She's Back!

She's back. A mother robin has built her nest on our downspout four years in a row. I did research to determine if the same mother robin will return to the same nest-spot each year, and yes, she will. It is called "nest fidelity." Robins will make their way to the same breeding site each year if the spot used for a nest has proven to be safe in the past. I am pleased that mother robin feels our downspout is a very safe place to raise her babies. However, whenever I water the plant in the huge concrete urn below the nest, she yells at me. She knows by now I will not cause her, or her babies, any harm. Despite my proven track record of doing no harm, she will still yell at me when I water that plant. I would move the concrete urn so as not to bother mother robin when I water the plant inside that big urn, but it weighs over 60 pounds, and it has a matching urn on the other end of the house, so it will stay put. I understand she has a very important job to do, so I will just not let her yelling at me hurt my feelings. I think I will name her Gracie.
I hope Gracie has a lot of wonderful baby robins! We had blue birds last year under our porch roof, but this year some some bird beat them to the spot. They are small birds, males have reddish heads and neck, females all brown - she has been sitting on eggs about two weeks.
I hope those eggs for your bird turn into healthy baby birds. Maybe Gracie will begin to trust me, but I doubt it.
@Corbin5 I don't think birds trust humans ever. A hummingbird flew into our door years back...he was out of it...my husband held him in his hands for a while, then sat him gently on a chair...as soon as he could he flew - not even a thank you!
@AbbyGreenhill Oh dear. A "thank you" would have been appropriate! Oh well, manners are not a top priority for birds.
She may be reminding you that she has her eye on you!
She sure does give me a tongue-lashing. I just apologize and water quickly.
@Corbin5 do you have one of those long arm sprinkler attachments? That way you won't be so close to the nest.
@ElusiveButterfly Will give that a try. I do not have one, but can easily buy one. A great idea. Don't want to make eye-contact with Gracie.
I love the name. I used to have birds build nests in my house plants and if I watered them they would fly out and try to attack me. I don`t know how but the plants lived till they flew that coup
I am just Gracie has attacked me yet. If she does, that plant can just die.
• Midland, Michigan
That reminds me of a situation, Andria, that happened a couple of years ago while we were washing windows at a condo we do twice a year. Up on a large desk where there are about ten windows, in the corner is a fake pine sitting in a planter where the owners have Christmas tree lights surrounding it all year round. This one particular year, we didn't know that there was a nest in that fake bush that stood about up to my shoulders. As our young man at the time was washing a window near that bush one of the adult birds flew out in anger and almost attacked him. As he ran off the porch he noticed one or two of the babies escaped the nest too. He was able to retrieve them and put them back into the nest while the parent was scolding us from a tree across the yard. I hoped that parent would go back to take care of those babies, but I don't know whether it ever did or not. We felt so bad about it.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 I don't know if you want to fix this to reflect 'hasn't' as in hasn't attacked you yet. I know what you meant, but not sure whether all those where English isn't their native tongue would get it.
Awww, I had a golden retriever named Gracie, she was the gentlest soul. I don't know if I've ever seen one here but we do get a few birds here who are red. Mostly they come in spring and migrate farther north as it gets hotter I wish I could move 60 lbs but I have trouble trying to carry the 42 lb bags of litter ..... age just keeps on kicking
Years ago, I could move those things. Like you, I am not as strong as I used to be. Oh well, I am sure glad you like the name Gracie, but my bird Gracie sure is not sweet to me.
Gracie is just protecting her young @Corbin5 I'm sure it's nothing personal.
@rebelann Yes, once the kids are gone, we can work on becoming friends.
• Preston, England
nice that she returns year after year
I am glad she has such a safe place for her nest too. I will do my best to stay away when I can.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 you obviously treat her well or she would never return
@cacay1 (33190)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@arthurchappell she feels the place safe.
Maybe you can snap a photo of Gracie
I will do that, my friend. I don't mind if she yells at me while doing so. I am used to it.
@cacay1 (33190)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Tampa_girl7 , that is nice, but the bird may yell at her hehehe.
@cacay1 (33190)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 Please watch she might fly at you and yell face to face
Does the bird use the same nest every year or rebuilds it each time?
Yes, it is called "nest fidelity" when a mother bird returns to a spot that has proved safe for her nest. I know her voice since she has yelled at me for a few years, and yep, it's her.
• Midland, Michigan
We have a nest in a similar spot outside my window near the kitchen and that nest stays there each year. I've thought of knocking it down, but I know the bird would just rebuild or another might in it's place so I just leave it be.
@UncleJoe (10645)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
A nesting Robin's biggest concern are cats of all sizes. That is when they are most vulnerable. Do you have cats?
We do not have a cat, and in our suburb, all dogs and cats must be on-leash when outside of fenced yards, but two fellows down the street feed two feral cats who roam the area. Her nest is way up there, so babies will be safe.
@PainsOnSlate (20423)
My mother's name was Gracie, I love the name. Now I need to go look at our downspout too, a robin was there a few years ago but I will check and see if she came back.
Oh, your robin may have returned too. I love the name Gracie. It is such a pretty name.
@Corbin5 I agree, love the nane too.
@nanette64 (17867)
• Fairfield, Texas
It amazes me sometimes where birds will put their nests @Corbin5 . Her name: Bi*chy Gerdy.
Yes, that is the perfect name for her, my friend. She certainly is cranky!!!
• Midland, Michigan
Cute, I never heard of anyone naming their returning birds before, especially ones that 'yell' at them for simple things like watering one's plants. I have a nest in almost the exact location outside the windows where I sit at my computer. The birds that use that one aren't robins though. They may be sparrows or if it's another type I can't remember what it might be.
Glad you have a nest to view too. I can always see Gracie's head, but not the babies. Gracie is a great nest-builder.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 If I really wanted to see the babies, I could get out one of my ladders to get up a bit higher. But now after my knee replacement, I'm hopeful that I can continue to minimize the need to be on any ladder any more. I'll probably be more stable once it's fully healed and I have full mobility back again, but as we age it's best to stay on the ground as our balance changes.
I remember when you posted about it last year, and here she is again coming back home!
I think she gets a bit of pleasure yelling at me. Hope we can become good friends one fine day.
@Corbin5 If she's hard of hearing, you might already be good friends!
Good name for her. I hope she doesn't yell too much this year.
Well, I will just ignore her and try to water that plant quickly. I know she has a very important job to do.
@Corbin5 You are so considerate of the feathered and fur people.
I feel so happy for you. Our Dhobi bird returned twice but the second time our improvised post box was meddled with by someone and her nest was destroyed. She did not return
Oh dear. So sad to have her nest destroyed. It is really comforting to know that a bird trusts a person and place to keep her babies safe. I can put up with her yelling at me.
@Corbin5 I do have nests though in the garden as a whole - here and there on top of trees. I would have been happy if they continued in that letter box.
@ShifaLk (8398)
Aww that's sweet... Mothers are always lovely n caring whether it's human or other creatures. Great
Yes, mothers, and dads too, are very protective of their babies!!
@ShifaLk (8398)
@Corbin5 but some dads are very Hey Happy Easter
@sjvg1976 (18410)
Of course she finds your place to be safer one so she comes every year at your home to build her nest.
I am always glad she feels that spot on our house is safe for her and for her babies.
@sjvg1976 (18410)
@Corbin5 this is good . Also she thinks the owner of the house is kind as she would allow robin to make nest
@CRK109 (14433)
How wonderful to know that a new family will be residing with you again!
Yes, I have gotten to know this mama bird pretty well since she always returns to that spot in the spring. Maybe she won't yell at me this much this spring. Heck, we have a birdbath in front for her to enjoy too, so she has a spa-like spot.
@CRK109 (14433)
@Corbin5 No wonder she likes coming back! You're spoiling her! lol
Gracie is a nice name.
Yes, to me, she looks like a Gracie. I hope she likes the name I chose for her.
@Corbin5 I'm sure she does.
@Hate2Iron (7972)
I didn't know that about Robins... I have found one nest, but I'm not sure if it will be used again or not. At the moment... it is empty! Say hello to Gracie for me!
I will say "Hello!" to Gracie for you. She is a really good mother. If I recall, I remove Gracie's nest when she is done with it in the fall. Wonder if she would use it if I left it there until next season? Well, found the answer and it is a "no" when it comes to using an old nest since the old nest is all stretched out and crumbling, so they build a new one each season.
@cacay1 (33190)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hehehe very interesting my friend for having this bird dominant than the owner hahaha.It is very understandable she wants protection and her birdies.Many said that lucky are those having a bird's nest in their abode.
Yes, that nest is up high, so no harm will come to Gracie's babies. I will just have to put up with her yelling at me.