Ronald McDonald House (part 2)

@ramapo17 (25553)
Melbourne, Florida
If we didn't get the hotel room we could have stayed at the Ronald McDonald house for free. They do take donations but never actually charge for anything. We had access to clothes washers and dryers, all the food in the kitchen in the closets and refrigerators plus we had computers for us to use to keep our families up to date with the babies status. We were there for almost two weeks and even though we had a hotel room, we still took naps during the day, basically from exhaustion. We got to know so many families going through different issues for their children. We had to scrub up every time we went into the nursery. There were rows and rows of babies lined up in the nursery. It was the most stressful time of our lives. I had one teenage boy collapse next to me when he found out his baby sister just died. I have never experienced anything so awful in all my years but the Ronald McDonald House made everything as comfortable as possible. Now my grandson is almost 6Ft 3 inches and in 2nd year of high school. He still has issues that need constant attention and a couple of the holes in his heart were left opened as they were not accessible. He cannot play certain sports in school and goes for doctors appointments in New York City. The Ronald McDonald House is amazing and so caring. Hopefully you will never need their help but if you do know that there are some all over the country.
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
It is interesting to hear about these places. Parents who need to use them must be grateful at such a stressful time. Lovely to hear yiur son had future. I wish your family well.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
I started to hear about so many people not knowing about the Ronald McDonald House and thought it was the least I could do, to spread the good word.
It is a wonderful service for parents of sick children.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
Yes it was and everyone seemed to bond together because we all had the same thought through this, saving children.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Ronald McDonald house. That is great they do what they do for the families that stay there. I am glad your grandson is doing so good.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
Thank you. I am so amazed how he has turned out. He is the most caring young man I have ever known.
I am glad that everything worked out for him. I know I've had a few friends stay at the Ronald McDonald house and they could not say enough good things about the place.
It was a good thing that they valued the principles of social responsibility. Some companies forget this especially the small-scale businesses.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are right. We always hear about the bad companies so I knew I had to spread the good word about them.
@ramapo17 I had known the good deeds of the owner for returning it back to people.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Shavkat More people should be like this.
@PainsOnSlate (20508)
I'm so glad you grand son made it through that scary stuff.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
Me too and he grew up to be such a caring young man and very funny and good looking.
@ramapo17 That is a happy ending to the story. makes me smile.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
@PainsOnSlate I know what you mean. Even if I don't know someone and I hear happy endings I get emotional. Thank you.
I think most people know about the Ronald McDonald House. We have St. Jude's which provided free medical for all kids - never a bill - the parents are provided with everything they need to stay for free. My husband's son/wife stayed at one in Philly for about 5 months when the baby was born premie. He had many isues and always will with spina bifada.
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is another great place. People always hear about bad things about people and places but do not know anything about good place. St Jude's was founded by Danny Thomas many years ago and now his daughter is still working hard there.
@ramapo17 I know....Living in TN it's something we hear about all the time.
@shivamani10 (11189)
• Hyderabad, India
They are really doing a great service. They need special honor
@ramapo17 (25553)
• Melbourne, Florida
Yes they do, that is why I wanted to spread the word as there are always people that need this.