Fresh air, here I come!

@CoralLevang (37061)
The sun is shining and I am sitting here in the computer lab at the Veterans' Center? Since it is so beautiful today, I am going to leave and get in a good walk and go home. I need to find my text book that I walked out of the house without this morning! It was strange to be in the Spanish 1 class today with several people who have not taken any more than a beginning class in high school. Some of the classmates are from Spanish-speaking households or have a grandparent who speaks, but know very little from a grammatical perspective. It will be a good review of the basics for all of us, since the basics in my life ended in the early 1970s! I shall check-in with you all tonight. I hope you are having a great day! Now, about that sunshine and fresh air!!.... Photo credit: Pixabay, Public domain, "Fresh air"
• Peoria, Arizona
It sounds fun to take a foreign language class. I never go to take one in high school. Which is really odd and also I am lucky that I never went to a college in my state because apparently it is required to have 2 credits of a foreign language class to go in haha! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
@CoralLevang (37061)
So, start with duolingo.com. It's fun!
• Peoria, Arizona
@CoralLevang Haha unfortunately, duolingo does not have Japanese.
@CoralLevang (37061)
Have a wonderful walk!
@CoralLevang (37061)
It's sunny but a little bit of cloud cover or haziness. This is what I saw today and I love the trees against the sunny sky
@CoralLevang (37061)
@marguicha oh don't tell me that and ruin my romantic vision of what South America is! I didn't need to hear Home Depot! Haha
@CoralLevang I remember that when I went to the US for the first time (I was a child) all the kids in my class asked me whether we lived in adobe houses. In fact, our houses are much better built than most houses in the US because we live in an earthquake country. Yes dear, we have home depots and Mc Donalds (although I don´t frecuent Mc Donalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken. And we don´t have forests where I live. And we don´t grow bananas, we import them
Breath deep and take it all in.
@CoralLevang (37061)
Yes! It was beautiful. Today was grey, but warm.
@minx267 (11174)
• Hartford, Connecticut
Not sure where you are.. but the sun is shining here too! great day. The dogs enjoyed playing outside too!
@CoralLevang (37061)
I live in Silverdale, Kitsap Peninsula, Washington. Glad you have some sunshine,too! You had a tough winter this year.
@minx267 (11174)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@CoralLevang We had winter ,spring winter and now I think spring again.. this up and down weather is crazy.
@CoralLevang (37061)
@minx267 We've had our share of the same, only our winters aren't as harsh as you up on the east coast.
I have started up with duolingo again, but am thinking I may work on german this time.
@CoralLevang (37061)
When I was using Duolingo before I started taking classes comma I was actually working on two languages. I'm really like Duolingo
@CoralLevang I do too, Ive been told it's like rosetta stone and from what I read that program has good success
@CoralLevang (37061)
@Jessicalynnt I've never used Rosetta Stone but somebody told me that Duolingo reminded them of Rosetta Stone
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
It always does some good to learn another language. I think the learning process is lifelong. We just keep on learning. Well nice to hear that the weather is nice over there. Have fun
@CoralLevang (37061)
I am older in life (61-yo), and I agree. LIFELONG,
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
@CoralLevang yes thats true. Hope that you had a nice walk
@CoralLevang (37061)
@Nawsheen It was nice! Now it's raining buckets!!!
Hope you enjoyed your walk.
@CoralLevang (37061)
I did! It is still 53F/12C and almost 8 p.m.!
@CoralLevang wow that is nice.
@CoralLevang (37061)
@Happy2BeMe Tomorrow will be cloudy and then the next few days will be rainy, but the days are all to be about that same temperature. Spring is upon us!
@Ronrybs (7077)
• London, England
I've been enjoying the fresh air and the last couple of days it has been well sunny. I keep thinking about an evening class, but I get too settle by late afternoon to want to move and engage the old brain
@CoralLevang (37061)
That's why I take morning classes. My earliest is at 10 o'clock and then 2 days a week I have one from 1 to 3:15
@Ronrybs (7077)
• London, England
@CoralLevang Morning is tea time!
@CoralLevang (37061)
@Ronrybs and I like to have my coffee or tea around 3 in the afternoon
How many times are you going to take Spanish 1?
@CoralLevang hey good for you. I'd like to learn Spanish. We are going to Mexico next week and luckily everyone there speaks English. I know no Spanish except for the most minimal phrases.
@CoralLevang yes we've got that down. and we know to as for " yellow" (probably not actually spelled that way), and all sorts of random phrases like butter and no more tequila.
@CoralLevang (37061)
@NJChicaa *laughs* You'll do fine! Have a great time!
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Sometimes those who speak Spanish don't do too well because of what you mentioned: the grammatical perspective. Just like those who speak English taking English 101!
@CoralLevang (37061)
Exactly! For instance, many say, "Es no bueno," for it is no good. However, in Spanish this is not a good use of their language. The word, "no" negates the verb, not the adjective or a noun. No es bueno. No es una problema. How many times in California I grew up hearing, "Es no problema" from native Spanish speaking people from Mexico. My professor told me that by saying it incorrectly is like the difference between saying, " I do not have any" vs. " I ain't got none." Since she is a South American highly educated woman, es no bueno sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@CoralLevang Fingernails on a chalkboard must be what many with English as their first language sound like to the English professors as well.
@CoralLevang (37061)
@PatZAnthony Yes... I said something the other day about "having swum" somewhere. I was corrected by a young person, who is very bright....told that I should say that I "have swam".... I just thanked her and walked away knowing better. I've learned to pick my battles.... swim, swam, have swum drink, drank, have drunk
A basics class, huh? That's always good. To start from the beginning. Enjoy!
@CoralLevang (37061)
I'm actually going back to take Spanish one which I never took. I just jumped into Spanish too. So taking one and then 3 in the same quarter
@CoralLevang .....I see. Have fun.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Cheech and Chong have a funny line in one of their moves about people from Spanish-speaking households who take Spanish.
@CoralLevang (37061)
And that line is?
@KrauseHome (32798)
This would be interesting. I took French in HS which was over 35 yrs ago. Learned some Spanish in the 90s and find with both language I am really rusty now.
@CoralLevang (37061)
In September, if they do not offer Spanish in the 200 series, then I am going to take the first class of French. I have not taken French. And because of something that happened to me when I was six years old, I was never interested in it. I think it's time I get past that phobia
@silvermist (15351)
@CoralLevang Fresh air -we never get enough of that.Both the photos are good.
@CoralLevang (37061)
It will rain the rest of the week into the weekend. As much as I do not like to don coats and boots, I need to make myself walk in the rain. You are so correct about getting enough.
I have forgotten all spanish i learned in school
@CoralLevang (37061)
Until September of this last year I had not studied it since 1972 when I graduated from high school. You would be surprised as to how much you start to remember after you start taking it for a while
@shivamani10 (9366)
• Hyderabad, India
I like Spanish very much. i did an Advanced Diploma in Spanish. But, the problem with learning the language is pronunciation.
@CoralLevang (37061)
My first teacher in Spanish was from Cuba. My second Spanish teacher was from Colombia. My two professors at University are from Uruguay and The Basque country of Spain. My first experience in Spanish was learning it when I was 11 years of age. So when I speak it, many people think that I speak much more fluently than I do. I can pronounce it quite well, it's remembering words that I have trouble with it this stage of my life.
We had 2 1/2 inches of rain, the sun came out about 5ish. It's beautiful now and will be sunny tomorrow. I did walk out on the porch to check something, that was my fresh air.
@CoralLevang (37061)
I hope we have some more sun in the next couple of days, but it doesn't look like we're going to have too much. I'm getting what I can today!
So good to hear you have sunshine and you will get out and enjoy it. No sunshine here for many, many days. When it comes, a happy day it will be.
@CoralLevang (37061)
The forecast says we're not supposed to have Sunshine but some rain here in the next few days so I'm getting what I can today