You'll Never Believe What Happened

I made a wonderful pan of lemon squares awhile back and they were delicious. But a single woman living alone cannot consume a whole pan of lemon squares before they go stale, no matter how wonderful they are. I wrote a post about it and there were many suggestions but freezing seemed out of the question because of the texture. You can't freeze tomatoes, they thaw like mush. But it was either freeze or toss. Today I wanted one with coffee this morning and you'll never believe what happened. It was delicious! It didn't freeze solid. I took a bite and it was icy cold but completely edible right from the freezer. Even the crust at the bottom was not frozen solid. My freezer is fine. Every thing else is rock hard except the lemon bars. Crazy!
That is wonderful! Glad to hear that they didn't go to waste!!
Several people suggested I freeze it but I was really leery.
@Jeanniemaries I think I would have been to. It is good to know that it can be done.
@Happy2BeMe I love it when I test out something and I get a good result. Even if they thawed mushy I would KNOW not to do that again, and knowing is the key.
@Asylum (46772)
• Manchester, England
Did you use space dust as one of the ingredients?
Only the stuff I got from my astronaut buddy Bruce ( Melnick).
@Asylum (46772)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries That may have been from the dark side of the moon and therefore accustomed to extreme cold.
@Asylum Not sure he ever circled the moon but it's definitely cold anywhere in outer space.
Oh, so glad that the freezing worked out so well!!! I hate to admit it, but I could eat all the lemon squares all by myself. We have no sweets here due to my lack of self-control.
It's nice to know so when I make them again I have options!
@responsiveme (14359)
A bit of magic
Oh yes, really! Magic!
• Portland, Connecticut
I am not surprised, they have a rather unique texture to begin with so I wouldn't expect them to get all hard. Good news that though.
Yes, the unique texture is what made me think that freezing would make them runny when thawed.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Jeanniemaries Well I am so glad that it proved to be the opposite, it is a shame to waste a good lemon bar lol
@BelleStarr Absolutely! I am also impatient to get on the road north so I can stop and pick up a piece of that coconut cake for the road!
@1creekgirl (8307)
I found out thai if you don't under-bake them, they will be crispy. Be sure to bake them long enough and they shouldn't be chewy.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if these were over baked they would be more like gelatin, not crispy. I've never had a crispy lemon square. It's a filling similar to a lemon pie, not like a cookie.
@Jeanniemaries I baked one batch at 9 minutes and they were chewy, but two batches baked for 11 minutes stayed crispy.
@Kuttu_007 (1022)
Does the taste changed??
Actually no it didn't change at all, but it tasted better to me chilled rather than at room temperature.
@Kuttu_007 (1022)
@Jeanniemaries yummy.....
@1creekgirl (8307)
My crispy orange cookies turned out good! I just used an orange cake mix, 1/2 cup of butter, one cup of rice krispies and one egg.
Are the krispies still crunchy after being wet in the batter?
@Tina30219 (25650)
• Onaway, Michigan
Yum they sound so good I bet they would be good with a chocolate cake mix as well.
@Fishmomma (11574)
I'm glad they can be frozen. I would have taken them out to my neighbors. Now I will freeze some of them in the future.
I don't have neighbors. Only one across the street and I don't know them well enough. My sisters are always trying to diet and are dismayed at receiving treats.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Good thing you chose to freeze these then. It is always nice to have a little something tucked away in the freezer @Jeanniemaries
Yes, It was actually better cold like that.
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
I have frozen lemons before. They are great for adding to a drink.
Oh what a great idea!
Mmmm that is good to know!
It is. It turned out well.
@sol_cee (13157)
• Japan
Did you put any magic ingredient? Lol
Only a simple spell.
@1creekgirl (8307)
I've never frozen anything lemon either, but I love everything with a lemon flavor. In fact, I just found a recipe for crisp lemon cookies that I want to bake. Well, they'll be crisp orange cookies since I only have an orange cake mix, not lemon. Have you ever made cake mix cookies with rice krispies? I'll let you know how they turn out!
Oh that sounds good. I love the idea of rice krispies in cookies. Think of the crunch!
Now you know the next time you make a batch that freezing works. Glad you're enjoying your lemon bars
It was a nice treat with my morning coffee.
@UncleJoe (8069)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I know a couple of single women who could eat the whole pan in one sitting because they don't like to eat on an empty stomach. I suspect that is why they are still single.