What Does It Mean When A Person Blocks You?

By Gita
Trinidad And Tobago
I was wondering what it means when a person blocks you on this site. I think I was blocked by someone not so recently…but I am not sure. I mean, it not like you get a notification saying you were blocked. The person’s comment was still in my post, and as usual I clicked on it to answer back. I took me to the person’s post. I read the post but was unable to leave a comment because the icon was missing. I thought to leave a message saying that I was unable to comment, but there was no ‘Message’ to click on. I did notice later that all the comments disappeared from my post and my Bank earnings was reduced slightly… a delayed response? Was I blocked if I was able to do the following things? 1. See the person’s profile page. 2. Read the posts even if I was unable to comment…and see all the nasty things being said about me? 3. I could click ‘like’ on the person’s post. I am now noticing some more strange things a few week later: 1. I cannot see the person’s comment on other people’s posts but I know someone is there. 2. I can see the person’s name in the ‘like’ section. Ha Ha. 3. I can see ALL the person’s post but I cannot comment. 4. I can read all the person’s comments in other people’s post under ‘activity’ In fact, except for commenting…I could see everything else. What was the point of blocking me? ...Was there a point? This is weird, isn’t it? What do you think? Was I blocked? Is that how 'blocking' works?
@sol_cee (12170)
• Japan
Could be blocked by accident. You'll never know unless you ask.
• Trinidad And Tobago
No accident my friend...and you cannot ask because there is no avenue open to ask. The act was deliberate and calculated. I read the post written in reaction. Sad development this took.
@sol_cee (12170)
• Japan
@Gita17112016 you can ask someone to ask the person but then it's troublesome. Let it be. There are more things to be happy about.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@sol_cee Thank you but not interested. No need to stir things up. I am more interested in the algorithm and its function to 'block' someone. It can't seem to be doing a good job. On other sites, if someone blocks you and you try to reach them, the computer says'the person you are trying to reach is no longer existing' . There is absolutely NO 'seeing ' the other person or their post. Absolute privacy.
@ricki_911 (15862)
• Toronto, Ontario
It does sound like it. I can't say I hae had this experience. I wouldn't worry about it.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you. Not worrying...just exploring options on this site.. I learn something new every day!
@Mike197602 (13350)
• Worcester, England
sounds like you were blocked if you can't comment or respond to the person. Blocking doesn't impact earnings though...even deleting all your current discussions won't make your bank go down. Normally people block you to stop you talking to them. You can see everything they write on a discussion by logging out then the comments will appear
• Trinidad And Tobago
So being blocked in this site merely means that I cannot comment on their post? But I can see everything? Very strange algorithm. Actually, Mike, my bank went down three times already. 1) The person who had interacted with me for about two hours, apparent was banned and his posts and comments deleted.My bank showed almost a dollar missing. 2) Two of my post mysteriously disappeared a day after posting and my bank went down by about .80 cents. And recently, my last post went missing (and the person who blocked me deleted their 3 comments) my bank fell by about .40 cents. so I conclude if you had cashed out and THEN your post went missing, you are not affected. I did not raise the money issue with admin...never thought to ask.But it has happened more than once.
@Mike197602 (13350)
• Worcester, England
@Gita17112016 look at the numbers by my name. Then look at my discussions...1 right? I do make my own discussions but delete them all after a while. It does nothing to your bank. You need to contact admin as the level of money dropping just isn't right...I suspect the fault is with your reading of the bank. What you're saying happened to you just doesn't happen and I've been here years.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Mike197602 Okay thanks for the heads up.I never thought their might be a problem with my bank. And I didn't think to take a screen shot either. I'll so so from now. I did notice all your posts gone but I thought you had left ...and then rejoined. glad again you are of help to me. Thanks.
It isn't a nice thing when it happens - but after the initial surprise- you get over it and move on.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Can you see their post too?
@Gita17112016 Yes, you can.
@Deepizzaguy (6508)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
On Devinart a person that is in charge of a Wordgirl fan club blocked me from her club since she was offended by my original characters Donna and Debi Isthmus and their close family friend Panama Squirrel. Rule that I did not see was "no original characters wanted." But that same person follows me on Tumblr. How about that?
• Trinidad And Tobago
Funny indeed. Perhaps she doesn't know you know...
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@Gita17112016 She does not know me at all. But she did me a favor since I am now the Founder of the Wordgirl Freedom Club since I write fan fictions for them on Devianart. "Success is the best revenge." -Vanessa L Williams
@Gillygirl (15217)
• Sutton, England
Sometimes blocking is done by accident. Activity can still be seen but the person blocked can't respond to a post or send messages. It can seem very pointless. I have blocked somebody who left me a spam comment on another user's post. I did not want to have that person respond to me again. They were nasty. Blocking is not something I do lightly. If you have been blocked unfairly it is their loss.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you. I am also saying if this is the function of 'blocking ' it seems very pointless. The person thinks they have some measure of privacy but in truth I have more protection.I also saw the nasty things said ...to me its is just sad when people cannot resolve differences and feel the need to vent in a one sided manner. I don't feel the need to block anyone...and what is the point?
@Gillygirl (15217)
• Sutton, England
@Gita17112016 Only to stop certain idiots commented directly on your posts. I needed to block one person from doing that.
@pgntwo (19718)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It is easy to block someone by accident, too. And if you do block someone who is following you, by mistake, and then unblocking immediately, it drops your name from the list of people they are following. A (possibly?) side-effect, I am sure, but annoying.
• Trinidad And Tobago
If it is by accident I don't mind. Even if it is intentional, I don't mine. I just want to explore the 'function' and the 'scope' of the blocking button. It doesn't seem to do much except not allow the person block to not comment. so what's the use? I hardly miss that person's contribution when there is so many other people still here.
@pgntwo (19718)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Gita17112016 I think a couple of people outside the Admin know exactly how blocking works: @JolietJake and perhaps @owlwings (if he has finished having one for Arthur )
Sometimes the blocking is accidental. It does seem likely that you were blocked accidentally or on purpose.
• Trinidad And Tobago
It was on purpose. i am more interested on how the site function. Do the 'blocking' stop me and to what extent. In other sites when someone blocks you, you absolutely cannot see them. The computer responds with 'the person you are trying to reach no longer exist';
Not sure how it works here.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Neither me. I was hoping someone who has experienced this will share.
Yes, you were blocked. That is how it works. I've been blocked by at least one person here that I'm aware of.
• Trinidad And Tobago
And you are able to see everything this person does? That's weird. I thought the purpose was to protect their privacy. Anyways, I am happy I have not block anyone.