Time for someone to go on a diet...

By JJ
Looked out the front window early this morning and noticed the squirrels had knocked the bird feeder down...again...first time in a year, I thought I had it hung pretty good now. Then I looked...again. And I don't know if we have a 500 pound squirrel in the neighborhood or what, but something snapped the branch the feeder hung on in two last night. Must have been a raccoon because the birds and squirrels don't come out at night, but I have never seen a raccoon on that section of the tree either. So I guess I'll haul the branch to the brush pile later and decide where to re-hang the feeder.
Can a raccoon take down a big branch like this? May be it's Rocky.
@LadyDuck I would have expected it to break nearer to the trunk too instead of two inches from where the feeder hung
@JolietJake It broke before the thief could reach the feeder.
@LadyDuck I really thought at first they had just knocked the feeder down when I didn't see it hanging there through the window...it was still dark and my porch light stopped working yesterday, wasn't until I went out that I saw the entire branch was down
I would say it was probably a raccoon trying to steal the bird food. He must have gotten a scare when the tree snapped and he feel because most raccoons would have taken the bird feeder with them when they left.
@JolietJake I know they will climb trees I have seen them do that. Not sure whatever it could be if it was big enough to snap the branch.
@Happy2BeMe Oh, I have photos of them eating corn there, but I've never seen one go out on the branch and try to get to that bird feeder
@JolietJake Look at him go! Good shot.
@crossbones27 (18555)
• Redlands, California
Sorry I accidentally sent you a black bear cub. He was looking for his father and I said Yogi went that way, now get out of here Boo Boo. You get my dogs to excited with your fake picnic baskets. Trump bears I tell you.
The birds and squirrels have been having "WTF??" moments this morning
• Redlands, California
@JolietJake Welcome to America. or the new America. No one told them Trump was elected. Poor guys.
@crossbones27 There was a squirrel there trying to figure it out but by the time I got the camera he had left
I have a great book by Sterling North about 'his' raccoons. They sound interesting creatures.
Scar and I have both been rather fond of 'ours'...they are pretty much the only animal He tolerates in His yard
@JolietJake It seems they are quite intelligent. The ones in the book used to ring a bell on the verandah and be fed a piece of bread. They'd just take a piece then move on and make way for the next raccoon. Then, as the youngsters came along, the old ones taught them to ring the bell.
I read the title of your post and thought you were talking about me. I certainly need to have a diet.
That branch would have broken long ago if I had tried to feed there
@JolietJake Me too. Only I´d go and get a good ladder
@diosabella (4822)
Yep its your friend in the neighbor. They were getting all the nutrients instead of the birds. What's the reaction of Scar with these intruders?
Scar is trying to figure out what happened too
@JolietJake Looks like Scar is investigating the crime in his Kingdom. Will the culprit's head roll in the end?
@Morleyhunt (19539)
We seem to have a constant war with the squirrels that maraud our bird feeders. The slinky held them off for four months...but it has been breached.
I remember you talking about putting that up...schneaky guys got past it finally huh?
Could it be a fat squirrel, they tend to like to try to eat out of bird feeders too.
Squirrels don't feed after dark
Nope. not even that incident would convince that night culprit to go on diet or exercise. I can't even do it this month, how can he lol
I'm a bit flummoxed trying to decipher what happened
There's action in your back garden. :-)
Just hung this one up
No bad weather that could have weakened the branch?
Nope, pretty calm last night...no storms I know of
• Marion, Kansas
I was thinking raccoon. Probably you do not see them on that section cause most of them are smart enough to realize it would break. This was a dumb one. Either that or you have bears?
No bears I know of, unless one was just passing through town
@minx267 (12827)
• Hartford, Connecticut
Bears like to eat bird food...
@BarBaraPrz (19420)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Squirrels are little thugs in fur coats. The ones around here, anyway. They keep digging in my flowers, even in the potted plants I put out in the summer. They kept chewing on the plums while the plums were still green, depriving me of my plums, to the point that I just cut down the tree. Now nobody gets any plums. They also like to chew on the little green tomatoes. And they chew their way into attics and rip up the insulation.
Mine are fairly well behaved, but since so many feed them around here, and there are tons of trees, they don't get up to any mischief
@BarBaraPrz (19420)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JolietJake Lucky you.
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Oh my! The plot thickens...
I'll probably never find out what really went on last night...
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@JolietJake Possibly. At least you didn't have a storm or heavy winds last night.
Racoon's can ruin fun like that, I remember my chihuahua playing outside with the cat and out of nowhere a racoon's jumped on the fence dog and cat booked it back into the house so fast.
must have been a really fat racoon to break the branch os he branch was a bit weak I have never seen a cioin climb trees but they probably do or a fat neighbors cat lol lol lol
I've got several photos of ours in the tree out front
@EddieHands (37856)
Meow now that is a huge squirrel lol
Sumbeech musta been 10 foot tall!
I think Scar has something to do with this.
Dang! Maybe one of the squirrels or raccoons gets really mad and turns into the Incredible Hulk at night!