The Passengers - Movie Review

@CRK109 (14419)
I had another movie sitting here to watch, so I took part of my afternoon, sat back with some popcorn and lemonade, and went into space with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. I like movies that take us into space, for the most part. While Alien was a bit much on the gory side, and The Martian really got my juices flowing (I had loved the book, so I was pretty sure I would enjoy the movie), I wasn't expecting much out of this one. I'd seen the trailers and, to be honest, it looked stupid. Perfect kind of movie to skip in the theater and watch at home. Well, for me, it was better than expected. So you have a spaceship full of crew and passengers heading for a new planet to call home. The computer system is set to wake everyone up as they approach the planet. But something goes wrong (of course), and Chris Pratt is awakened 90 years too soon. There are some nice relationships that play out in this movie. There's Chris Pratt and the robot-bartender (Michael Sheen), Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, the two of them and the bartender and then the two of them with Laurence Fishburn. Of course, some of the scenes where they are in deep space trouble went a bit too far for me. In one scene, Jennifer Lawrence is screaming out of frustration in trying to fix something and it was too much for me and I just burst out laughing. She's good but sometimes I can't take her. Anyway, some of it was predictable but I came away really liking this film. It had an interesting story and I found myself considering what I would do in their situation. I think they did very well. For me, of course. Claudia
You did so good with this movie review that I now want to watch it.
@CRK109 (14419)
Thanks! I got very lucky this weekend with movies. That doesn't happen often!
@AliCanary (1781)
Good review! I have heard good things about it and I might take a look for myself.
@CRK109 (14419)
If you do see it, I'd love to hear what you think!
• Midland, Michigan
I like sci-fi type movies too. One we saw last week is called Timeline and that was excellent. I'd forgotten that I was thinking of catching a movie tonight for something different. One that my daughters love is Pitch Perfect and I want to see that one again. When we saw it the first time we watched two that had some similar sections and I kept getting the two mixed up afterward. I'd like to see it again just to see what the story line really is. If you've seen it before, or watch it later on, there's a scene where a girl decides to audition to be in a singing group and she's not prepared. So she sits on the stage and using plastic or Styrofoam cups she gets a rhythm going and sings to her rhythm. I like it because my kids learned that song and movements and taped themselves doing it. I found their link for you. My sound isn't hooked up, but I can almost sing along with them. Then after they sing it, there's bloopers if you need a good laugh. *(They tape mostly Christian songs, but other things once in a while).
We heard the song from the movie Pitch Perfect, and really wanted to learn it. We ended up working on it for about 5 hours and started to lose function in ou...
@CRK109 (14419)
I've never seen the movie but wow! They are great! I love the idea of using the cups for rhythm. One of these days I'll have to see the movie.
• Midland, Michigan
@CRK109 Did you watch their bloopers too? They 'performed' for me after filming/taping this and it was so cool and funny too.
I watched this movie lately and I agree with you that this movie is better than I expected. Actually in some parts I felt moved and it also gave me a deep thought. Besides, its special effects are great.
@CRK109 (14419)
Yes, indeed! When they showed the shots of space, I really got pulled into the movie. Great special effects, especially the pool when the ship lost gravity!
@CRK109 I agree with you. That scene is so impressive I also felt I couldn't breathe at that time
Sounds a pretty good movie. I will have to check it out.
@CRK109 (14419)
yes I really liked it!
@prinzcy (5063)
That's a very nice review. I watch its promo but never really intend to watch it. There's no alien whatsoever in the movie?
@CRK109 (14419)
No aliens at all.
It's a pretty movie to see becuase the visual effects, but it's not a good movie at all.
@KrauseHome (34994)
For my husband and I, this was one of those movies we tried to watch and just could not get into. Luckily for us we watched it on our Dragon Box and did not waste any $$ having to see this.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I read some reviews for this film and wasn't at all sure that I wanted to see it. One of those that goes on my 'wait for it on TV' list.