Why small kids mobile phones or computers?

By RK
@ragikutty (2460)
Kerala, India
I have seen my nephew fighting with his parents and grand parents for mobiles and computer time. He is going to be 7 years old and is in 2nd standard. I really don't get it when the elders give in to his tantrums. Me and hubby have never let him use our mobiles. So he don't use those tantrums on us. But I hate to see this. Even I was small once. That time there was no mobile or PC. Even if we had cartoon cassettes and all I have never grown these kinds of tantrums and my father never have let me do anything overboard if that's not something a kid should be doing. So having brought up like that I can not stand this unnecessary demands. I love him and I get him things like story books, crafts, puzzles which will help him grow his creativity, imagination, problem solving skills etc. that too not according to his tantrums. Do you give in to your kid's tantrums?
I agree with you. Children need more books and outdoor activities. I gave a simple phone for my child in the past because I would be worried if I couldn't contact him sometimes. Such as when we went to the library, he went to read his books and I went to read mine. We would seperate some time. It is better to have a phone if there is an emergency. Last year he started to go to high school and some of his homework needed to finish by mobile phone. This is why I bought him a smartphone. I am still glad that my son doesn't use it in a wrong way.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Okay he is not a little kid. He is atleast in high school. I was talking about toddlers and kids of below 14-16.. these are the ones throwing tantrums
@ragikutty My son is 12 years old now.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
@youless just take care kids won't get addicted to it. Always monitor what your kid is watching or doing with the phone.
@megatron777 (3778)
• Guam
Not really, teach them well.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
No idea who is to be taught? The elders or the children?
• Guam
@ragikutty Children of course. Unless you want the elder to be taught by chidren.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
@megatron777 but I think it's elder who needs to be taught on what to give and what not to give to children's.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
No I don't allow them to do. My kids are not allowed to play with mobiles . Though I allow them to play games on computer but for a very small time period. We don't give in for our kid's tantrums especially my wife is very good in handling them
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
That is how it should work. It's okay to let them have, when you can control how long or what they are spending their time with those gadgets.
@sjvg1976 (18386)
@ragikutty we always allowed them to play in front of us.
• Kolkata, India
Our time and the present time has vast difference. When I was in 2nd standard in our country none of us in my family own a mobile. In my father's time until he was in his 40s he didn't own a mobile. So the change in generation is very fast thus creating a generation gap. I don't have a child so no question of what I do. But see one thing, if a kid gets all this gadgets from very young age they will be superb at it perhaps when they become adult. But, on the other hand if they aren't given this who knows they will be standing at the back end of a queue. This is my personal opinion and I really don't know if I am right or not.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
What I was saying is even as a kid I knew the reasonable things my parents will give in to me and stuffs for which there is no use in throwing tantrums. But these kids just throw tantrums for everything; very unreasonable stuffs they don't really have.
• Kolkata, India
@ragikutty Throwing tantrums is not something which should be accepted though
• New Delhi, India
I get helpless attimes and give in
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
But why?
• New Delhi, India
@ragikutty he gets uncontrollable
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
Conceding to tantrums simply sets a precedence and makes them worthwhile.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
Very true. Those who give in to their tantrums are the ones who love them and this who won't don't love them. This is how they take it
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@ragikutty They also begin to expect tantrums to be successful.
@Lasckos2 (163)
I refuse to give my children a tablet, phone or computer. He has tried many times but I do not give in. Kids get so easily lost in these devices. I am a teacher and I can tell on the first day of school which kids are on the devices all day and which ones are not. Some kids get socially stunted and don't have a clue on how to interact with another person. There is nothing wrong using it for educational purposes, reward time, a game here or there... but I do not think it should be daily and treated like a 'babysitter' because it keeps a child distracted.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
True. Kids forgets how to interact socially with the high exposure in gadgets. They tend to live in a virtual closed world and fails in the real outside world.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Times they are a changing. My nephew has a iPhone and he just turned seven. But that is also because his dad is three thousand miles away and his mom travels a lot for work. Still, I didn't get my first phone till I was 14.
@ragikutty (2460)
• Kerala, India
I mean why do he need a phone?