Sunday Evening Drive

We just finished a nice filling steak supper. My husband and I enjoyed the backyard while he grilled the steaks, potatoes, asparagus and mushrooms. I picked up a strawberry-rhubarb pie for dessert. It was really a spring meal. Earlier today we went to a new church. Of course everything is new to us as we've only lived here for a little over a week. But this church wasn't totally our style. So this evening, now that the dishwasher is filled and everything put away, we'll go for a Sunday evening drive. There is a church in a neighbourhood not too far away that we saw. We'd like to get the name of it so that we can look it up online-we haven't been able to find a site for it yet. Any parish that we potentially join must have a variety of age groups attending it because my husband will transfer his membership in the fraternal order to that one, and if you are the youngest member-you get called on to do a lot! And then we'll go church shopping again next weekend.
I hope you can find a Church that you can like.
We really want to feel comfortable in the parish, and have a priest that we can easily understand.
@Juliaacv You are right, it is unpleasant to be in a parish where you do not feel at home.
@Juliaacv yes the understanding can be a big thing these days. In the US we have a lot of priests from India and while I can understand them fine, hubs is lost.
@PainsOnSlate (20662)
I hope you find one that makes you feel at home, That is what we looked for when looking after a move.
There is so much to find after moving, a butcher, a grocery shop, dry cleaner......
@Juliaacv did I ever mention when we were younger we moved almost every year so my husband could build his resume into what he wanted it to be... when we moved to Canada it was because of all those moves his reputation was top notched...and I put my foot down and we bought a house, in kansas we were renting and we were renting when we got here too.
@PainsOnSlate Yes you've mentioned moving frequently, hopefully we only have another couple of moves left in our lives.
Look up churches online and give a listen to a sermon or two, check out their activities, and read up on the pastors and elders. That's how I found the church I'm currently going to. It took three churches for me before I found one that completely meshed with my needs.
We've done that. So many of them are geared to certain nationalities, offering services in languages other then English, and we don't want to get caught up in that.
@Juliaacv I agree. It's good to understand what the pastor is preaching.
I completely understand, it took us a while to find our Florida parish, now we love the church we chose, our pastor is from Haiti and he is so funny and nice.
We want to feel comfortable where ever we choose to go, and it won't necessarily be in our immediate neighbourhood.
@Juliaacv We didn't chose the church closest to us either and here at home I go to the next town.
Your dinner sounds really tasty.
Thanks Marie, it was delicious.
Finding a new church when you move can be a hassle but hope you find one that meets your needs.
We knew that we'd have to find some new "favorite" places, parks, restaurants, grocery stores, churches........quite a long list!
@RubyHawk (30479)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Sounds like a very pleasant day. Nice that you like your new home.
Thank you, we are still adjusting, the house is much smaller, but we wanted to downsize, so we are adjusting to that. I love it when it comes to housecleaning, it doesn't take near as long.
Sounds like a very good meal and, I hope you will find a nice church.
Thanks, it was a good meal, and we know where the church is, and hopefully we'll find that it works for us, if not, we'll try another parish.
I hope you can find one that suits you both.
Thanks, me too!
@shivamani10 (11186)
• Hyderabad, India
Why finding a Parish is difficult?
We want to find a parish that has a good mix of ages, and has services at the times that we like.
There is nothing better then a nice streak dinner
I agree, and grilled at that......
It is important to find a parish that really 'fits' with you isn't it? I find you find a suitable one.
Thanks, we just got back from finding the new one that we'd like to try. We'll see how we like it there next weekend.
@Shellyann36 (11269)
Sounds like a wonderful day. Good luck with church shopping.
Thanks, now to see if we feel like we fit in at this parish, we'll try it out next weekend. And since its Easter weekend, just to be fair we should go back the following week.
@reskyyandi (3689)
Sound you have a busy and great sunday
@MarymargII (10706)
• Toronto, Ontario
Glad you are settling in well and enjoying your new place- yes, take your time to know what's best!
I'm sure you will find one. The one we go to now was the second one we tried.
• Walnut Creek, California
The drive sounds fun. I'm not officially a member of any church or synagogue (I'm half-Jewish, half-Protestant, and really a Freethinker) but I love the sense of family I get on Friday afternoons at the Synagogue in Berkeley (where I substitute teach at my friend's preschool) when we do "Pretend Shabbat." There are parents, teachers, and kids there, and there's always a kid on my lap as we sit in a circle and do the rituals.
@reskyyandi (3689)
Sound you have a busy and great sunday