Where are all the new £1 coins?

@Asylum (48224)
Manchester, England
As many may now be aware, Britain has introduced a new £1 coin and the old one is due to be removed from circulation by 15th October. Apparently 300 million new £1 coins were released on 28th March. It is also quite reasonable to assume that the Royal Mint is currently minting more every day, which are also being introduced into circulation. Despite having received many £1 coins in my change since 28th March, I have not even seen a single new coin yet. I am beginning to wonder where they are all ending up and whether the banks are simply not circulating them as was intended. I am aware that we have several billion £1 coins in circulation and the old ones will be by far the most prolific, but considering the number of £1 coins that I have handled over the past 9 days I would have expected to have been given at least one.
Man...I don't know about that...coins that weigh one pound...better hope you have a good belt on your trousers
@pgntwo (22502)
• Carthage, Tunisia
The new ones are lighter, and flashier, than the old one.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
That was actually the origin of the name pound and referred to one pound of silver back in Roman times.
@pgntwo More plastic? Seriously, the pennies here these days...they even sound plastic. I think they may be copper coated but I'm not even sure about that.
@pgntwo (22502)
• Carthage, Tunisia
I got one in my change today. Very glittery. And dated 2016...
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
There were a great number of them minted in 2016.
@pgntwo (22502)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@Asylum Pre-Brexit coinage. Hmmm....
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@pgntwo Certainly well pre Brexit and even pre King Arthur.
@Orson_Kart (4487)
I've not seen one yet, and like you I have reluctantly received the old ones as change. I have seen lots of the new fivers, so I do believe the new pound coins exist. Just not in my vicinity.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
Someone must have them, but I cannot imagine who.
@Asylum Someone dropped a £50 jackpot on the bandit in the Rovers Return last night and that was all in old pound coins. I'd want to be swapping them asap.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@Orson_Kart I have many old £1 coins because I was collecting them in an old one gallon whisky bottle.
@ridingbet (59405)
oh, i hope my brother in UK knows about this.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
He certainly must know by now, but may not have actually seen one yet.
@ridingbet (59405)
@Asylum i chatted with him, and he already knows it. thanks
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@ridingbet I wonder if he is hogging them all.
That does seem a bit odd. I wonder what the explanation is.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I suspect that those Australians have collected them all because they miss the old currency.
@Asylum We have our own perfectly good currency with attractive patterns so there is no way we need yours - unless it came free of course.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv You did use pounds, shillings and pence previously, so maybe you have become nostalgic.
While you were busy searching for those coins I was searching for the pound sign which I do not find on my keyboard. You are lucky at least you have that sign with you. (lol)
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
The £ sign is on my keyboard, but you may notice that it does not appear in the tags. I typed £1 for both the title and the tag, but tags do not seem to support it.
@Asylum I thought I had the most sohpisticated keyboard atleast that's what my technician tells me. Atleast you have that sign. Be grateful
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing It is on a British keyboard because it is our currency and will be in use, whereas it has less reason to be used in India.
@Mike197602 (13911)
I got a couple in change today from our bar as I needed some coins to take part in the grand national sweepstake I quite like them and they are way more stylish than the old pound coins
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
Ah, so now I know where they all are. Those selfish people down in Worcester are hogging them all.
• Peoria, Arizona
I wouldn't think you would see one yet. There are so many people still using their old coins so the new coins will get buried for quite some time. So probably within the next few months you will get one. We didn't get many of our new bills for ages.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I know that they will be well outnumbered by the old coins, but would have thought that a few would have appeared by now.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Asylum Haha well probably within the next few months you will find one
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@DesirousDreamer It has been 2 weeks now and still not a single one in my change.
It's always the same, when a new coin is introduced it takes months before seeing one in circulation. I suspect that the collectors get all the first that are out.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
Every old coin has to be withdrawn during the next 6 months, so speed of introduction should be of the utmost priority.
@Asylum The new CHF 50.00 banknote has been introduced a little more than one year ago in Switzerland and I still see more old banknotes than the new one.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck The banknote is still circulating, but our £1 coin will be invalid in 6 months.
@garymarsh6 (14430)
I have yet to get one too. I asked the chappie in the shop about them. He said the bank sends them out only to certain locations our nearest place is around 10 miles away. He said they will eventually filter through! I want one now though!
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
At this rate they will no longer be shiny by the time that we see one.
@garymarsh6 (14430)
@Asylum Old and dirty no doubt!
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 Probably well worn as well.
I wasn't aware of the new coin. What was the reason for it?
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
It has been suggested that many current £1 coins are forgeries and the new one is more difficult to forge.
@Asylum Now that is a good reason. I would think though that anyone doing this would find paper money easier to work with than coins.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries Finding the right material for banknotes would be difficult.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I haven't seen any yet either.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I am beginning to wonder if they are just the subject of an elaborate hoax.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Asylum Strange things do happen.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@Gillygirl Maybe they are invisible to make forging them impossible.
I imagine the new coins are lighter and cost less to make than the old ones. So they will come out. Just wait.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
That is my surprise, they have been in circulation for 9 days but I have yet to see one.
@Asylum It seems that you will have to go out seeking them
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@marguicha I have no idea where to look.
It's only been a little over a week. Maybe the businesses haven't changed over to them yet.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
There is no need for any changes because it is simply a new coin and will therefore simply circulate as any other coin does.
@Asylum .....Yes, and some businesses it takes them a bit to get with it.
@connierebel (1571)
How do they remove the old ones from circulation? It seems like it would be a very difficult task, there must be billions of coins in circulation, and how would they know when they got them all? What if somebody hoards them?
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I would be fully entitled to keep them, but they would cease to be usable money.
Yes one would have thought that you would have seen at least one, I would go to the bank and demand one!!! See if they are hoarding them.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
The intention should be to get them into circulation as rapidly as possible, but that does not seem to be happening. Several other British have commented that they have not seen any yet, so it is not just my imagination.
@sishy7 (27598)
I remember thinking the same when our new $5 note was first released. I think it wasn't until few months later that I started to see them more regularly. Give it more time and you'll probably start thinking the old coins have become rare...
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
Decimal coinage made a rapid appearance, but of course that was because the currency completely changed.
That is weird that so many were released, and you have not seen one. I do hope one comes your way soon.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I suspect that maybe most were issued in the London and Home Counties areas.