Me Through The Alphabet 5 (U - Z)

alphabet, me
Denmark
U - Underground I suffer from claustrophobia. When I'm in a city with a tube/underground trains, I can only do so by hypnotising myself. If I reflected on what I was doing, I'd never get in. The confined space! The crowds! The heat! The stink! V - Vinegar For salads I only take Balsamic Vinegar from Modena, Italy, together with olive oil. After washing and conditioning my hair I rinse it with water and apple vinegar to make it shiny. W - Weser I lived on the banks of the Lower Weser river, the stretch between Bremen and Bremerhaven where it flows into the North Sea. As much as I disliked PE I loved paddling in my folding canoe up and down the river (I wrote a post on it). I used to dream of the landscape when I had left the area to go to study in Heidelberg in the south of the country. X - Xanten The only German town whose name begins with an X. The Romans founded it on the Lower Rhine more than 2000 years ago. I haven't been there and will never go. So there. Y - Yeah! British members scolded me once for writing a word the American way. I had reviewed an American novel and used the spelling of the book, but I should have 'translated' it into British English. Ah, well, the Brits will have to come to terms with the sad (?!) fact that American English will win globally if it hasn't done so already. Firstly, take onto consideration the number of speakers in the USA, secondly the economic and political power of the USA, thirdly the number of non-English speaking countries (not the former British colonies) which use English for their foreign affairs. It's American English they use because they orientate themselves towards the more powerful partner and also because it's easier to learn. I prefer British English because I learnt it at school and know it better. Z - Zebra *I* know how many black stripes a zebra has on one side from snout (or is it muzzle?) to tail. Do you, too? Some years ago I composed a quiz for the nearby zoo for 10-year-old pupils. One of the questions was about the stripes of zebras. The children always got more or less the same results. I won't tell you, though. Go and count yourselves! ----- If you're interested in the other instalments, click on the green box above the title. ----- Pic from pixabay
I used to rinse my hair in vinegar until I met an old friend and she joked "And your hair used to smell awful from that vinegar!". She assumed that it was just a phase for me, and I've never used it since. I accept American English, but of course British English is the correct version.
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
@Ronrybs (6937)
• London, England
What did Xanten do to you! While I don't know the number of zebra stripes, I do believe you can tell the species from the pattern and I guess where they live... and which pub they use!
• Denmark
I'd visit Xanten if it weren't ~510 km / ~317 miles away.
@Ronrybs (6937)
• London, England
@MALUSE Fair enough!
American english has become atrocious these days.
@ptrikha_2 (6298)
@teamfreak16 Due to overuse of slang?
@ptrikha_2 (6298)
@teamfreak16 Yes I do not like the overuse of anything, and language should not be made the victim of too much slang.
The next time I encounter a zebra while walking about in the arid grasslands of Ethiopia, I will count how many black stripes a zebra has from snout to tail. You really did grow up in a lovely area and the chance to use that folding canoe! I will through Xanten into conversation now so that I sound much smarter than I actually am. Thank you.
• Denmark
You're welcome! What a great thought that the seeds I'm throwing around here will bear fruit. :-)
I have always used vinegar to rinse my hair, I will always use. My Mom is from Modena, I use Balsamic vinegar too. Last night I had a bad attack of claustrophobia, I do not know for which reason I thought to a movie where a girl was buried alive... well I have to go out to breath.
• Denmark
I've never watched a horror film. I couldn't sleep for ages if I did.
@MALUSE It was not a horror movie it was Kill Bill, I do not remember if the 1 or the 2, but there was that scene and now it is stuck in my mind.
@Gillygirl (16437)
• Sutton, England
I share your dislike of the Underground. In London they are too busy and have horrible escalators which give me vertigo.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I tend to people-watch when there are lots of people around. Then again, I don't like large crowds, unless it's a baseball game.
@FayeHazel (13458)
What word did you spell the American way? I think you made the right choice, since it was spelled that way in the book. Was it the word Color? I know there's a different British spelling for that....
• Denmark
I can't remember which word it was. There's a *very* long list. Have a look: Then there's another long list of different words for the same thing, like lift/elevator; flat/apartment and so on.
Log inPrices & Sign up ContactAccessibility Spelling CoursesWord ListsGames This English spelling course has been written in the UK, by a teacher from the historic city of York. However the course is designed to work for both British and American English s
• Pleasant Hill, California
Colour.
@FayeHazel (13458)
@MALUSE Wow, I didn't know there were so many that are different
@garymarsh6 (12729)
A nice summary of you from A- Z
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think it's muzzle. Funny that zebras can't be domesticated, like horses can.
• Denmark
Which animals have a snout then?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE I'm pretty sure pigs do. What do aardvarks have?
• Denmark
@TheHorse I'm too lazy and tired now (10 p.m.) to check what an aardvark is.
@Shellyann36 (8499)
As I get older I find myself developing claustrophobia. I do not like crowds these days.
• Denmark
With me things also get worse with age.
@MALUSE That is very true. I find it happening every day.
The thought of a fold-up canoe intrigues me. That would have been pretty cool.
• Denmark
Don't you know these? We used to fold our boats and go by train to wherever we wanted to start our tour. Then we paddled downstream for several days as far as we wanted to go, packed up again and returned home. We took our tents and everything we needed in the boats with us. I'm sending you a link. The text is in German but you can look at the photos. Scroll down the page.
Die Klepper Faltboote haben Tradition und Qualität seit über 100 Jahren Hier erhalten Sie Zubehör
@MALUSE Thanks for the link. How cool is that? Vince's brother has several canoes but they are always transported on top of the vehicle. A fold-up one would be much more convenient.
@GreatMartin (4312)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I remember the zebra question!!! Yes it is about time you Brits started to learn correct English--American English!! (Stop throwing things at me!!)
• Denmark
Sorry, but for me, British English is the real thing. I'm neither American nor British, so I'm allowed to say that.
@ptrikha_2 (6298)
@MALUSE Its the older one and the parent one!
I always thought that the amount of stripes that zebra had was random. You taught me something new
• Denmark
No, the number isn't random.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE I hadn't realized that either.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good point about American English. I worry more about the vulgarity that is American culture more than the language, though. I do like the colour and flavour of British English. Hmm. Why am I seeing red lines beneath some of my words?
• Denmark
Your auto correction thingy is overzealous. I have an American spelling corrector which tells me all the time that I've got typos in my text. Hah! I haven't got typos but use the correct British English spelling. It's logical that you can anger your spell check with words like colour and flavour!
@OreoBrownie (3447)
• Elberton, Georgia
I don't like the British spellings. They seem so foreign to me.
@pgntwo (20267)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Haha, good one! I like the cut of your jib, very colorful.
How interesting I like the idea of the alphabet and choosing a letter for reaching thing to write about
• Denmark
Join in and do 'your' alphabet!
I never knew there was a set number of stripes on a zebra, now that is interesting and I learned something, and the fact you are claustrophobic. And here I thought most people wrote in the English manner. Lots of valuable information. Thank you.
I use rich conditioners in my mop of hair.
And the Americans would probably rag on ya for doing it the Brit way. Hehe
@DeborahDiane (17913)
• Laguna Woods, California
Fascinating facts about you. You write American English like a native.
• Denmark
Thanks for the compliment. But American English? I've always written British English because I learnt it at school.
• Laguna Woods, California
@MALUSE - Of course, without an accent, it is impossible to tell in writing. However, I have not noticed many completely British expressions in your writing, so it appears to be American English when I read it.
• Denmark
@DeborahDiane I avoid typical British expressions to make American members happy or write both BE and AE like flat/apartment, lift/elevator or loo/bathroom. No, to be honest, I choose the term 'toilet' because I find 'bathroom' so ridiculous. The Puritan heritage of the USA! I love the sentence: "He went to the bathroom behind a bush." I'm glad that we don't have this problem in German.