My Unexpected Surprise

@UncleJoe (10829)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
After a nasty divorce in 1990 I decided to go back to driving over-the-road again. Trucks and highways had improved greatly as well as the pay scale. Then in my mid 40’s There didn’t seem to be a whole lot of surprises left for me. I had been around a while so nothing really had any shock value to me. Or, so I thought. One day I had a load going to New Hampshire. I was counting the miles to the state line and a rest area I knew would be there. It was when I pulled my rig into that lot off of I-93 that I just had to stop and gawk. I felt like a naïve greenhorn. Not only did the rest area/welcome center provide a break for weary drivers right there before my eyes was a state operated liquor store. I had never seen or heard of that anywhere else. Have you?
@PatZAnthony (12970)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
State operated? That is a bit odd.
@UncleJoe (10829)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
New Hampshire obviously need the tax on liquor to survive.
@Jon2071 (257)
I noticed that you live in Virginia Beach. Out of curiosity I was wondering if you had ever heard of Princeton, West Virginia . I used to live about 30 minutes south of there in Narrows, Virginia. Have you heard of it? I know this is on the other side of Virginia from you, but I thought maybe in your travels you might have come through the Narrows, New River area.
@UncleJoe (10829)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I know where Narrows is. I have lived in Roanoke off and on too.
@Morleyhunt (20693)
I've stopped at a lot of rest areas and welcome Centers over the years......along numerous interstates. I have never seen a liquor store at a welcome center. One thing that bothers me about many visitors centres......why do they close and lock their doors at 5 PM? (Restrooms are still accessible). If I'm travelling.....I am often travelling before 9 AM and after 5 PM.
This is the first that I have hear of this. We did see lots of rest stops with coffee for sale.
@Plethos (10803)
wow, a dui trap !
@Jon2071 (257)
No, I have not heard of such a thing. Though I have never been an over the road driver, my wife and I have traveled quite a bit and I have not seen what you described.
Oh wow that sounds like a really bad spot to have a liquor store place. That would just promote drinking and driving!
@UncleJoe In NY it is cheaper then in PA and can be bought in more stores so people go to NY to by it as well if they live close enough to the border.
@FayeHazel (19710)
Wow! I have seen rest stops and everything, but never a liquor store with them. I am sure many people found that restful, too. :-)
That's a bit different.
I think it worth to have this kind of trip.