Border Crossings

@Jackalyn (6837)
Oxford, England
The first post I read this morning was about crossing the Canadian /US border. I have never had to do that. However the post set off some memories. Crossing from Turkey to Greece in the 1970's with rucksacks on our backs my ex husband and I were searched. The guards picked up the suspicious looking white bullet like things in my pack. Eventually, after my ex shouting at them "for a woman!" for some time they looked very sheepish and let us through. However we then had to empty our packs on the Greek side as well It seems tampons were known to the Greeks and not the Turkish at the time.
I am not surprised that they were not known to the Turkish, men in that country know nothing about women, still in our days, women are only "objects".
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
Well some men.
@Jackalyn Most of them there, even their laws are against the women.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
@LadyDuck Yes. Actually I have met a few enlightened ones. There again living near Oxford can attract such people to study.
I almost feel sorry for the poor guys.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
I was trying hard not to laugh. Women laughing at some middle eastern men could be dangerous!
@Jackalyn Goodness me! You wouldn't want to laugh. I felt quite unsafe at Dubai airport in 2015. As a woman, I definitely felt like a second-class citizen. No smiles, no acknowledgments - quite intimidating really.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
@JudyEv When I was in Iraq I made friends with somebody's sister. She was by far the most intelligent. He seriously told me she would not be able to understand how to play dominoes!
@Morleyhunt (20691)
We cross the border frequently and have only been "searched" once. With three teenage girls and me using the van for work....they opened the glove box....several sanitary napkins....looked in everyone's purse....seemed we all had a couple. My daughters were mortified....my husband a bit chagrined.....I thought it was hilarious.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
It must be very puzzling to the very young guards
@Morleyhunt (20691)
@Jackalyn the guards were probably wondering if we had stock in the company.....every compartment or bag they opened seemed to have one or two.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
@Morleyhunt I guess with girls at that age you would.
@dodo19 (33577)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
That must not have been the most pleasant experience. We have never been searched and I'm happy we haven't. We've been pretty lucky.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
It was pretty annoying. Packing all you have in one rucksack is a work of art.
Were you embrassed or did it seem funny to you.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
More annoyed.
@PainsOnSlate (20508)
What an experience. When i crossed our border long ago when my children were still in the car with me, we were searched and had to leave the car and go inside. When we got back my youngest ( a diabetic) back pack was open and his needle and meds were showing, I asked why and the woman I asked said just to let you know that we did search and we understand diabetic people carry needles... I guess if it wasn't opened i would think they didn't look..???
lol Not so surprising that, lol. I have had my backpack search at Heathrow, I enjoyed the discomfort of seeing my teddy come out first lol
Ah, well. The Greeks probably invented them! How funny, but those poor guards!
that is funny but embarrassing! I have been pulled over and searched a number of times while entering the US. Then had to fill out paperwork. I found it embarrassing and frustrating. I haven't been to the US in years now. It just always seemed like such a hassle while other people just drove on through without a problem.
Funny thing! The guards were actually ignorant of it and got really paranoid.
That must have been a bit embarrassing for you.
I used to be a crossing guard in the 70's. Okay, okay...I was in 6th grade and I was a 'patrol boy' making the cars stop so kids could go across the street on the crosswalk in front of school, but...
Oh how funny reminds me of a small child picking one up and not understanding what it is hard to believe border control could be so uninformed