The Honor System At Our Library

https://pixabay.com/en/book-books-study-fiction-148200/
@HazySue (17183)
There is something at our library that I find different than any other library I have belong too. They have an horror system for the ones of us who have a library card. You can take out up to 8 paperback books for as long as you wish All you have to do is show them you have a library card. There is no due date, no charge for being late, it's a wonderful system. They don't care which of the books you take or if you even bring back the ones you took. They ask that you bring back some paperbacks so other people can enjoy them. It's a great system for me because I, for some reason, can't seem to get the books that I do check out back by their due date. Does your library do this?
@Shellyann36 (8598)
Our library has a section of donated paperbacks that have been taken out of circulation that people can take home. They don't have to return them or exchange them but they can also donate paperbacks if they want. No card necessary.
@HazySue (17183)
It sounds like the same type of system that my library has. Do you use it?
@HazySue If I see something I like I might take it but most of the time I am donating books.
@HazySue (17183)
@Shellyann36 So am I. I get a lot of books aqt flea markets and yard sales and after I read them they usually go to the library to be enjoyed by others.
I am not aware of this kind of system in our libraries here.
@HazySue (17183)
I think it's a great idea. More libraries should try it.
• Bridgton, Maine
Actually the library I volunteer at the most is now charging patrons twenty five cents per day for everyday that a book is overdue. They started doing this recently. They felt they had to do something.
@HazySue (17183)
I agree with a fine but isn't twenty five cents a day a little steep. They can let you take out paperback books for unlimited time because people donate them to the library.
@silvermist (15794)
@HazySue No,we do not have this system .That really is a wonderful system.
@HazySue (17183)
I like it. I even drop off paperback books I recieved from other people.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Our library district has a similar policy. Although they do set "suggested due dates," you are not obligated to return the book by that date, and there is no fine if you return the book late. The only time they seem to get tough on the rules is if someone else has reserved and is waiting on the book you have, then you must return it by the due date. If not, they will suspend your library card for a period of time. Again, no late fees or fines though.
@HazySue (17183)
It sounds like a good idea. Is that with all books or just paperback books?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@HazySue It's with all books. Since our library district is it's own taxing authority, they feel that charging late fees on books is like double taxation. They already tax us to fund the library, so they don't feel they should charge us again when a book is returned late!
@HazySue (17183)
@moffittjc If they used the honor system with hard back books in our library they might have to end up closing the library after a bit because of the lack of books coming back.
@mom210 (5795)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Mine does something like this, at various spot around town they have little book mail boxes. The kids can drop off a book and take another one. Keeps the kids reading
@HazySue (17183)
That's a great idea. I agree with anything (almost) that keeps a child reading.
@mom210 (5795)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@HazySue The locations are really well thought out too. They are near the ball fields and rec center, if you end up with a child waiting for an even or a "spare" kid they can grab a book to read while waiting, making the most of their time.
@HazySue (17183)
@mom210 someone was really using their heads.
Our library is so small they only have one book!
@HazySue (17183)
Abby, You always make me laugh.
@HazySue Then my goal is accomplished - thanks!
No, our library still has a return policy, including the fine for books that are returned late. I do not frequent our public library due to the stress of having to return those books. I buy all my books from the charity shops here for so little money to avoid the library.
@HazySue (17183)
This policy is only for paperback books. The hard back are still fined if you return them late and have a two week check out time limit.