Favorite Female Lyricists #5 - Patti Smith

Colorado Springs, Colorado
We are midway through my Favorite Female Lyricists series. The #5 spot belongs to Patti Smith. Also a poet, visual artist, and author, Patti Smith was part of New York's CBGB punk scene that produced Blondie, Ramones, and Talking Heads (in fact, she originally viewed punk as a means to get her poetry out there. And, she was the final performer to play CBGB before it closed it's doors forever.) Smith is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has won the Polar Music Award, and her memoir, Just Kids, won the National Book Award. Patti Smith has been a prolific songwriter since the 1970's. Her biggest hit, "Because the Night," was co-written with Bruce Springsteen, and she penned or co-wrote many a tune for Blue Oyster Cult, including "Shooting Shark," and "The Revenge of Vera Gemini," and co-wrote R.E.M.'s "The E-Bow Song." Smith interspersed her own poetry into her cover of Them's "Gloria," and there are at least 18 covers of her song "Dancing Barefoot," notably by The Mission, U2, Pearl Jam, and Simple Minds (and I've seen The Church perform it live.) Her debut album, Horses, is a classic, one I went and bought after the first time I heard it. I've been pretty loyal ever since. The Blue Oyster Cult connection doesn't hurt, either! (Info verified by Wikipedia)
A love song like no other ? (Lyrics below). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8SoVfTVLrk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7fibt4DU8 Lyrics: she is benedictio...
I say poet turned songwriter! She's one of a kind. If only to have been at CBGB's in the day.
If only. That would have been so cool.
@FourWalls (9521)
Remember her doing "My Generation" on SNL?
No.Was it profanity-laden like the album version, or did they bleep it out? Or make her do it clean?
@FourWalls (9521)
@teamfreak16 -- they bleeped some but not all. She rattled off three of the seven words and threw the microphone down.
@FourWalls - Good for her!
Patti Smith one of the Queen's of Punk amazing lyrics could listen to her all day
Some of the songs I wanted to use I couldn't due to profanity. Don't want to get kicked off the site!
@teamfreak16 I feel like people make to much fuss over curse words, i would much rather have a warning label or something in my post that says this may include strong language or adult content, i mean kids should not be on this site right?
@chrissbergstrom - That would be nice to be able to do that. There are a lot of songs I can't use.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
Gosh, haven't heard any Patti Smith in ages. Marc Bolan, of T. Rex, started out as a poet. I wonder how many others did?
Quite a few, I'm sure. Jim Morrison.
Another good choice. I haven't heard the Blue Oyster Cult in awhile.
I love those guys. Seen them twice. Even got a high five from Eric Bloom at one show.