Who Was Bucephalus?

Dolomites
Horses have played an important part in the history of humankind. Researching horses was something I did a lot of, when I wrote my novel back in the 1980s. Now, I’m revisiting some of my notes. I can’t write about famous horses, without mentioning Bucephalus, the favorite horse of Alexander the Great! He received this horse, when Alexander was just a young boy, and it was said that no one could break or ride this horse except Alexander, who eventually rode Bucephalus on many military campaigns. His mastery over this supposedly untameable horse was said to have enhanced his stature as a world conqueror. This famous horse died in India in 326 B.C. I find it amazing that ancient history includes information about this horse for us to read today. But, it indicates how important horses were at that time. I’m a fan of anything to do with horses. I have never owned a horse but I did ride horses when I was younger. Have you ever ridden a horse? Do you own a horse? I love this photo of the horses in the Dolomites.
• Riga, Latvia
Love the photo. I love horses but have ridden one only once. They are wonderful animals. Interesting about Alexander the Great. Here's one of me and a horse. I always love taking photos with them.
I love the different harnesses that are used in the various countries. We don't see this type of harness here. I'm talking about the wooden frame over the neck.
Great photo! That is certainly an interesting harness. Do you know what that particular type of harness is used for?
• Riga, Latvia
@IreneVincent That is for a horse that is pulling a wooden cart. There is a cart behind this horse.
@Asylum (46837)
• Manchester, England
Bucephalus must be the best known historical horse and even more famous than Comanche.
Comanche was definitely a famous horse of more recent history. Here is a link with more information.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search For other uses of "Comanche", see Comanche (disambiguation). Comanche in 1887 photographed by John C. H. Grabill Comanche was a mixed-breed horse who survived General George Armstrong Custer
@Asylum (46837)
• Manchester, England
@IreneVincent He certainly was because Bucephalus was well before Christ.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
I don't trust horses, I am sure they are just pretending to be vegetarian!
Some horses can be mean and will bite you if they get a chance.
@horsesrule (1962)
I love horses and I, too, am a fan of anything to do with horses. I had a horse when I was a kid and that was a good way to grow up, riding all the time. I do not have horses any longer because they are so expensive to have and take proper care of. I hope to one day or maybe even one of the mini horses. I love the photo too, so pretty!
I'm glad you enjoyed the photo of the horses in the Dolomites. I hope that you will be able to own a horse one day. I have some friends with horses and have been invited to ride, but I know I can't anymore.
@dragon54u (31298)
Those are beautful horses! I rode a horse just a couple of times and never learned to ride properly. When I was a girl my grandpa had a pony named Tally. We would go out into the pasture and jump on his back and he would head straight to the barn and rub us off! It was fun riding from the pasture to the barn, though!
The last time I rode a horse was about 8 years ago. I had no trouble getting on the horse and riding slowly around the field, but when it came time to get off the horse, my legs just wouldn't do what I wanted them to do and I had to have help getting off the horse. It was very embarrassing and I decided that day that I would put riding horses on my "never do again" list.