The Clown I can somewhat remember...

I had meningitis when I was a very little girl. I think around two years old. From what I was told, they were scared that I would not make it. I have memories, some that were assisted (helped to remember) by my family members. However, I have my own memories of a dark room with just a little bit of light. I remember laying in a bed and I remember a nurse who brought me a clown. The clown I remember more than the nurse, which is where the assistance came in.. My family sort of reminded me of the nurse. I would like to say I remember how I felt then, but I really don't. I don't think I was conscious all of the time... I am sure I was very moody when I was because I have always been moody when I don't feel good.. .especially if people are bothering me. That wasn't my first brush with potential death though.. My mom's body tried to push me UP instead of down and so I had to be emergency c-sectioned out of her. I was told we both could have died then. The last one that I would classify as a near death is when I was swimming in the sea with my best friend and we got pushed out further than expected.. We swam and swam to shore. I think adrenaline alone saved me then... I don't even really think of these things anymore.. but another person's discussion brought them to my mind.
I like the expression 'assisted memory'. I had measles at the age of three and was taken to hospital. No memories come to mind but I feel darkness when I recall this disease. I also had to stay in a dark room for quite some time.
I understand what you mean by "feel darkness." I can't remember the feelings but I can remember waking up several times, and I can remember feeling the fear of my family... But at that time I didn't understand what it was. Yes "assisted" because while I am almost certain the memories of waking up are my own, I don't want to assume that they are. My near miss was talked about for many many many years.
@ScribbledAdNauseum It can happen that the real memory you have and the stories you've heard repeatedly over the years blur and that in the end, you aren't sure what you remember and what comes from stories. I think everybody has such experiences.
You are here for a purpose.
Yes, so many near deaths...
My cousin had meningitis when I was young. I remember how serious it was. I don't care for clowns. Glad your birth was okay. A C section is rather serious. Glad all is okay.
I don't care for them either (Stephen King's "It"... The Original Movie) but I'm also not too terribly afraid of them. More annoyed by them than anything. Yes, it was an emergency C- Section from what I was told.
@ScribbledAdNauseum ......I think that is where I started to really dislike clowns. With that movie. An emergency, huh? Glad it went well for your sake.
@celticeagle I think I made myself watch that movie in it's full length one time and then that was it. I used to watch snippets of it, but it was just too creepy for me. I don't think I will go see the new "IT" in theaters. It may not be as scary, but then again it could be even scarier than the original. Especially with all the advancements in movie technology that has been made since the first one came out.
@MarymargII (9413)
• Toronto, Ontario
These things are emotional to remember but the good thing is that you are here and you are strong!
Yes. I am glad to be here. Though I wouldnt' say I am too emotional about them.
• Toronto, Ontario
@ScribbledAdNauseum No just probably happy to be alive--ha!
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
Glad you made it through!
As am I. As a child I Was told all the time about how I might not have made it through..
@scribbledadnauseum I am happy that you survived those two chance you almost didn't make it
Yes, I am glad I am here as well. The first two (my birth and meningitis) I really dont' recall. But the ocean one was terrifying!
@ScribbledAdNauseum I could imagine it would be. I am happy you do not remember those times that well
@sallypup (26355)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Have you read any of Robert Louis Stevenson? He also spent a lot of time in a sick bed as a child. I'm glad you are here to tell us of those scary times.
I don't think I have read any of his work. I may just do so now that you mention it. I am glad as well. Now they are a very distant memory.