Let-Us Entertain You!

The weatherman says there is no further chance of a frost so we are taking him at his word. We went to the local co-op and got our initial plantings. We love the red leaf lettuce and they were buy-one-get-one free. This will be just part of my husband's lettuce collection - the man loves his lettuce! I spotted broccoli called 'stir-fry broccoli' so I had to get a six pack of that. I am the broccoli eater in this house so 6 plants will provide me with enough (gas)..... We do so well with our mushroom mulch raised bed that 2 tomato plants are far more than enough. We have one Big Boy and one Better Boy. I guess we have a male garden Ha Ha! No planting quite yet. The garden has to be turned over and that won't happen until tomorrow after it dries a little. For now we can dream of fresh lettuce and tomato salads Photo is mine.
yes its time now to pant veggie gardens but alas I have no ground Im stuck in a retirement center so here I am.
Maybe you can have a small pot with something in it - do you have good windows with space for a plant?
@AbbyGreenhill no sill on the picture widopw lol
@Hatley sorry.
Good luck with the future planting and a good crop.
Thanks, we are hoping so too.
• Greece
Last week I bought some plants for the window boxes, the old ones had been killed by the frost and even our bushes took a blasting from the wind and the sleet. Hopefully we will be able to undo some of the damage and enjoy a good summer flowering.
We try to wait until mid April but since the weatherman is so sure no more frost we will blame him if things go bad! Good luck with your window boxes.
@sueznewz2 (10132)
• Alicante, Spain
all soinds good to me... hope the weathermen are right...
We do too. Weird, will be 80 tomorrow and 56 Friday.
@sueznewz2 (10132)
• Alicante, Spain
@AbbyGreenhill yeah.. they're big variations aren't they... we don't get such big changes in temp here..
@sueznewz2 technically it's still spring so 80 is way above normal.
@HazySue (22972)
I love planting fresh vegetables. We like the red lettuce, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes (big boy), squash, and onions. I can't wait to eat them.
We don't eat onions but if we grew them they needed to be in the ground a while ago. Squash - we had so many that I have a freezer full and no need to plant more this year.
@HazySue (22972)
@AbbyGreenhill we planted the a couple of moths ago - the onions, that is. We tend to eat a lot of squash.
@HazySue My husband won't eat squash or broccoli or carrots or - so many other veggies. Since I have a lot in the freezer I'll skip the squash this year.
• Eugene, Oregon
We like the red leaf a lot too, and when it dries out some we will plant the lettuce and arugula starts that Anne got ready.
We will probably plant red leaf lettuce three more times...well into October we will have it. Enjoy yours!!!
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Good luck with the planting. I usually have to bring the seeds on in my greenhouse first. The slugs eat the lettuce so I stick to tomatoes now.
I guess we are lucky, not even the bunnies eat our lettuce.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@AbbyGreenhill Perhaps I should try red leaf too.
With all that you will certainly have a garden full of nice veggies. Kitchen gardening is too much fun.
I don't do the work my husband does, so I just enjoy the food!
@AbbyGreenhill that's even better.
@sugartoes (42449)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I wouldn't trust the weather man, cause about the time you do the weather will change & you are like w t ? & there goes the plants.
The lettuce can take cold, the tomato plants we can cover if push comes to shove.
@ridingbet (59325)
wow, those leafy vegetable certainly are good for salads as appetizers. i am just sad because i cannot eat green leafy veggies.
Why can't you eat them?
@ridingbet (59325)
@AbbyGreenhill green leadfy vegetables have high vitamin K content, and this is contraindicated for those who take anticoagulants like Coumadin, of which i maintain this every evening.
@ridingbet I know if you are on coumadin you can't eat green veggies. My husband's uncle took it.
I have started turning over an area of the garden yesterday, I wanted to continue today, but my back hurts, so I am going to skip one day. I told my husband that this year it will be three plants of tomatoes (1 pear shaped, 1 cherry, 1 round) only 1 zucchini a few hot peppers and nothing else.
Sounds like you are downsizing also. With our small space we try to cram too much in so we won't be doing that this year. Careful with that back.
@AbbyGreenhill I do not want to spend hours in summer to water the veggies. Most of the time we have to donate half of what we grow because it's too much. I see no reason to work for something we do not use. I took a hot bath, my back is better now.
@LadyDuck My husband waters every day - but he makes sure to water at the base of the plants so he isn't using much water. As long as watering is consistent it doesn't matter when or how many times. The photo is from a garden two homes prior to this one - it was 50 x 50 and it was amazing check out the sunflowers!
I hear these words, and always think, gee I wish I could figure all this out!
Figure out what?
@AbbyGreenhill gardening and so forth. Right now I have 2 beds out front, well three really, that are over grown, I dont know exactly where to start to get them looking nice.
@Jessicalynnt Well, you roll up your sleeves and get busy - maybe post a photo of it so we know what you are dealing with.
A big lettuce lover; I wonder if that's rare. I wish I were addicted to lettuce or broccoli. Maybe not addicted, but you know what I mean.
We eat salad every day - in winter we have to buy lettuce, so its nice to grow it and eat it for free.
@AbbyGreenhill That sounds great.
I wish i liked vegetables and gardening.
Veggies are good for you!
@AbbyGreenhill maybe but I'm perfectly healthy without.
@mom210 (6773)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope we can pull ours together this year. We did not do one last year the tiller was broke. Hubby worked on it a little but it is still not fixed. Good luck with your garden.
Thanks...Good luck with you r tiller.
I think we are not safe until May 1 st here. I am not sure if I want a garden or not but I am at least thinking about it.
When we lived in Jersey we planted in may
You will have a bounty of good things to eat with that garden!!!
Yes, can't wait - of course it will be a long time for the 'maters!
@LeaPea2417 (21928)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Good luck with your future garden!
Thanks, I don't do the work I just enjoy the fruits of my husband's labor!!
Aww~ That's a lovely bag of lettuces! I bet your garden will turn out magnificent.
Ohh the salad looks so good and even better they're buy one get one. Where was the broccoli underneath?