Being Lily-Livered Is Not Fun at All

I was watching a rerun of the old sitcom, "Laverne and Shirley." It was the character Squiggy who called someone "lily-livered." We used to hear one cowboy after another call someone "lily-livered" in those old TV Westerns that flooded our TVs back in the day. In medieval days, it was the good old liver that was the organ that held courage. If the liver possessed by a human was filled with red blood, that person was brave as could be. The liver of a coward was drained of blood and was thought to be as a pale as a lily, probably a white lily, and perhaps, a pale pink one. I have been "lily-livered" at times due to my fear of heights. Driving in the city of Chicago definitely has my liver the color of a white lily! Most of us are "lily-livered" at times, and at other times, our livers are filled with blood a plenty!
I'm lily-liveried when it comes to snakes and spiders. I'm petrified of them!!!!
Me too. I will choose to remain lily-livered around snakes and spiders.
@Corbin5 I choose to remain petrified of them, too. There is no way I want to be desensitized- ever!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do pictures bother you? I almost posted my rattlesnake photo, just to be a brat.
Interesting! There is also an old spanish saying that associates liver with courage. And I agree. It depends on our fears. And, I will add, of our age
I never knew of that Spanish saying. How cool is that? Yes, we all have different fears and I seem to fear different things that I never feared before when I was younger.
• Pamplona, Spain
Courage can fail us sometimes and we would not be human if it did not. A lot of people have a fear of heights it takes courage to admit it that is what it takes courage therefore you cannot be lily livered.
I am not going to get over my fear of heights. I live quite well with it. I am good.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Even more courage to say that. I make myself go up the heights even though my legs are shaking but you would not know it.
@lovinangelsinstead21 You have more courage than I do, my friend!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I forgot about that idiom, or whatever it is. I kindo sorta got the meaning right once I read your title. I'm lily-livered when it comes to getting my blood drawn.
My sister is a fainter every time she gets her blood drawn. Someone always has to be ready to catch her. She has a black-belt in karate, but she is lily-livered in that area.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Corbin5 Why does she keep doing it? I "serve" in other areas. But you can't have my blood.
@TheHorse If Sis sees a black eye she faints. Not sure why she is a fainter, but we had to be ready to catch her. She fainted when she saw her scar from a surgical procedure. I actually sewed her a covering she could wear in the shower to cover the scar from a surgical procedure when she took a shower. What a wimp! I will let you keep your blood!!!
I'd bee totally lily livered about going to a big city like Chicago or NYC, both give me the creeps.
The traffic freaks me out. I have no sense of direction either. I used to get lost in the city all the time.
I'd be a lot worse than freaked @Corbin5 I've only heard bad things about Chicago so that doesn't help much.
@rebelann The west side of Chicago is the worst place to be. Downtown is beautiful. The party that runs the state and city is at fault for the problems. They are feckless.
@nanette64 (17142)
• Fairfield, Texas
My Dad wouldn't have allowed me to be lily-livered @Corbin5 .
Yes, my dad was the same way. He had me on roller coasters and ski lifts, even though I was petrified. It did not help one bit. I will always have that fear of heights.
@nanette64 (17142)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Yeah, me and heights have never been good friends either.
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
Cockroaches make me lily livered. I am so scared of them.
I do not like them either. Our first house was an old one, and I remember having to call someone to get rid of those things.
@Nawsheen (22942)
• Mauritius
@Corbin5 in fact we have cockroaches mostly in summer over here. The pest control guys do have lots of work to do during this period
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
Bug in my house make me feel that way. I love to camp and the bugs don't bother me there, it's where they belong, But a moth gets in the house and I'm freaked.
That darn moth!!! Hope all moths stay out of your home, my friend.
@fishtiger58 (30372)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 me too hate all that fluttering around.
I suffer of vertigo and claustrophobia, there is nothing I can do for this, I am not particularly brave, but I do not consider myself lily-livered.
Well, I am just lily-livered regarding certain things. Being full-time lily-livered would mean a pretty bad life.
@Corbin5 You are right, I am also lily-livered regarding certain things, just like Dianne I fear snakes a lot.
@TheSojourner (17479)
I don't know much about being associated with livers, especially in light of mine. LOL But I just want courage. I don't know that my liver has much to do with that.
Well, that courage is hard to come by. I suppose all we can do is face our fears and go forward anyway.
@Corbin5 whether we want to face it move forward or not, time continues.
@RubyHawk (21762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm lily liveried when it comes to heights and reckless drivers and maybe a few other things.
Sometimes being lily-livered keeps us safe!!!
@RubyHawk (21762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 I agree with that.
@bunnybon7 (35527)
• Holiday, Florida
thats pretty funny. i am afraid mine is more lily often then not. as these days i seem to fear so much more then i ever did before.
I have more fears now that I am older. Guess more things that are negative can happen to older persons.
@bunnybon7 (35527)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 very true
Never heard of that before. But guess i have been a few times as well.
It is a strange saying and I had to find out how that saying originated. As kids, those kids without courage were called "chicken." Not sure where "chicken" meaning lacking courage comes from either.
@Corbin5 me either
When it comes to heights, my liver is also quite pale!
I will always be lily-livered regarding heights. That silly overcoming your fears thing is highly overrated.
@Ceerios (4756)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Corbin5 - Ms Deborah - It is more common to be "tulip-faced" than to be lily-livered. Mos people are born with tulips right underneath their noses. -Gus-
@UncleJoe (9481)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Mama used to cook lily-liver and onions with gravy. I can still taste the lily.
I bet Mama's recipe was a good one!! I think your mom's recipe did away with being lily-livered tendencies in her children!!
@OreoBrownie (3491)
• Elberton, Georgia
I remember that word. I used to like old shows.
I still watch the old shows I watched as a kid. I really enjoy doing that.
• Eugene, Oregon
We men will rarely admit to that lily-livered thing, but it does happen now and then. Heights will do it for me too.
I have tried to conquer my fear of heights, but no luck. I am OK with that fear. Will keep my feet on the ground.
@hostessman (8899)
• Tucson, Arizona
at some point in time i am sure everyone has that feeling
Yes, sometimes we are full of courage, and at other times, not so much.
I think I must have been born lily-livered! What a cute little thing to say.
I was born lily-livered too. People should be very kind to lily-livered folks. We have enough problems.