If you haven't written a book you should.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Been there, done that! :O)
You're story is so inspiration having battled depression, and weight issues myself it seems impossible sometimes to get back in shape, i hate working out, and have never really dieted, i deffinitley need to start working on myself.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
So you are starting when??????????? Why not right now?
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
Interesting story, it sounds like an interesting few years being in the lime light and enjoying your job. until you didn't, going on your own sounds interesting - going on to part 3
I am glad that you have made it through a lot and I need to go and read part three.
I think that your story is very inspirational. Great photo. Will look for the next installment.