Home No More

Green Bay, Wisconsin
The home I lived in for 8 years is gone. Not by earthquake, fire, flood, or other natural disaster, but by a bulldozer. For two years I hemmed and hawed about trying to save my home while I was in foreclosure and then going through the application for modification. I finally decided a year ago it wasn't worth saving. Well it wasn't. All that's left as of an hour ago is the foundation. You can see the bulldozer at the back of what used to be the house and the only thing still standing is the front porch. I'm sure before all is said and done, that will be gone as well. My older son called yesterday to say the bulldozer was in the driveway. I tried to remember my camera when I went to do laundry, and if I had, I could have gotten a picture of at least half the house still standing as of noon today. This picture was taken at 3. Nothing left except the memories. In other news, I now have three chapters finished or about finished on Freedom's Cry. I was almost finished with the next chapter when I had to leave to do laundry. I'll be going back to it and get that chapter done before I go to bed. This makes the book almost finished. I just need to finish up the final details of the book. I did run into some interesting facts yesterday that almost had me worried about certain aspects of the novel, but a few added paragraphs and a minor change took care of that newly found information. I have also determined there was a blockade by the English in place in around Boston in 1775, so I will be dealing with that as well before the end of the book. That's my news. I will be back with all of you before too long on a daily basis. I should be putting the final paragraphs on the book soon. March that normally goes in like a lion out like a lamb or vice versa is contrary this year. In like a lion, out like a lion. It's been snowing all day. Nothing is staying, it's been too warm for that. How are things in your neck of the woods? Thanks for reading.
@PainsOnSlate (20091)
How sad was it to see the house being knocked down? It must have tugged at your heart strings. Obviously you weren't living there so maybe not so sad. Glad to hear about the book and you are spot on with the lion at the end of the month, we have had snow all day too but nothing is white, just very wet.. It must have been a lot of research to set a story in an era so far back. Thankfully I'm sure it was not hard to find info from the 1775 in Mass, my 8th great grandfather was there.
No, it's not. I am working in the time of the Revolutionary War with this last novel and just need to make sure I get the historic facts right. Something I found yesterday was something I never learned in school or had heard of before. Just a minor adjustment and everything is back on track. Very interesting about your many times great grandfather. Very wet here. Right now I'm looking out the window at huge flakes coming down. They've ranged from the barely seeable size to the huge, which they are now.
• Midland, Michigan
@just4him We had huge ones about lunch time today when I was visiting with my mom. They looked to be the size of soft balls or thereabouts, but that was looking through the window. I don't know that I've seen them that large before.
@MarshaMusselman That is large. Today is clouds with the sun trying to push through.
Houses here are usually bulldozed too and new ones put in place. Well, I do hope a nice one goes up in the place where your home used to stand. Good news about your book!! Soon it will be done! Just rain, rain, and more rain here.
I thought you might be having rain. That's what it looked like on the forecast yesterday. I expect Habitat for Humanity will put a new home up in its place. I'll be surprised if they don't as they have been doing that to a lot of the vacant lots. Houses have been coming down a lot in the last couple years. I wasn't surprised to see it go down, not with all the work it needed. It was originally built in 1898. It was time.
well it is nice to see you.Have not heard from you for sometime now.we are have heavy wet snow tomorrow afternoon. about six inches they say.Spring is still missing.
Spring will come. They said we would get accumulation but it's too warm for it. I hope it doesn't stick with you.
@just4him they are call this an April Fool/s joke on us.Not a joke real happening
@amadeo I hope if it does accumulate it melts quick.
@Lucky15 (33427)
March is ending here and reminding us of dry season with the high temp :/
I hope it won't be too bad this year.
@computerguy1980 I hope you're in Arizona then.
@UncleJoe (9484)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Well, our house is still here. BTW, not to offend you but that machine is actually an excavator. Bulldozers are machines with a big push blade on the front. As a retired heavy equipment operator, I hope you didn't mind me pointing that out.
Not at all. I wouldn't know an excavator from a bulldozer - obviously.
I was thinking of you earlier today and wondering how your writing was coming along so I am glad that you updated us. Sad to see you home go but like you said you have the memories. Things are good with me.
Yes I do have the memories, most of them pretty good. Yes, the book will be finished soon.
@just4him the is great
@Happy2BeMe Thanks. I'm happy it's almost finished.
It really is amazing to see just a vacant lot with a set of stairs on it, where your home used to be. That must be a really odd feeling. Times are better now though you sound so happy in your new place.
I am happy here, and I know you will be happy soon as well. It was odd to see just the stairs standing. I wish I had my camera when I left. Then there was just the back gone.
@just4him Its pouring rain out, just miserable, and we came home from the lawyer's office a little while ago, and just the thought that as we pulled into the garage, that this would be for the very last time. When we first moved here, it was only a carport, but we had someone finish it for us and we've really enjoyed the garage.
@Juliaacv Are the tears flowing because it's the last time you'll pull in there? You have a lot of memories you're leaving behind.
I'm stopping by briefly to say a quick hello. So sort tonhear about your house, but you do have the memories. I haven't been on much at all. I've been truly vacationing and having the time of my life. The weather has been so awesome, I'm wary of returning home to that brrrr. However, I'm so excited to see my loved ones and my dear friends. Doodles, too!
I'm sure Doodles will be happy to see you too. I'm glad you've had a good time in Florida.
@just4him This was our best season yet. Many thanks!
@DianneN Glad to hear it.
If it couldn't be saved then the right decision was made. Things are very windy here...
Yes, it was the right decision. It will be interesting to see what gets put up in its place.
@just4him a new dream home!
@AbbyGreenhill Somebody's dream home, I'm sure. I expect Habitat for Humanity will be putting it up.
@ShifaLk (7496)
Ohhh. But okay, old goes and the best comes from LORD.
Yes it does and my apartment is definitely from the Lord.
@ShifaLk (7496)
@TheSojourner (17479)
Such a day of memories. I know that it must have been difficult. I am glad you are doing well, however. I am sorry that I haven't been in regular touch.
Not a problem. I haven't been here much this month. I've been hard at work on my novel, which is almost finished, then I will be back here full time once again. It was sad to see it go, but it was time for it.
@just4him like watching an evolution. Like a child growing up and moving out. All of those sorts of things have their memories and sadness but also Joy.
@CoralLevang Yes they do. It amazes me about the homes here versus the ones in Britain. I've been watching a show on Netflix called Escape to the Country. People looking for a new place to call home - a lot like you see on HGTV even with the three choices. The homes they are presenting the new buyers are as old as the 1700's. And mine was only a little over a hundred years old and falling apart.
@WriterAI (5021)
• Bulgaria
How are you now? Are you well in your apartment? It was a bad experience to you, I think. Are the things around you getting well?
I'm doing very well, thank you. I love my apartment. I'll be here a year in August. It could have been a bad experience, but it really wasn't. It was sad when they tore the house down. I've been thinking about going by there to see if another house is going up there yet. I was by there a couple months ago and it was still a vacant lot.
@WriterAI (5021)
• Bulgaria
@just4him Take care.
@WriterAI Thank you.
It's sad to see the house where you lived many years go. March came in like a lamb and is leaving like a lamb this year.
Yes, it was sad to see it go. I'm glad you're having good spring weather.
@just4him Today is cloudy and a little rain started to come down a few minutes ago.
@LadyDuck I hope today was better than yesterday.
The home couldn't be restored ?
@just4him we bought back the home in West Virginia that my parents once owned. My husband and I have been restoring it since 2003. It was in horrid shape. We are not rich and have made most of the repairs ourself.
@Tampa_girl7 If I could have kept the house, I might have done the same, but I lost it to foreclosure last year.
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I felt sad about the house. :(
Thank you. This was the house that stood there.
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@just4him are you constructing a new one?
@sol_cee No. I lost my home to foreclosure last year. I live in an apartment now.
@DeborahDiane (20129)
• Laguna Woods, California
Congratulations on being so close to the end of your book. My retirement book is going well, too, although I am waiting for the Foreward to be finished, and there will be other things which will take time, too. I am excited about your book. It sounds interesting. Sorry to hear it is snowing!
It's March and Wisconsin, it can do anything here. Yes, I'm very excited the book is almost finished. I've gotten three chapters finished this week so far and hoping for a couple more before the weekend is over. I'm glad your book is also coming along well.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - It is a very satisfying feeling to see a book come together. It feels a little like raising a child! LOL
@DeborahDiane Yes it does.
Well, it sounds like you made the right decision not to try and fix the house. It must be exciting to come to the end of a project like your book.
Yes it is exciting. This is my longest book project. I can't tell you how long I've been working on it - years.
@just4him Good luck!
@paigea Thank you.
@Lubuto (2261)
• Zambia
When do intend to publish Freedom 's cry?
Hopefully before the end of summer. Once I have it finished I need to go over it - the editing and revision phase of the process. I'll also make certain it's grammatically correct where necessary and no typos. There's still a lot to do once the story is finished writing.
@Lubuto (2261)
• Zambia
@just4him That's good, i wish you well.
@Lubuto Thank you.
@cleomich (581)
this is so sad
Thank you. I was surprised and not surprised to see it demolished. There was a lot wrong with the house.
@cleomich (581)
@just4him i wish you a better home
@alberello75 (16616)
• Genova, Italy
To me, would regret to see my home destroyed by a bulldozer.
It was sad, but it wasn't my home any longer.
@alberello75 (16616)
• Genova, Italy
@just4him But now you're anyway in your home completely new, right?