The Horse takes chicken love to a new level!

Pleasant Hill, California
As you may know, I was a Grumpy Horse when I picked up my kid client yesterday. But my kid client has anger issues, so I used my grumpiness as a "therapeutic tool" to get my kid to discuss anger issues. It worked! When we got to Borges Ranch, we petted the goats and then hung out with the chickens for awhile. I asked Dan, the fella who manages the place, if he had any chicken feed so I could show my young friend how to feed the chickens by hand. The rooster and about five hens ate seeds from my hand, and then one of the hens came really close and let me pick her up. She seemed pretty comfortable, so I held for about 30 seconds and chatted with her in chicken language. I put her down gently, with out issue. Then after about a minute, I heard a flurry of feathers. She flew up and landed on my left shoulder! She just sat there, examining my ear and then the top of my hat, before jumping back down. My grumpy mood was gone! My kid client and I chilled with the chickens a bit longer, petted the goats some more, visited the pig, and then both went home in a good mood. Have you ever had an unusual experience throw you into a good mood? Have you ever seen friendly animals fail as therapists for kids (and adults)?
• Eugene, Oregon
Animals are great therapy for people of all ages. They take them into hospitals and nursing homes I know. Even this little Chihuahua we are sitting for my daughter (again) is keeping me busy but feeling good.
@josie_ (7409)
Animals need loving too. I often hug my dogs when the occasion arise.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good point. It's not just kids who benefit from interacting with animals.
Well whatever you said to her, she must've loved it! When I was a child, I had a lot of anger issues. I had to go to therapy myself, and was assigned a therapist who would take me out on trips. We went singular (just the two of us) to places but then once or twice I went with a few other girls... But yes, being around animals can be therapeautic at any age.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think one-on-one interaction, away from a boring stuffy office, is good for kids. And I haven't worked with a kid yet (well, maybe one) who didn't love animals, or come to love them.
@EMuhungi (1733)
• Nairobi, Kenya
That was a very interesting experience. I cant remember one @TheHorse .
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope she jumps up on my shoulder again. Yesterday, she let me hold her (I was with a different kid client). But she didn't jump on my shoulder.
@EMuhungi (1733)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@TheHorse You must be enjoying your self there?
@josie_ (7409)
You have good communication skills, Dr. Dolittle
• Eugene, Oregon
Funny!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think I speak more animal than human languages.
I've had some social situations turn out better than I had envisioned them and that was nice.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I made a new friend. I fed her by hand again today (with a different kid client), and also held her for awhile, but she didn't jump up on my shoulder. That made my day yesterday.
@TheHorse .....I held one once when I was a kid and got ring worm.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle Did you get ringworm on your hands? A little tolnaftate and it's gone, right?
@Morleyhunt (20283)
Animals seem to sense our needs. Let me share some more chicken love. This was what my husband showed our granddaughter two weeks ago.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, how old is she? Did she get to hold the baby chick?
@Morleyhunt (20283)
@TheHorse she's four, and she was afraid to hold the chick.....she did gently stroke it and was amazed at how soft and warm it was.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Morleyhunt Cool! Maybe next time. Chicks are so cute!
@RubyHawk (28313)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure I've had those experiences but I haven't been around farm animals in years. You seem to have a good hand with kids
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, they seem to enjoy my company for some reason.
@RubyHawk (28313)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse Kids need all the help they can get.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@RubyHawk They really do. So far as I can tell, they need love, attention, good modeling, and guidance.
@TheSojourner (17306)
I have been in an extremely sad mood today and it's made me rather grumpy. Just reading this put a smile on my face and when you wrote that it jumped up on your shoulder, I was wishing it had been me that was communing with the chickens so they would have done that to me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What made you sad? Do you know? I kind of get sad, anxious and grumpy at the same time. I'm glad I got some chicken therapy.
@TheHorse I do know, but I don't want to disclose it here.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
Critters definitely have a 6th sense @TheHorse . My 14 cats have the ability to 'chill' me out; unless of course one of them is the cause.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Cats rule the human world. But I do believe that animals can sense who is "safe" and who is not. Even chickens.
@nanette64 (17836)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse I do too. That's why I wish more people would pay more attention to their critters.
Glad that your grumpiness has departed
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. I still have residual grumpiness, as we still have template problems at work. But I'm getting my progress notes turned in. It just takes more effort.
I've only seen therapy dogs. Cheered me up, though.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe I'll start a new thing--"therapy chickens."
Animals are always a good therapy that works for adults and kids. I know that my bad mood disappear when Willy the cat comes to rub against my legs.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. My horse always did the same for me.
Animals always calm the nerves, plus you can tell them your secrets and they wont tell anyone.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good point. I even told one that I sometimes eat chicken and she didn't seem to mind.
@Platespinner (17045)
Not long ago my daughter was enduring an outing with myself, my husband, @MorleyHunt and her husband. The unexpected presence of some VERY friendly cats put a rather large smile on her face. She's a bit of an Eeyore so anything that makes her eyes light up is noteworthy.
@Morleyhunt (20283)
Those were very friendly cats, and we were treated to many happy smiles.
That's very cool indeed! Just what you both needed it seems.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Exactly. The goats and chickens helped both of us.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
Animals have been proven to make people happy, glad it was a successful outing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. I think it was good for both me and the kid.
I have had an animal before realize I was grumpy and bug me or be silly until I felt better. Dogs can smell more than people, so maybe grumpy has a smell
@dragon54u (31636)
Just about anything can put me in a good mood. I was grumpy today. I just got back from the store, which I did not want to go to, and I felt better because an employee asked how I was doing and I said fine and he stopped and told me he hoped I had a great rest of the day. That put a smile on my face. It wasn't just a passing automatic "how are you" it was a deliberate effort to make me feel good. I love it when that happens and try to do it for others when I'm not grumpy like I was today! That chicken must have really been taken with you! Maybe she heard the music in your soul. Chickens are great animals.
@Fleura (7194)
When I was about 12 my Mum thought it would be a good idea to get a broody hen and a clutch of eggs so I could watch them grow. The mother hen never became that friendly but those chicks adopted me as their honorary friend, and once they were grown, whenever I came out of the house they used to fly up and perch on my head and shoulders.
This reminds me of a post I want to write about a horse that bit me.