Student Athletes...

I have met a ton of different people from all different majors, religions, ethnicities, and most of from different sports teams while in college. The majority of the student-athletes I have met on campus are very friendly, you ask them nicely to do something and they do it, they go out of their way to be nice to everyone. I have never had problems with any of them till this year. The girl across from my room is a student-athlete and she is our peer ally. She is on the basketball team and about 3-4 of her teammates live upstairs right above us. There have been multiple complaints about this girl to several RAs and nothing has ever been done until last night. It was 1:16 am and her and her teammates were obnoxiously drunk and screaming for no reason. You could smell the booze on them from before they even got back to the dorm. The girl that lives next to the basketball player asked them twice to be quiet because she was trying to sleep. The girl told her okay and told her to "not go snitching on them to the RA". Well, they continued to be rude and loud so the girl went to the third floor RA since she is the one who was on duty in our dorm. The third floor RA is also on the basketball team and never does anything when people complain about this girl but she told her teammate to be quiet. The girl said okay and then begged her RA teammate to tell her if any other RAs are on their way to the dorm. It is now close to 3:00 am and they are still being loud. Now the girl next to the basketball player goes to the second floor RA and complains to her about it. The second floor RA calls the other RA that is on duty in another dorm and who is also on the basketball team but does her job and will write up her teammates when they are doing stupid things like getting drunk on a Wednesday night and disturbing everyone. The second floor RA also called our Assitant Dean of Students to come handle the situation. Josh was not happy when he got there, but who would be when they get woke up at 3:00 in the morning to handle this girl who thinks she is tough and bad. He was his normal cheerful self when he first got there because he was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but as they kept lying to him about not drinking and being loud he started getting pissed (like I said you could smell the booze). He searched her room and found several bottles and cans of alcohol and that was only part of it because her teammates that were drinking with her took some back to their rooms in their bookbags. Now she has to go to a judicial meeting to try an appeal it. Her coach is going to be very unhappy about this since he has already had to get on her and make her do extra stuff at practice because of previous complaints. I am finally glad that something is being about this girl. She is only a sophomore and has gotten into a lot of trouble already. She is the same girl that repeatedly called one of my friends's a B**** in front of the third floor RA for no reason, multiple noise complaints, and alcohol complaints. She has even told multiple people that she would beat up our second floor RA if she didn't mind her business. She has told my roommate that being a student-athlete is stressful and if they want to party and drink then they will. For some reason, she thinks student-athletes get special treatment. This makes me mad because a lot of students get to this college on academic scholarships. Tuition here is a lot more than other colleges because it is a private college. A lot of the students here earn the majority of their tuition in academic scholarships. My tuition rounds up to being about $38,000 a year and I earn over 36,000 in scholarships yearly, I work to pay off another $1,000 of it and my day has a payment plan set up for the other $1,000. My college is known for their expensive tuition but students leave here with a lot less student debt and loans because the college gives out a lot of scholarships to help students pay tuition. For someone to think that just because they play a sport means they get special treatment with professors and the faculty members get my blood boiling. Like it isn't hard a stressful to keep a 4.0 GPA, volunteer places, work, keep straight A's, and attend every career event they hold to make contacts for the future. Especially since all she has to do is break a bond or pull a ligament and she can lose her scholarship and she'll just get replaced on the team so that doesn't sound like being special to me and she doesn't even have to hurt herself while playing basketball to lose the scholarship or her spot on the team. Or that her dumb acts can also get her kicked off the team and lose her scholarships. I am proud to say that I got here because I am smart and not because of a talent that I could lose if I make a wrong move. Sorry for the long post I just needed to rant, but being an athlete doesn't mean you are special or get special treatment NO matter what you do.
This girl doesn't seem very nice. BUT maybe she's just going through soemthing and trying to deal with it by drinking and acting out. Like most teens / young adults do. Who knows. But I hope she doesn't cause anymore problems for anyone, especially herself.
I could understand if this was a once in a while thing or on the weekends or if it was just her doing it but this is becoming a weekly thing with her and her teammates and some nights they aren't drunk just obnoxiously loud for no reason. They bang on the walls in her room, scream, slam the door repeatedly and when they aren't in her room they are upstairs above us where they do the same thing. She told my roommate one night when she asked them to be quiet that they were student athletes and they could party whenever they wanted to. She really just thinks she gets special treatment because she plays a sport.
@CaseyRoss9966 seems like she needs to be knocked down to size..
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
$38000 tuition. In the UK we complain about £9000 ($11250) tuition fees!!!!
College here is very expensive. Normally not as much for a public college that gets funding from the government but those students normally have a lot more college debt and student loans to pay off than my college does. My college gives out a lot of scholarships to make up for the tuition being so high. By the end of my 4 years, my father will only have to pay for 1 full year of college the rest is cover in scholarships I have earned and what I work to pay off through the college. I rather tuition cost a lot now and have less debt afterwards.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@CaseyRoss9966 Many young people leaving university in the UK will have between £40000 to £50000 ($50000 to $60000) worth of debt by the time they leave.
@prinzcy (5055)
You can rant here, no problem. About your friend, she probably needs reality check.
She is nowhere near being my friend and she does need a reality check. Hopefully, that is what last night was for her and her teammates. One of them went back to her room after security left and was crying about how she couldn't get in trouble but if they were just more respectful of others they never would have got in trouble last night.
@EMuhungi (1726)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Most athletes forget that, but i think they need to be disciplined. To succeed in any sport you have to be disciplined.
Here at my college, I have noticed that it is most only the basketball team that acts this way. Others on sports teams here don't act this way and if they do you just ask them to be quiet or to move somewhere else and they do it. Even if they are plastered drunk they are still respectful.
@EMuhungi (1726)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@CaseyRoss9966 well, probably the coaching staffs are failing on their part.
Some people are lack of discipline. It is fine to rant here.
Yes, they do. This one just makes me extra angry because a lot of athletes have been getting off easy for serious things like rape lately just because they are athletes and people are worried about their futures. None of them know how to take responsibility for their own actions. The only way they are going to make it in the real world is by everyone handling them everything.
@CaseyRoss9966 That's too bad to hear. Criminal cases are getting higher in its incidence.
@Kuttu_007 (1202)
Everyone is unique and have special talents..they must learn to be humble