4 Weeks 6 Days

@fishtiger58 (30372)
Momence, Illinois
So sorry I haven't been around for the last few days. There is a reason. As many of you know my husband and I went on the first part of my son's jaunt across the US. We went as far as the east coast and then our part of the trip was over. My son continued on. We were gone for just a week but my son was gone for almost 5 weeks. He arrived here early Sunday morning. I was extremely happy to see him get home safely. So I spent the weekend with him, looking at his pictures and hearing all his wonderful stories. It was a great time. My son traveled from his school in Michigan, to our home in Illinois, then we went to the east coast and he traveled all the way to the west coast and back home. The way we figured it he traveled just over 10,000 miles. I'm so glad his car was able to make that trip. He visited 25 National Parks and Monuments. He took over 500 pictures. While his goal was to stay as south as he could to avoid the cold weather and snow he wasn't quite able to accomplish that. He ran into snow a few times. The worst of it was in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. He camped at a campsite at 9400 feet above sea level and needless to say it snowed. One morning he got over 7 inches of wet heavy snow that just about collapsed his tent. He wasn't very happy about that and ended up sleeping in his car that night. Good thing he is a young strong man. I had told him when he headed south and we headed home that if I didn't hear from him for a few days I would send out the state police to find him so thankfully he called us everyday so we knew where he was most of the time. I guess he didn't want the police looking for him lol. His absolute favorite park was Death Valley National Park, he said it was stunning. He also very much loved Sequoia National Park, he had never seen trees so big. All in all he had a wonderful time, and is now ready to find himself a job. He went back to Michigan yesterday and had a few things to finish at the university and get to finding a job. This is one of his pictures of Death Valley National Park. I have his permission to use his pictures.
@fishtiger58 What a lovely idea. I am sure he has many stories to tell his future kids and keep them entertained. Glad he got home safely. I love the photo; it is gorgeous!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He had such a good time. He has been in school since he was 4 and is now almost 25, he is so glad to be done with school.
@fishtiger58 I could imagine as that is a long time. I, on the other hand, would give an arm or leg to be in school! I take free online college courses instead!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marty1 He is a very smart guy. He had full ride scholarships to Purdue University in Indiana and then again at Michigan State University to get his Master's Degree. It was a very long time and he is burnt out. The trip did wonders for de stressing he really needed that trip.
Stunning photo. I've only traveled on I10 whenever I headed west and never had to worry about snow, I don't think Tuscon or Phoenix ever get snow, they're just a little hotter than we get.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He went into the mountains so he was bound to run into snow. He wasn't happy about the snow but he had such a good time, and he returned home safely that's where my concern was.
Our mountains don't get snow very often @fishtiger58 and I'm not positive but I don't think the southern AZ mountains do either. Did he travel I40?
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann Of that I'm not sure, but he sure ran into lots of snow in the Sierra Nevadas in California.
@CRK109 (14420)
What a gorgeous photo! Oh, how I envy him that trip! I bet he has some incredible stories to tell! And it's a trip he'll remember forever!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm so glad he did this trip. He is back to being my happy unstressed son. I envy him that trip as well. I think my husband and I will do some of it. Just not 5 weeks worth all in one trip. While I love to camp and still do it, I can't take 5 weeks in a row of that. I'm just to old for that lol.
@CRK109 (14420)
@fishtiger58 It's a wonderful way to see our beautiful country, that's for sure! And I do know what you mean! I couldn't go camping for 5 weeks either! lol
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@CRK109 If I was in my 20's I could but not ever again will I have that kind of stamina.
Wow thats a lot of National Parks and sounds like an amazing journey before finding a job & also spending time with his parents!! =) Best of luck to him on finding a job he'll love!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He is back up in Michigan getting his resume together and I hope he can find a job to his liking.
@fishtiger58 that is wonderful! I hope he gets the job he wants!
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@infatuatedbby I hope so too and soon.
That must have been a rare experience for you accompanying your son. Was there an issue with what to see and what not to see considering that you were travelling with a youngster (lol)
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
No issue at all we all agreed what we were going to do on the first part of the trip and it was lovely. I was more than pleased that he wanted us to join him and we had the most wonderful time. He has been away from home for 6 years while in school, we would see him every couple of months but the time spent was the best.
@fishtiger58 A beautiful page then in your memory book
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@allknowing Yes absolutely we had a most wonderful time.
How wonderful for you're son to get to travel to so many great places to bad he encountered some snow i wish the snow was gone
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Thankfully it wasn't the whole trip where he ran into snow. He almost got stuck a few times which would have been bad, no cell phone signal and all alone in the campground.
@fishtiger58 Yes it is scary to be stuck in snow in a unfamiliar place with no cell phone reception.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@chrissbergstrom I was extremely relieved to hear from him finally, he was going to go to Oregon on his trip but heard where he wanted to go was under snow. He was hoping to go to Crater Lake.
@katsmeow1213 (29029)
I shall have to take a trip like that some day! I wish I hadn't had kids so young so I could have done it in my youth.. but honestly I wasn't as interested in travelling back then. At that time the only place I really wanted to go was California.. and I still haven't been there.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I wish my hubby and I could have gone the whole way with him, but being old there was no way we wanted to camp for 5 weeks. My honeymoon was a five week camping and fishing trip but back then I was young.
@fishtiger58 I think I could do it with a camper..
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@katsmeow1213 I probably could too, with all the trappings of home.
I bet you had a lot to talk about to catch up with him and see and hear about the rest of his adventure.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
We sure did there was a story for every picture, now you can see why I wasn't here for a few days. So much to catch up on. He has now gone home to Michigan so I have time again.
@fishtiger58 Sounds like a good time was had by all.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill Yes very much so. I love anytime I can spend with him as he has been away at college for the last almost 7 years.
That's an awesome picture. I'm glad he made it home safely. Too bad about the snow.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He sure wasn't looking for the snow. Going to school in Michigan this last 2 1/2 years he had enough of that, as well growing up in the Chicago area. But mostly no snow and he had such a good time. Helped him to de stress from all that schooling. This will be the first time in his life since he was 4 years old he hasn't been in school. He will be 25 in July so that's like 20 1/2 years in school full time. He is so done with all that.
That's a great photo, and I can understand your relief that he's home safely. Good luck to him in finding a job.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks so much, I have every confidence he will find a job that suits him.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad he did not have to dine on family members, as the famous Donner party did.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Nope lol he didn't He loved it though and brought plenty of water with him in case his car broke down. Thankfully he got out of there safely.
That sounds like a very nice trip. And that's a lot of pics.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm glad he had the time and money to do this. He hasn't had any free time in almost 3 years. He was a research fellow at Michigan State University, so between his studies, homework and the research they were paying him to do he had no time for himself. It made him very crabby and stressed. He feels so much better now and for that I'm extremely happy. I have my son back, the good son not the crabby son.
Quite an adventure for your son! Wishing him good luck in finding a good job.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks he is a smart guy, I'm sure he'll find one that suits him.
Glad he had a wonderful time and arrived home safely. Best wishes on his job search.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Dianne I have every confidence he will find a good job that suits him.
• Midland, Michigan
Gorgeous picture, but I know God's handiwork is everywhere if we'd just look around us and enjoy the display. Glad to hear that your son had an excellent time other than the snow, and made it home safely. At least as he gets entrenched into the work force he won't need to look back and wish he'd done something like he already did as many of us have done as we've aged.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
I agree he will remember this trip his entire life. It sure helped to de stress after his long hard years in college. Now he is happy again and ready to join the work forces.
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
It couldn't have been pleasant to be in a tent in the snow. He is a resourceful young man. I enjoyed your travel series. I love the photo.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Gil he had a most wonderful time it was so good for his attitude.
I would love to take a trip like this. I bet he had a blast.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
He really did and needed it so badly. I am jealous of his trip and hopefully soon my hubby and I can at least do some of it.