One Thing I Like About My Country

By Gill
@Gillygirl (16793)
Sutton, England
There are many good and bad things to weigh up when thinking about the good and bad in a country. The UK has a lot going for it at times. I particularly like the good old unpredictable British weather. It is a huge topic of conversation among us Brits. In the winter we moan as it's cold. When it rains we complain as it's too wet. In hot weather many run for shade. We have the odd extremes such as flooding but don't suffer extremities that other nations do such as tornado's. The rain ensures our water supply and keeps our crops alive. The cold kills of those nasty little bugs so there are less to plague us later in the year. I could wax lyrical about this. Days like today are a treat as it has been warm and sunny. No midges are out yet and the gardens are a riot of colour. The blooms have been brought on by early sunshine. It is nice to sit outside a pub and have some lunch. Oh to be in England! Is there one aspect that you really like about your country? It needn't be the weather. The photo was taken during my min-break 3 weeks ago outside a country pub where we had lunch.
• Olney, Illinois
Yes. I especially love having Donald Trump as my President
Are you kidding me here? I think you are!
• Olney, Illinois
@marlina Do I look like the kind of person that would lie?
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I don't believe you JJ. I used to want to visit the USA but his manic border control and wanting to know about people's social media preferences etc is becoming too much.
Love that photo, it looks so peaceful/
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
It is a peaceful location but very popular in the summer.
@Morleyhunt (19133)
I love all the differences in Canada. We have beaches...ocean front and lake front....we have mountains and plains....I live in an area that has a lot of marsh lands...but I can drive for 35 minutes and be amidst vineyards and orchards. What's. It to like....oh I don't like the taxes...
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Canada is a land full of contrasting scenery. I would love to visit there. It would be nice to be stinking rich without the taxes.
@pgntwo (21315)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Your country and my country are part of a third country. My country will be the only quarter of that third country to share a land border with another EU country in 2 years' time. Confusing, huh?
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Unless Scotland becomes independent which I can't see happening. How far are you from Southern Ireland?
@pgntwo (21315)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Gillygirl About 2 miles as the crow flies, 9 miles in the car.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@pgntwo Do you get shoppers coming over the border?
I love the US. But also haven't been anywhere else.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I have been to many countries in Europe but overall I prefer Britain's scenery. I would like to see some of the National parks in the USA as they look stunning.
@Gillygirl i live here and never seen them. But yes they do
@garymarsh6 (13100)
Although I love going abroad there is nothing like coming home to England and the familiarity of the UK. There are so many things we take for granted. We are lucky.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
It's home isn't it? Scenery may look stunning whilst away but there is something about Britain.
@garymarsh6 (13100)
@Gillygirl You are right there one thing was noticeable was the bus driver picking us up from the airport to the car park. He was a right miserable git. I said blimey what a welcome back to the UK
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 LOL! Even our miserable old gits can be funny.
@bunnybon7 (34958)
• Holiday, Florida
you just described Ohio in my country. i think my country just has so many different climates and weather in different states it hard to lump any of it together besides the fact of ethnic types grouping together in most living spaces. so yes that is all the things i love about my state in my country of which i wish i could still live there instead of this forsaken state called Florida
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
What is it you don't like about Florida?
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@bunnybon7 Oh dear that is not so good.
There is so much to like about England. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, though I'm not averse to spending some of the winter abroad.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I wouldn't want to live anywhere else either but the idea of spending time abroad in winter is very appealing.
• Pamplona, Spain
Lots of things like the Mountains and the Sea. A lot of land here you are not allowed to go on but you can go along paths alongside them. I love England above any other its only natural that I should do.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
It's easy when we are born nationals. Britain does have a lot going for it. I do like other countries but there's no place like home. Roast beef and Yorkshire pud, fisn and chips and seaside rock. Yum!
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gillygirl See I got married here to a Spanish Guy and although I am happy here Britain is my Home they can call me an Expat whatever they like but its just not true. I am not here for the Sun or the Coast. I am here because of someone. People back there have found that really hard to understand.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@lovinangelsinstead21 They shouldn't find it hard. I know two girls who married Greeks and settled for Island life. An Ex Pat is someone who isn't influenced by another person but wants a new life in the sun.
I will talk about the country where I live, Switzerland, what I like more about this country is the silence and the fact that everything is neat and clean, the opposite of my native country (Italy).
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I must admit that after the UK Switzerland for the reasons you state would be my choice of country to live. The scenery is superb too. I like Italy but I'm afraid to cross the roads in some areas.
@Gillygirl Italy is a beautiful country, but it is no more a safe place where to live, for many reasons.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@LadyDuck Many countries in Europe are like that now sadly.
@Daljinder (20928)
I like the food and culture about my country.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I like the food and hearing about the culture of your country.
@Daljinder (20928)
@Gillygirl Yeah and there is so much of elaborate history. It's fascinating to me. I am still learning about it.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@Daljinder I don't know a lot about Indian history.
@ridingbet (43795)
our country has many tourist spots but what is not good in my country though, is the government and president we have. in my own opinion, our president is unbecoming to be one, and he is also a male chauvinist.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I have seen many beautiful photos of the tourist spots in the Philippines. Yes I have heard unfavourable reports about the President.
@ridingbet (43795)
@Gillygirl yes, and i think these bad remarks from foreign personalities and companies, is giving a bad image of our country; and yet the government is promoting tourism. in a terrorist-laden country?
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@ridingbet My friend in Manila told me to ignore reports of terrorism and that it is safe for tourists.
England is a very attractive country for me. At first, it has many ancient and beautiful constructions there and it is quite different from here. Besides, it has famous museums and I'd like to visit. As to my country, I think the pollution is a big problem. I like the food in my country because everywhere has its special dishes.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I do like Chinese food. London is polluted but not as bad as cities in China. What museums would you be interested in?
@Gillygirl The British Museum is one of the most famous museums in the world. And I am quite interested in it. I like paintings. Besides, the science museum is very fantastic and my son is so crazy about it. We like watching documentaries and we have seen it but we haven't visited it yet.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@youless I have been to both and they are very interesting. I haven't been to the War Museum yet. I would find that fascinating.
I love England and its gorgeous green rolling countryside. I love the geographical diversity of the USA and all that my country stands for. It's my home.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
As you know Dianne I would love to visit many places in the USA. England does have lovely countryside and historical places. I want to see some of your national parks.
@Gillygirl We have lots of those, too, and some many wonderful cities with fabulous food, theater, and shopping.. I should also mention our two fabulous coastlines, rivers, lakes, mountains, blah, blah, blah. Lol! My hubs wants to visit England again, and soon.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@DianneN Well if you do visit then let me know.
@dpk262006 (56098)
We live in Delhi and we sometimes also face unpredictable weather. However, one thing which I like about my city is that we get to experience each type of weather, be it summer at its peak, rainy season or harsh winter. The picture is awesome.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Thank you. Until I joined this site I thought India was always hot.
@dpk262006 (56098)
@Gillygirl Specially in North of India, we experience all three kinds of weather.
@dpk262006 (56098)
@HAPPSINGH We are lucky dear, people who live in coastal areas e.g. Mumbai experience same weather through out the year.
The midges would be a pain. We didn't have too much trouble with them when we were over there, thank goodness.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
We have some but I can't say they bother me. On my last visit to Malta this mozzies were a nightmare. What is one thing you really like about Australia?
@Gillygirl I guess the weather would have to be a bonus. We might have a few really hot days in summer and a few really cold (though only in our terms) ones in winter but we get so much nice weather we can put up with the other bits.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv The midges are now out in force as it hit 25 today.
We lived in England when I was a baby. My parents loved it there.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
I didn't know that. Whereabouts in England did they live?
@Gillygirl in Witney and Carterton. I had my first birthday there in 1963.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@Tampa_girl7 I know Witney it is a very pretty village.
@dhoyalahoy (1419)
Patriotism starts by knowing the story of your place, the history of your country and your stand... Do you know who you really are.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Yes I certainly know who I am. Do you know who you are?
@Gillygirl That's you can write those because you know who you are and that's great.
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@dhoyalahoy Can you tell me one thing you like about your country?
• Preston, England
pubs are my favourite aspects of life in the UK
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
That doesn't surprise me lol. They can be a good meeting place but the price of drinks now means many don't socialise for a whole evening.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl I ddon't get to drink as much as I used to
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@arthurchappell I used to enjoy a drink but get terrible headaches so I abstain a lot now.
@FayeHazel (15107)
Beautiful picture! I would like knowing that you guys have much older buildings and structures than we do here, also you have Stonehenge which I would totally love to see
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
Stonehenge is interesting although you can't walk up to the stones. What do you like about the USA?
@FayeHazel (15107)
@Gillygirl Ah, I had heard they put a fence around it. Disappointing but I suppose to protect it is a good thing. Actually heard that there are many more henges.... Hm - let me think... I'll narrow it down a bit to this state -- Minnesota -- I like that we do experience all 4 seasons (though sometimes get cheated out of spring and fall a little) I like that there are a lot of hills, rivers, lakes and ponds here I like that there is a lot of wildlife and cities, with big distances of country
@Gillygirl (16793)
• Sutton, England
@FayeHazel Minnesota does sound interesting. There are a lot more henges which are not as busy as Stonehenge.