My Well Ran Dry

There is an issue with having a well. When you use water, there is a piece that is movable on the pump on top of the well. When you turn the water off, it moves back just a hair from the connection The pump is located outdoors in the pump house. (I painted my pump house school bus yellow and have pink flamingos around it) When the pump is not in use an ant or bug or lizard might crawl between the pieces and get caught when it connects, trapping the animal or insect between the terminals and no connection can be made. So no water refills the resevoir. You don't know this of course, and you merrily keep using the water until the water in the reservoir is gone, then nothing. No water. So when I turned on the water yesterday, there was a gradual slowdown and some gurgling and then nothing. I called the well guy and he was there in 15 minutes. He manually pushed the piece towards the connector, the bug (or whatever) fell off and he lets it snap back and the motor starts humming, refilling the reservoir again. He showed me how to do it, and then said No Charge and was gone. If only everything was such an easy fix.
You really lucked out on that fix. So nice he did not charge you, and you can now fix the problem yourself.
I wrote the directions down on how to do it (and also I now have this) so I will always remember. This isn't the first time it's happened but my husband took care of it before.
Omg! We have a well, but it's nothing like that. The water also goes through a purification system before we ever see it, and has never dried up. How terrific that the man fixed it so quickly and didn't charge you!
Yes, mine goes through a purification system also. It's only coincidence that this has never happened to your well. Apparently the warmth of the machinery draws ants and they are the usual culprit. If your pump is outdoors it's just luck that it hasn't happened. In almost six years of full time use, it's only happened twice to ours.
@Jeanniemaries I hope it never happens to either of us!
@DianneN Yes, but it is so easy to fix! I don't have quite the fear I did.
@Asylum (46318)
• Manchester, England
It is not very often that someone will turn up to solve a problem and quote no charge.
I was born under a lucky star
@Asylum (46318)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries Oh, like Lee Marvin, or was that a wandering star?
@Asylum Yes, wandering star was Lee Marvin's song, but actually that one was next to my lucky one.
@PatZAnthony (11721)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Most with a well have had these issues one time or another. Ants really enjoy getting in the way it seems.
Those pesky ants!
That was sweet of him not to charge you.
It was, I know I will call upon them any time any real work is needed. (hopefully not too soon)
We have a well that is connected to a pump . There is an overhead tank that gets filled up when we put the pump on. We need to put off the pump when the water overflows from the tank. So far so good. We have a good supply.
I have no idea where the reservoir is located.
@Morleyhunt (15369)
You were fortunate that there was no charge. Often there is a basic service charge just fir coming out. It's usually not cheap. We have worked with wells for many years. That isn't a problem we ever encountered.
Oh, maybe it's just on my style of pump.
And he was there in 15 minutes as well.
I mean...these people are awesome!!
@jeanneiemaries Glad, you have everything fixed. Not fun to have no water.
@reskyyandi (3751)
My well in my house is never dry, but sometimes the taste of the water is really wear, sometimes it's like a fresh water and sometimes it's more salty