Well, That Worked

I do take a prescription medication in the morning. At times, I do not have the strength to open that childproof prescription bottle in the morning. I just hand the bottle to my husband and he opens it for me. My husband is in Florida this week visiting family, and there was no way I could get that darn prescription bottle open. I tried and tried, but the lid would not budge. In desperation, I took a pair of scissors and cut a nice little hole in the middle of the plastic bottle. I covered the hole I cut with duct tape to prevent pill-escape. Now, I just peel back the duct tape and shake a pill from the bottle into the palm of my hand. Sometimes a pill or two will be stuck to the duct tape, but I just peel off one pill and put those that are stuck to the duct tape back in the bottle. A pill bottle with duct tape on it is a strange sight, but just glad I can get the darn pill out of that thing!
I've been debating asking for non-childproof lids, I open 8 bottles each morning and it freakin' hurts
Our meds come with lids that can be used either way.
I bet all that opening does hurt. I will ask for the non-childproof lids next time around since cutting that hole was not that easy.
@AbbyGreenhill I need to ask for the lids that are of the easy-off kind.
Those lids are a pain! Their not only child proof they are adult proof too! I'm glad you found a way to get them open easier.
I was quite proud of my hole in the bottle. It works, so that is good.
I always ask Leticia to open those darn bottles for me. I should take them out and place them in a normal bottle.
I should too. I tried and tried this morning, then cut the hole.
We get our meds shipped to us from a company - and they use lids that one way are child proof, but if you flip them over you can unchild proof them. Its Cuisinart vertical waffle maker works wonderful.
Now that is the kind of lid I need. Will ask the pharmacist if the pharmacy carries that type of lid.
@Corbin5 I would imagine they might - it's a good thing
I am glad it works for you! I'd switch to a different bottle then.. Any other bottles you have that can open better?
I will ask the pharmacist if easy-to-open bottles are available.
@Corbin5 I hope so =)
• Preston, England
I struggle with child proof tops too - I expect only children cope with them easily at times
I bet if I had a kid here, the kid would have easily opened it for me. This one is stuck on there for life.
@Raelove (17585)
• Saco, Maine
I don't have much strength left in my fingers, so I find a lot of medicine caps are hard to open. I also hate the pull tabs that come on bottles of supplements. Your idea is a good one. When they make these things child-proof, they're not thinking that they are also making them adult-proof for those of us who have these issues.
Yes, my hands are not as strong as they used to be either. The pull-tabs cause me problems too.
sometime I get so p-----------ssed off and throw the bottles down on the couch.I know this is very childish.But one cannot open what do you beside screaming.Plus the cotton they put in on some of it.Not just piece but bunches.
I get so frustrated too. And, that cotton is way too much for a pill bottle!!
@Corbin5 Not sure why they do this.
or try to pry off tjh lid and all u you ge tdoeis break a fimngernail lol lol
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
See???? I told you duct tape works for just about everything @Corbin5 .
Yes, you did. And we are going to duct tape that head of yours too to make sure your brains stay inside!!!! Heck, the duct tape just may cause those separations you feel to close!!!
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 I'm sure considering it. I sure hate to shave all my hair off though.
@nanette64 Perhaps one can wear duct tape under a wig.
• Pamplona, Spain
If you can´t beat them join them. Well done to have that idea. So now when you have a new Bottle of it you can do it again if you are on your own. Great idea will remember that one for other things.
Yes, I will just keep cutting holes in those bottles. Works for me.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I do that with those bottles of Cream for the face you know that get get bent in the middle when you are halfway through it and the rest won´t come out very rare though.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Yes!!! I even have to use scissors or a knife to slice through since I cannot pull the tab!!
Most pharmacies ask if you want the childproof cap, or I am sure you can request it not be on there, then you won't have to worry about it.
I think I need to request the childproof cap since the pharmacy has never asked if I want the non-childproof cap.
@Corbin5 I think you need to request no childproof cap..That is weird..they usually ask though.
@snowy22315 We have to use CVS pharmacy, required by our insurance, and our CVS pharmacy is a joke. I have more trouble with that pharmacy. They mess up all the time.
Clever solution. Once I manage to open one of those bottles, I don't re-cap. I cover with a baggie and save myself the agony. I have no young children in the house and the bottle is out of reach of Mildred.
I love the baggie idea!!! Next time around, will do the baggie!
@Corbin5 Glad I could be of help!
• Walnut Creek, California
With my luck, I'd reach for the Viagra and down two Benadryls instead. Oh baby, I'm gonna make love to you like you've never...um...never....um...zzzzzzzzzz.
A really good night would be ruined for you, that's for sure. However, a great night's sleep it would be, all by yourself!
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Heh. Then again, if I found the Viagra, but mistook my son's ADHD medicine for my blood pressure medicine, I could die happy.
@FayeHazel (19863)
MAybe they will make such a device? Ingenious!
I think it would be ingenious too!! I will ask the pharmacist, who is totally clueless most of the time, but worth a shot.
@FayeHazel (19863)
@Corbin5 Or you should patent it :-)
@corbin5 I have had that problem with jars, cans, and packages, so I have my sister open all the things that need opening when she comes to my house That was very smart to door med bottle
Thanks my friend!! Someone here said to buy one of those round, rubber jar opener thingies that you place over the lid, and those are inexpensive. May try to find one of those. Glad your sister helps you out with this!!!
@Corbin5 I have that opener that you are talking about, actually have three of them! And couldn't find the first two then got a good one for Christmas last year! If you know a place that sells Sharper Image that is where my sister got me the one I for Christmas
@shshiju (10567)
• Cochin, India
Some bottles are so hard to open even for adults also. I use small knife to open such bottles.
Yes, they sure make those bottles hard to open for kids and adults too.
@shshiju (10567)
• Cochin, India
@Corbin5 We may change to superheros for that.
@scheng1 (24742)
That is good idea. If I were you, I guess I will just use a hammer to smash it, and keep the pills in another bottle.
I thought of the hammer idea too, but I would have had pills, some crushed, flying all over the place. Crawling all over the floor to find them would be good exercise, though.
@scheng1 (24742)
@Corbin5 You can just wrap the bottle in newspaper or a plastic bag before you hammer the bottle open. In this case, the pills will not fly all over the place.
@HazySue (23038)
I have the same problem getting my pills out of it's bottle when it had that type of lid. You would think they could figure out a way to keep kids out while letting adults in.
Yes, hard for kids to open and adults too. I think the lid is askew on the bottle and that is why I cannot get that thing off.
@HazySue (23038)
@Corbin5 I can't seem to push down on the lid hard enough while turning
@HazySue I know. My husband demonstrated that method, but I haven't the strength to do it either.
• Peoria, Arizona
At least you figured something out, that is very handy! But, wouldn't it be easier just to get a medicine tray? Those things with the days of the week on it?
Yes, I have tried those, but my lack of attention to detail and being one of little patience, I often fail to fill those handy things.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Corbin5 Maybe you just need to fill your pills into a tictac container haha!
@ShifaLk (8414)
Lol. It's time to call back your husband hehe
Yes, he comes back tomorrow!! Yippee!
@ShifaLk (8414)
@Corbin5 woh!!!!