Pardon Me, Pardon Me, Pardon Me, Pardon Me!

By
Pardon Me! Excuse Me! Some of you know that I have had to switch shifts at work lately. I still do the same thing, but the only way for me to get hours was for them to put me as a day runner. I was like "whatever gives me hours." This will be my second week doing this, and it's an eye opener. It's been three years since I've worked 2nd shift and I forget how busy it can be at a grocery store. For the most part, people are okay. They might get in my way a bit, or not get the hint, but they do try to get out of the way and that's really all you can ask for. Today was okay, but yesterday... Yesterday I was trying to get between two groups of people. I said "Pardon me, Pardon me, Pardon me, Excuse Me, Excuse Me, Excuse Me" to one group but they did not budge at all. I was tempted to knock my cart into their shins and then go "Whoops so sorry" I didn't though. What I did do, while I was passing by them, is say "Or Not." Meaning, I guess they weren't going to move. Some people man! That's one reason why I prefer third shift. No customers to worry about when putting up stock.. So the next time you are in a grocery store, and someone is putting up stock, be kind and try to move out of their way. Consider that they are trying to keep the shelves full for your convenience, yeah? ** I am a grocery stock clerk. I put up the dry goods, but have had to switch from third shift to second to get any hours at all... I am not sure how long I"ll be on day running, but it's definitely an experience **
I have to do the same as just being a customer. Other people just sit there carts in the way of others, or see someone they knoe and start a conversation right in the middle of aisles.so annoying. Can only imagine how it is as a worker
I saw that today as well. I moved past this woman and she had her cart sort of in the way so I bumped into it by accident. She recovered the cart and I apologized. Then she just moved the cart back where it was and not a second later a customer came up and had to move the cart for her. As a customer, I tend to get a bit snarky to other customers. Like there was once that I had to move a person's cart out of my way and I said "some people could learn to not put their cart in the middle of the aisle!".
@moirai (2311)
This is exactly what I was going to say. Plus, some people walk so slowly in the middle of a small aisle and are not aware that traffic is building up behind them. I try to stay on one side, at least, when I slow down. And I try to be aware of where other people are if I park my cart somewhere. If I notice others looking at the shelf where my cart is, I move it so then can look freely.
@ScribbledAdNauseum ive done that plenty of times. And when you're already in a bad mood it makes things worse lol
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I generally do my grocery shopping first thing in the morning on Saturday's. This is usually about seven fifteen to seven thirty in the morning and because the store just opened they are doing a lot of the stocking still. I always try to stay out of their way and be curtious of what they are doing, and most times I'll talk to them because they are all super friendly.
We are usually out by 6 AM at the latest, and that is when the store opens... I have been to other places that early and the stockers are still working... My manager told me that my grocery chain is considering moving from 3rd shift to 2nd shift but that will be crazy. The majority of the stores have tiny back rooms, and with the dayshift people there to having to run their departments, it would be horrible just trying to get the job done...
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@ScribbledAdNauseum Is it a national chain or just a local chain? I know that one of the grocery store chains here in FL does all their stocking at night, which I would assume would be eaiser on both the store and the workers. But I dont know, Ive worked retail but never somewhere where there was an option for overnight stocking.
@thislittlepennyearns It's regional... I don't think there are any in Florida though. Tennessee, Virginia, and NC (where I am) have them.. . Ever heard of Harris Teeter? That's the store I work for... Yes, having three shifts is just much easier. I imagine that they (the powers that be aka corporate) want to eliminate third shift to save money (they don't have to pay as much) but.... it would be a foolish move because we woudln't be able to get anything done.
That is why I always like working the midnight shift. You can stock shelves with out many people around.
and I would PREFER to do that.. but as I Said, Ihavent' been getting hours and they offered to let me come in and day run.
• Denver, Colorado
I prefer overnight shifts myself.
Quiet Work, I thrive in it...
• Denver, Colorado
@ScribbledAdNauseum - Get more work done, too.
@teamfreak16 Definitely and No BS either... Well, okay, for the most part No BS. aha.
@sishy7 (27592)
yeah, some people are just oblivious to their surroundings...
People being oblivious to their surroundings has always been the case, but it seems as if it's getting worse and worse with everyone having their nose in their phones. Even when I DO have my nose in my phone I am attentive to my surroundings. I also profusely apologize if I do end up in someone's way... Not the case with a lot of people I've seen here lately.
@sishy7 (27592)
@ScribbledAdNauseum similar situation on the roads too, unfortunately...
@sishy7 Definitely and the roads are much more dangerous!!
@Nawsheen (22922)
• Mauritius
I guess this mist have been very inconvenient for you. Very often when we go to the grocery store we can see people like standing in the middle and talking to each other not even thinking that they are preventing other people from passing by. And when you tell them to move when your are passing by they just let you pass by and then get back in the middle to continue the conversation
Atleast the people you are talking about let you pass by. Here it seems more and more just ignore you, or dont think and move, but inevitably in your way more.
@Nawsheen (22922)
• Mauritius
@ScribbledAdNauseum that's very bad. Cant the people see they are blocking the way. It seems like there is no courtesy at al
@katsmeow1213 (29043)
Ok, I like you, and I'm sure you're not one of the rude types of stock clerks.. but let me give you a view of what I put up with... I tend to shop late on Fridays after I get out of work. The store I shop at has already started their night time stocking when I get there. Their carts block everything.. sometimes you can't even get down an aisle because there's huge carts (not shopping carts either) completely blocking the aisle. If it's not in the aisle then it's at the end of it, but still in the way and still an inconvenience. Then they're also rude as heck. They walk right in front of you as if you're not even there, they don't seem to care if you're trying to get an item that they're standing in front of. Heaven forbid you say excuse me to them.. they glare at you like you're the scum of the earth for interrupting! While seeing them and putting up with this all I can think is that I'm the customer, they're an employee of the store... shouldn't they be a bit more courteous towards the customers? Because after all, without the customers stock clerks wouldn't have a job!
I know what "carts" you are talking about. We use those types of carts in the backroom, and only role them out late at night. We also have rules that we can't bring a pallet out to the floor until after ten PM. Our store closes at midnight. When I am stocking late at night, before the store closes... I place my buggy (shopping cart that I put cardboard in) to one side and my Silver Cart (a smaller "float" that is used to bring freight onto the floor) to the same side... I also step as close to the gondalas (Shelves) as possible when someone needs to pass by me. If I am stocking something where they need to reach I get it for them and they (the customer) go on their happy way. Even if it's a pallet I have on the floor, it's as close to the shelving as possible, and out of the customers way for the most part... Of course we don't run into many customers late at night... We have store policies we have to adhere to during business hours... Like I said 10 pm is when we can bring pallets to the floor. We can bring carts out a little earlier, but it still has to be out of the customers way... ____ Customer POV _____ As a customer, I too have come across the ruder type of stock clerks. The ones with merchandise everywhere and who don't acknowledge you. I like to point out that I am a stock clerk as well and that it's easier to help the customer than to hinder them.. They (the customers) are out of your "hair" faster that way. Of course it's not often I come across these types of stock clerks, but it's usually the bigger walmarts that have the rudest ones. ____ Additional Stock Clerk StandPoint ____ Like I said, it's been a real experience doing stock during the day these past two weeks. I've noticed that the elderly are the most patient and kind. They tend to move out of my way without being asked, even when I say I am happy to wait until they've got what they needed. It's the ones younger than me that are the worst, but the ones my age and a bit older can be just as bad. What I loathe the most is when a parent doesn't try to get their child to move when it's clear they are in my way. Most parents do, but I have come across a few who don't seem to notice. I don't like to say anything to the kids, I know that some parents can be touchy feely about that.. Even if it's as innocent as "Hey sweetie could you please let me by?" '
@ScribbledAdNauseum Parents are a whole other subject.. you're right a lot of them are touchy about you saying a single word to their kids, although the children of that type of parent are the ones who need to be spoken to the most! Yes, I shop mostly at Walmart.. I hate it with a passion, but it's most affordable and convenient for me. Plus there's a few items I get there that nobody else has, and I hate to make too many stops. As it is I do half of my shopping at Costco and finish it off at Walmart... so adding another to the list just to avoid Walmart is sort of a pain.. They seem to put their pallets out around 6pm. I get there close to 7.. all the pallets are out already and blocking up the main aisles, and the clerks are busy stocking away. They don't care that there are customers around. They act like the store is empty. Some of the things you hear them say.. ugh! Now I mean there are some that are nice.. if I am looking at an area where they're stocking or their cart is parked they'll ask if I need them to move, or if they can grab something for me... but others will ignore me and sometimes I move their cart myself! But then again there's really not much of anything I do like about Walmart.. except for their flavored water and the fact that they have their own brand of Splenda which is like $5 cheaper than real Splenda, which is what I take in my coffee.. Those are basically the reasons I shop at Walmart. Otherwise I'd prefer Wegman's... but I tend to get stressed when I shop there because I can't find much of what I'm looking for as I'm too used to shopping at Walmart.
Wow after working nights so long this has to be a big adjustment for you but I am glad to see you are getting more hours ! I really dislike when people refuse to move when you say excuse me. Sometimes they get mad about it as well. It definitely makes sense why you would prefer the ease of being able to be free of customers working nights.
I have to really check my attitude to. I was so tempted to tell that person how I felt about them ignoring me.. or like I said, knock into their shins. That way they would hopefully learn to move when someone says excuse me. I wasn't exactly being quiet either. I can't hear well out of one ear so I tend to be a bit louder than others. Still, after saying pardon me (5x I might add) and then excuse me (a further five times)... Yes, I wish I didn't have to work 2nd to get the hours, but then again I am left completely to my own devices on this shift... so...
@ScribbledAdNauseum wow sounds like they literally were ignoring you on purpose. Then if you yelled loud enough to get them to move out of the way when you said excuse me someone like that might report you for being rude... Instead of seeing how rude they were being. There was a worker today and his rack and boxes took up half the aisle and people stood waiting like he should move. I simply turned my cart around and went down another aisle. He was busy and people could take turns going by him one by one they didn't need to stand there expecting him to move when he had a job to stock the shelf.
I do get out of their way
A good amount do I am sure.. but on a day to day basis, it seems I see more of the ruder ones than the polite ones.
@shivamani10 (11170)
• Hyderabad, India
It is really terrible to manage the grocery store with that work. You will be disturb time and again.
Which is why stock clerks usually work third.. but as I Said they have created a new position as "day runner" and I've filled that for the past two weeks.