How Private are PM in Mylot?

@stbrians (11873)
Kakamega, Kenya
The question is just that. Are PMs really private? Explain to me.
• New Delhi, India
Yes they are.no one else can read them
@stbrians (11873)
• Kakamega, Kenya
That is what I have been wondering
• New Delhi, India
@stbrians good night
@akalinus (12445)
I hope no one is reading them. You write private messages because they aren't for everyone, just you and the other person.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
Private Messages can only be seen by the two people concerned. Admin is, however, able to access any member's account and can therefore, if necessary, also see any PM.
@akalinus (12445)
Then what is the point? If admin can read them, they are not private.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
@akalinus Just because Admin is able to read them doesn't mean that he does, of course. He will only do so when it is necessary
@akalinus (12445)
@owlwings I just don't like the fact that the admin can read them. I don't talk about secrets on there but that is not the point. Private should mean private.
@akalinus (12445)
I often wondered that, too. I don't think the Facebook PMs are private and wondered about myLot messages.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
No Internet message is totally private, since, ultimately ALL public Internet systems have been written by someone and it is therefore always possible for someone with sufficient rights and privileges to access anything on the system, including 'private' messages. Naturally, the systems are designed (or should be) so that only certain very select people can have those privileges.
@akalinus (12445)
@owlwings I think most private messages are probably pretty boring. They only mean something to the people involved.
@owlwings (38187)
• Cambridge, England
@akalinus Yes, I'm sure that's true. Don't imagine that Admins read PMs just because they can. They only do so when they are required to in the course of duty - for example, if someone is reported as abusing the system by spamming or by harassing someone.
• Riga, Latvia
PMs are private between the two people exchanging them however even though that is true if I have ever wanted to converse even more with another person on certain subjects I prefer to have them contact me by email.
• Denmark
I do the same. I've asked some members in a PM to send me their email address and mentioned mine and then we've continued there.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I suppose they are, but I wouldn't send anything in a message that I didn't want others to read.
• Bangalore, India
This depends on whether you believe the admins or not. Because PMs are stored somewhere either as BLOB in Database or as a file in server. Whatever it is can be read by Admins. They do not need your password for that.
@sjvg1976 (14697)
I think these are private. No one else can see it except sender and receiver.