A 'FAMILY' AFFAIR.

Image by pixabay.
I was talking to a friend of mine recently, and the trend of our conversation reminded me of the story of three persons who lived in my neighborhood during my teenage years. This threesome was made up of a man - who I shall call Mr. X -- his wife, and the girlfriend of Mr.X - she lived just ten minutes away from the family home. Mrs. X was aware of her husband's infidelity, but appeared to be accepting of it - except on those occasions when she happened to meet the girlfriend in public. Then it was obvious by the rude words exchanged and the fist fights -- which occurred on two occasions - that she was really unhappy about her situation. About a year into the illicit relationship, Mr.X decided to migrate with his family to another country, and his wife was undoubtedly very happy when she heard of his plan -- after all, this was her opportunity to be rid of the unwanted 'family' member. That relief was short lived however, because Mr. X did not leave his girlfriend behind. She migrated as well and took up residence once again not too far from the family home. Now, how should we classify Mrs X ? Is she a woman so blinded by love that she will accept every indignity heaped upon her by her husband? . Of course - acceptance doesn't necessarily mean love - she probably hates him. What are your thoughts? Would you accept your husband - or wife's infidelity?
@hostessman (8832)
• Tucson, Arizona
i would classify Mrs X as a fool,,,,she needs to dump Mr, X and move on with her life
I think she allowed it to get out of hand by not putting her foot down from day one.
Things should have been nipped in the bud. The wife will have to live with it. It is too late now.
I think so too. It would be difficult to make a move now - unless she is very determined and has a strong character.
@Kandae11 If she had a strong character the situation would not have come this far.
@allknowing She would have to develop one if she wants to get out of it. Some people can surprise even themselves when they are pushed too hard.
@cabhay (365)
Being in love doesn't mean that you support your partner in wrong situations and decisions also. Its about someone's respect...if a person have extra marital affair and than too your are mum and staying with that person it clearly means ignoring and downsizing your self esteem. (No Offense) :)
You are perfectly right - Mrs X obviously has low self esteem. Who knows - she may be even thinking that she is getting what she deserves?.I can't help wondering sometimes how those three are coping since migrating.
@cabhay (365)
@Kandae11 Seriously...Marriage doesn't only mean to support your better half in every situation but it also means to correct them when they are wrong! She should have stood for herself from the time when she came to know about his affair. No one can decide what we deserve in life until we give them the right to do so. Their life must have become miserable after migrating!
@cabhay Well said.
@prinzcy (5063)
If a man can't be loyal, I would leave him. I won't accept infidelity and just be blind to it. Life is too short so I need to find my happiness, even without him.
She has to be a very unhappy woman.
@dpk262006 (56109)
@prinzcy You seem very bold but everyone is not like you.
@prinzcy (5063)
@dpk262006 I'm not bold, I just stand up for myself. I think lots of woman here are the same.
@manasamanu (3759)
• Bangalore, India
Mrs.X is such a fool that she carved every way to her husband's girlfriend. She must leave him and just move on. If she still loves her husband then she must fight for what is hers and throw away the girlfriend from their life.
She is probably thinking that she will lose him completely if she made a fuss.
• Bangalore, India
@Kandae11 If then she should just let go off him and move on with her life. Fighting for something that's not worth of her is silly.
@manasamanu You are right of course.
@responsiveme (14444)
It may not have been easy for her to move out.Personally I'd have gone out long ago. Sometimes when the kids are young I've seen people stick it out but once they grow up they move out.
She was unhappy, but her will wasn't strong enough to make the effort.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Kandae11 , I would not accept that. Maybe she relied on her husband financially or blindly loves him, either way she is in a terrible situation.
She was a stay at home mum and he the breadwinner.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Kandae11 and there is I think the answer for her trying to turn a blind eye. She needs him financially.
No, it would not be tolerated. I don't know why she put up with it.
Not much self respect there I would say.
@Kandae11 None at all.
@dpk262006 (56109)
It would not have been easy for Mrs X to accept the circumstances and she probably would have always felt distressed. One link is missing in your story i.e. how come Mr. X's girl friend came to know about their plans and how come she could afford to migrate to same station along with that couple? Did she know their plans in advance?
It would seem Mr. X's girlfriend knew about it even before his wife. You may not be aware of it - but some men confide and tell things to their girlfriends or mistresses that they never tell their wives. As to the migration - Mr. X was not a poor man - and moving between the islands is easy for some.
@dpk262006 (56109)
@Kandae11 If his girl friend knew before hand, then what would have been the purpose of moving from one place to another place because situation different changed at the new place.
@Gillygirl (17269)
• Sutton, England
I would boot him out.
I would take my chances and do the same.
@Gillygirl (17269)
• Sutton, England
@FayeHazel (16269)
Hm, I would rather they told me, upfront that they wanted to see someone. I think what would hurt the most is being played for a fool. It is too bad about those people you mentioned. I think the wife should have confronted the husband, before confronting the girlfriend...
The girlfriend is always the main target. Yes, I think she allowed it to get out of hand.
@FayeHazel (16269)
@Kandae11 It's a pity....
@Daljinder (21017)
I don't know what the details are behind the scene. So, can't comment on Mrs. X. For me personally, I would have been long gone from the situation.
One of the problems she would face if she went that route is that she was unemployed and probably thinking of the children as well. I would have found a way out of it though.
@Daljinder (21017)
@Kandae11 Many like her do that and end up damaging their as well as children's psyhe on some levels.
No way would I stand for that.
I can't imagine living that way.
@GreatMartin (4307)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Of course I would--but I wouldn't settle for less than what I want as Mrs. X is so obviously doing.
You mean you would accept the continued infidelity or you would forgive the guilty party with the expectation that it won't happen again?
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
Does she really love Mr X. Or is she is just staying him for the sake of being called his wife. Well if it was for me I would walk away from that relationship. Living with someone who you know is cheating on you is not easy. Maybe Mrs X is staying with Mr X for the sake of their children
Yes, the children could be the main reason why she is putting up with it.
@tzwrites (4567)
I would not be okay with such a situation. I think the woman should have more self-respect in such situations and divorce.
I think she is really trapped now. It would be harder to make a break, now that they are in another country.
I would not put up with it. Maybe she allows him to have this sort of open relationship or whatever you want to call it. I think it's awfully that someone could hurt two women this way and awful that the girlfriend knows he is married and did this anyway.
That is a good point - the girlfriend has no self respect either - hanging on to a married couple. Shameless!
My sister stayed with her husband for quite some years before she finally found the courage to leave. She said if she'd known how easy it was to get work (at the time) she would have left years earlier. She cleaned houses and phone boxes as she wasn't really skilled in anything in particular although she was very intelligent. Some women wouldn't find it easy to cope on their own. I don't think they all stay with an unfaithful partner because they want to.
Mrs X was obviously not strong willed enough.You are right - some women will find it difficult to cope on their own.
• Trinidad And Tobago
People's circumstances are always different. The wife doesn't seem to be blinded by love...but more by practicality. Perhaps she weigh the balance and found the glass to be half full. What is the alternative if she did left him? It seems he already set up house elsewhere.How might I respond? HMM, let see...some cement in his coffee?
She is probably too blinded to do that.
@bunnybon7 (35436)
• Holiday, Florida
not at all. i never did in 4 of my 5 marriages. lol. the last man always treated me with respect unlike the 4 looser before
Five marriages! - very interesting. In my first and only marriage, I married an abuser - so that was it for me.