Pizza for a very ill woman's benefit tonight

Eugene, Oregon
Occasionally, a locally owned pizza parlor named Papa's does a benefit for a some local person with a terrible illness. Today, there is one for a young woman in her 20s who has Multiple Myeloma (a blood cancer related to leukemia). Allie is a receptionist at a doc's office where my wife has been going for the last six plus years. Anne says she was always very sweet and friendly. I do hope that they are able to cure this vivacious young woman. Each customer who brings in a special flyer from the doc's office will have 50% of the value of food purchased donated to help her with expenses. Additional Fundraiser Bucks can be bought too and 25% of those will go to the cause. It is so good that Papa's Pizza does this for local people faced with disastrous medical expenses and such terrible illnesses. Does anything like these benefits happen where you live? UPDATE: I got to meet this very nice young woman, Allie, last night. The place was packed. She is between chemo treatments and wearing a scarf to hide the fact that much of her hair has fallen out. She greeted Anne with a big hug and was talking to her many friends who came to support the benefit.
This is a wonderful idea. Our SIL has multiple myeloma as does a lady from our writers' group. It is our understanding that it can't be cured but can be held in check for quite some years. I hope this is so.
• Eugene, Oregon
Blood cancers are scary. I have sort of a chronic low red cell count that needs checking yearly. A friend from the army had a stem cell transplant about three years ago and is doing well with with it.
@JamesHxstatic Our SIL has had a stem cell transplant which seems to be quite successful so far.
It is such a terrible disease, sorry to hear about your son in law
That is so very nice of the Pizza company, boy that Pizza in the picture sure looks delicious!
• Eugene, Oregon
It looks better than the one I got from Papa's, but they were swamped with customers, so the benefit was a success.
@silvermist (15794)
@JamesHxstatic THat is really a nice thing to do.I don't thing there is anything like that here.
• Eugene, Oregon
The pizza was not so good, but the cause was. Allie was there too.
@silvermist (15794)
@JamesHxstatic And should have been very touched.It is the thought behind it that counts.
• Eugene, Oregon
@silvermist Allie was elated at the turnout. She is between chemo treatments currently.
@divalounger (2275)
How wonderful that your community does this! We have other things that businesses tend to help sponsor--kid's sports and the like, but this seems really worth while--
• Eugene, Oregon
We have all those other things as well, but somehow, Papa's, started in the early 1970s, started doing this and have helped many people.
@JamesHxstatic It is really wonderful James!
@PatZAnthony (11812)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Raising money in this way is really nice, isn't it? Hope all goes well for her. Several we know got useful information on the site Chris Beat Cancer. They also sometimes have links for places where people can get more help.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is good to know. I will tell Anne so she can pass it along.
@PatZAnthony (11812)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@JamesHxstatic Hoping there is information somewhere that will help her!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I used to volunteer for an organization that collected money for benefits for small-ensemble Baroque musicians without medical coverage. So it doe happen here. But I don't see many fundraisers for individuals. The Bay Area is just so darned big!
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh yes, that would make it harder. A sax player here named Paul Biondi (who has played with Everybody) started a fund like that for musicians. They have concerts for the cause too.
If they do, I wasn't aware, but the community might.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that they do. There are people in every place that need help.
@pumpkinjam (5713)
That is a lovely thing to do. I don't think there's anything exactly like that around here but businesses do often get involved with causes. There is a children's hospice not far from me and that is something which gets a lot of support from the area. Staff from a favourite pub of mine are going to do a skydive for the charity. There can usually be various charity boxes found in local shops too. We tend not to have a lot of these things for individuals, though.
• Eugene, Oregon
I like to see local merchants and restaurants come together for the benefit of people. like Allie.
It is certainly heartwarming to hear of communities that come together like this. I feel very fortunate to live where I do. They do a lot for people.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is great to hear!
Its wonderful to hear that your local pizza place offers discounted food to help with medical expenses for that very ill woman. Medical expenses can be staggering when certain treatment is required
• Eugene, Oregon
I know. It is unreasonable that costs are so high.
That is nice of them and, not that I know of, but I am sure there is.
• Eugene, Oregon
In that area, I would bet that they are.
Although there are various instances that i've seen, the first thing that pops into my head is one of my favorite yoga instructors. he has a donation based class twice a week that he donates all the proceeds either to a charity or even just to a person in need. he recently had a class for a friend of mine with cancer. of course, these aren't huge money makers, 15-25 people at a class, but still. every little bit helps.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is so good when people take it on them selves to help.
@franxav (3741)
I'm sorry to know about Allie's illness. Hope and pray she gets better. I'd like to happen these benefits to happen in my place but I live in another country and very different conditions.
• Eugene, Oregon
I wish more businesses would do things like this.
That is a wonderful thing that they do!
• Eugene, Oregon
It really is and gives them a good name in our community too.
The only thing I can think of here is bands doing benefit shows for friends of the local music scene, or people from other bands when they get sick or hurt.
@FayeHazel (11863)
What a great cause. I hope Allie gets a cure. We have benefits here - usually someone will rent a town hall and hire a caterer.
We keep hearing of such acts of kindness in different ways. There is this guy who brings home terminally ill patients who would be sent home from hospitals.
This pizza parlor does a good deed for people that are seriously ill.They are kind-hearted and sincerely pity those unfortunate beings.
Yes, our little town is good about raising money for someone in need