At Long Last

Moving to this home has been a big change for my husband and myself. It means that we live a lot closer to our son. And we can spend time easier together, there is no pre-planning so that you make the most of your day because of the long drive. Yesterday was a glorious afternoon. It was a truly beautiful spring day. We enjoyed spending time in our backyard. And didn't our son, his fiancée and Ellie, his dog, come along and join us? Yes, at long last our family lives closer together. We had a fun afternoon together yesterday. Do you live close to all of your family members too?
Our move actually made for a long drive for my husband, and I do not like it. We are closer to my daughter, by about an hour, but it still is a drive of more than ten hours. We are further away from our son and his family. On the other hand I get to see wildlife and hear the birds waking up with the rising sun. Beautiful.
We used to be just over an hour away from our son, this is nice.
I am living with my family. We are living together since birth. It would be a nice to be with the family. The dog is so cute.
Thank you, that is a picture that we took last summer of our son's dog, Ellie. She is an Aussie-Doodle.
@Juliaacv He is so cute. How old is he? I have a golden retriever and old at the age of 10 years.
@Shavkat She is about two and a half years old now. Golden retrievers are beautiful dogs.
I used to.The girls are gone One in Georgia,the other in South Carolina.The son is here.But does not have anything to do with me. Never see him.He has not intention in seeing me.
That's the same as my mother, since my father's passing she has no intention in seeing me, my husband nor our son. I hope that I never get like that.
@Juliaacv You won't you are a caring person.This makes a big difference
@amadeo Thank you, I have told both my husband as well as our son that I hope that I never ever get like that.
I feel that you are happy Julia. I imagine how great it is to be able to see your son more often.
Thank you!
@Morleyhunt (21005)
We are blessed....our children and grandchildren all love within an hours drive. Yesterday our lawn was much to wet for play. I cringed each time I walked across to my clothesline.
Funny you should mention a clothesline, that is one of the things that I so miss living here. But there is a by-law and we cannot have one
@Morleyhunt (21005)
@Juliaacv can you put a In an umbrella clothesline that you take down? That's a rather shortsighted bylaw.
@Morleyhunt I'm not sure, we'll have to investigate that, thanks for the idea though!
@scheng1 (24742)
The dog is well-groomed! His tail is so cute! I think the dog is as happy for the outing as your son and his fiancee.
Thank you, that is how she wears her hair for the warmer months. She's due for a spring trim any day now.
@scheng1 (24742)
@Juliaacv I wonder if she enjoys the hair cut!
@scheng1 She doesn't mind getting her face trimmed, but doesn't like it when she has her entire coat trimmed, it takes about 4 hours.
Is this home a rental or did you buy it? I seem to be missing a few pieces here lol.
We bought it.
@Juliaacv Okay I don't remember you discussing finding a home, I guess my old age is showing lol
@BelleStarr We began looking in January when we sold our old home and my husband got his new job.
@juliiaaacv My family live close to me. I do have family from both sides of my family in Florida. I don't have much family
Our family members all reside within about an hour's drive from us. We have some extended family-cousins and aunts and uncles that live 2 hours away.
@Juliaacv You are so lucky. I miss m cousin terribly.
@Marty1 For me, I feel that the downside to living so close to cousins, which I had most of them within a 20 minute drive from our old home (now more like over an hour) we took each other for granted. And as a result we rarely visited after we grew up. While we were young, there were lots of sleep-overs and fun time spent together.
Actually.. i do.. three of them and their families. Cause i live in an apartment complex which has like 4 circles of 30 apartments.. im in one circle, my aunt and 2 of her sons are in another circle (in one apartment), while her oldest daughter is 2 apartments away from her.. and then her other daughter (my cousin Kymmie thats on here) is in another circle. Lol. We just dont talk to my aunt. Only to all her Kids. And my grandmother and uncle live 8mins down the road.
Its nice isn't it-having family so close by. I am really enjoying this!
@Juliaacv i mean yeah if you get along with them. Especially when emergencies pop up
@Courtlynn I know what you mean.....
@LeaPea2417 (22050)
• Toccoa, Georgia
The closest family members of ours live 2 hours away.
That's a long way away, isn't it?
@LeaPea2417 (22050)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Juliaacv Yes, it is.
@Blondie2222 (22580)
That's great, glad you enjoyed the day with your son & didn't have to leave early to drive back home. Both my sisters live a half hour away from us so it's nice they are close again also, they used to live in north carolina til they moved back 5 yrs ago
Our son is helping us grow accustomed to living in a city, we lived in a rural village until about 10 days ago.
@Blondie2222 (22580)
@Juliaacv oh ok well good luck with that. I can't do city living i hate the traffic.
This is so wonderful! How nice it is for family to be near. Yes, we live close to our son and his wife, my sister and my elderly dad. My husband's family is in Florida, however.
We don't see a lot of either of our siblings, and they are all within a 90 minute drive of where we currently live. But to live near our son is so wonderful. He stopped by a little while ago, he seemed to remember what time brunch is served around here and he loves bacon!
That is great. My son lives about a half hour away and my daughter is only about 5 mins away. I don't get to see them often because they are usually busy with their jobs and families. I do get to see my grand daughter almost every day because I drive her to school.
You're lucky. We've never lived near our son since he's become an adult. He found a job in his field up near here when he was 23 and so he moved then, and its nice now, 4 years later to be closer to him.
@Juliaacv yes I imagine it would be.
It's wonderrful when the family comes around unannounced, isn't it? Our son lives really close and is always popping in, and our daughter lives near too when she's in this country. She just came home from Thailand last week and is staying until Christmas this time. Yippee.
Its a really nice feeling-I love it.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
that sounds great... i'm glad you're enjoying the benefits after the hard work of the move.... i'm glad you had a nice afternoon... I don't live near my family in miles... but fortunately it is only a two hour flight home and then an hours drive... so it's not too bad at all.... I will be seeing my dad at the end of this week...
We're all enjoying the closeness.
@hereandthere (32786)
i think it also depends on the person. some don't reach out, even when they're near.
We do and we are all happy to be so close.
You will get to like it more as days go by
I do need to learn my way around the city, and how to drive in this city-both of which are challenges to me these days.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
Right now I live around a 45-minute drive from my family and we live about an hour away from hubby's family. We don't get to see either of them that often. I guess time-wise it is not that far but when it comes to the extra $ for the gas it is.
We're just so thankful to be just a quick drive away from our son. Our siblings and their children all lived within an hour of our former home, but we like this arrangement better.
@dodo19 (33623)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Moving is a big change. But it is nice that you are closer to your son. It's always nice to be able to be close to family.
We're very happy with this arrangement.
I do live close to my family and made the move to live closer about 7 years ago. I never regretted selling my house and moving as being closer to my grandchildren is the best. I'm sure you'll be seeing more of your son, his fiance and Ellie!
We're pretty happy, and they are helping us with the adjustment to the new city.