Many of My Sages are in Bloom Now

Bee Enjoying Black Sage in April
@bagarad (11481)
Paso Robles, California
The bees are very happy about that. Currently in bloom are black sage, wild watermelon sage, and French Sage. The bees seem to prefer the black sage pictured above. They were all over it. The hard part was capturing them on a blossom before they flew off to another one. The French Sage flowers are not quite mature enough to attract the bees yet, but in a few more days they will probably be covered with them. It seems everything is bursting into bloom now. What's blooming in your garden this month? Which plants do you see the most bees on?
@Shellyann36 (8915)
Right now the tulips, iris and azaleas are blooming around the house.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
All my irises are either finished, blooming, or starting to bloom. I love irises.
@bagarad Our irises are just coming along. The azaleas are going to be beautiful this year. I cannot wait for the dogwood trees to bloom!
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@Shellyann36 I don't see many azaleas or dogwood trees here, or maybe I just don't recognize them.
Some plants really do attract the bees don't they?
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
Yes. They really seem to like herbs, including dandelions, which most people don't even think of as the potherb or potential vegetable it is.
@bagarad I was very surprised when I first heard of people eating dandelion. There is a lot many of us don't know!
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv I've got several books on edible wild plants. I now eat a lot of weeds.
No garden. No bees.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
I'd really miss having a garden. Do you see bees anywhere else? I like to think my herb gardens are helping the bees to survive. Without bees, we would not have enough food. They have an important job to do for all of us.
@bagarad No, haven't seen any yet.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@Courtlynn What state are you in? In a rural or urban area?
@EMuhungi (1733)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@bagarad None, this place is dry.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
This place would be dry most of the year if we didn't irrigate a bit. Much of California is desert.
@EMuhungi (1733)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@bagarad What about the temperatures in California ?
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@EMuhungi It depends on where you are in California. I'm not too far from the coast. The climate is moderate, but in summer we always have a few days in the triple digits. The lowest I've ever experienced here was 12 degrees F in winter. Central and Southen California is considered desert because we don't get much rain. WE have to rely on irrigation and imported water during dry seasons.
@minx267 (12739)
• Hartford, Connecticut
So far, only Crocus, and Galanthus Nivalis - both small flowering bulb plants. I am still waiting for the tulips and daffodils and my Hyacinth and Muscari those should all be next. The bees were out in force for the crocus too though.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
I find it interesting how the same plants bloom in different months in different areas of the world or country. Even here, my daffodils bloom earlier in Paso Robles than they do at our Templeton house ten miles southwest of this house.
@minx267 (12739)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@bagarad it depends on what zone you are classified at each. but I know what you are talking about.. I travel one town over and They have other things blooming after mine are all gone. It makes it hard for me to know when I am supposed to go to the park there and take pictures of the flowers... When I think they should be in bloom they are not.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@minx267 I guess there are a lot of mini-climate zones the books can't cover.
Daffodils and tulips, magnolia and forsythia are in bloom.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
It's past the season for daffodils and tulips here. I don't expect to see magnolia in bloom until May or June.
@bagarad That's strange. Here, magnolias already start losing their petals.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
@MALUSE Next time I go to the park or to San Luis Obispo I'll check. That's where I usually see the trees. I checked the last photo I remember taking of them, and it was in mid-June.
@silvermist (19905)
@bagarad I have not come across Sage here in my area.I think they grow only in colder parts of India like Kashmir.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
For sure many of the plants that grow in my country don't grow in yours, and vice-versa.
I don't know about the three kinds of Sage you mentioned.Here we use a sort of sage to treat coronary heart disease.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: In describing potential medicinal effects of this plant, the article repeatedly makes unfound
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
It appears to be a very useful herb. I don't think we have it here.
I've given up on raising anything. If it grows on it's own, wonderful. If not, oh well. The jonquils came up too early and then got hit by the cold. Only a few bloomed. Guiness the Cat would have been so disappointed. The Bradford pears bloomed so quickly I barely noticed. The dogwoods and redbuds have peaked. The hardwoods have all bloomed in the past week or so and everything is starting to turn green. All the rain we had Wednesday barely washed any pollen out of the air. Next, the oak trees will start shedding their squiggly little blooms and make a huge mess all over the ground, then the trees will fully leaf out, and then it will start looking like summer.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
Everything is turning green here, too. It seems the flowering trees don't flower for very long.
NOthing, nothing is blooming here yet, still too cold.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
There are some advantages to living in a mild climate. I hope my state government doesn't make it too expensive and restrictive to keep living here. I can't think of any other state offhand where the weather is mild and there aren't any tornadoes or hurricanes.
Honey bees would mean a honeycomb somewhere?
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
Somewhere, but it may not be easy to find until the bees swarm and you happen to see it. My husband used to keep bees, but in the city you're not supposed to, so most of the bees would be wild. The big oak tree across the street had a hive, but the owner called an exterminator. Sad. I couldn't talk him out of it. I'm surprised no beekeeper came to get the bees and move them.
@RubyHawk (21877)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Your garden is nice.i don't have a garden since we've lived in an apartment.
@bagarad (11481)
• Paso Robles, California
It's a low-maintenance garden with drought-resistant plants. My neighbor's garden is prettier, but she spends more time on hers. I want to steal some of her plants. I knew when she gets home from wherever she'd been she will probably thin them. I want to be there when she does because I know she will be pulling some of her excess plants up.