Yes because screaming at your young child is the way to go...

Definitely, it's been proven that startling your child (and the other diners around you) is the best way to get your child to stop the behavior that they are expressing... Especially, especially if your child is under the age of 5. You should definitely startle the child and they'll stop doing whatever it is that you don't like. It's a bonus if you startle the patrons around you. No, no you shouldn't worry that your child doesn't actually understand what it is they are doing wrong, and that in fact you are just startling them, confusing them, and perhaps making them a timid thing later on in life. You shouldn't worry that your abrupt shouts are really just making your child terrified of you. Definitely not. These are definitely not things you should worry about... -_-_-_- okay so before those whom jump to conclusions start jumping... You should realize that I am being very very sarcastic here.Loud, sudden shouts should only be acceptable when the child is imminent danger and NOT when all they are doing is something impolite.... I was in a restaurant just a little while ago and a gentleman (I am using this term in respect, though I don't think he was very gentlemanly at all) suddenly, sternly and somewhat loudly said his son's name... In two separate instances. I didn't say anything to the man, but I did internally shake my head. I remember being shouted out like that when I was a little older than that poor boy, and all it really got me was afraid of my father...
I never yelled at my kids in public. I told them before we went somewhere if they were bad we would leave without eating or buying anything if we were in a store.
That's how I was treated growing up as well... They might be stern with me in public, but never shouting.
@josie_ (8018)
I was raise in the "spare the rod and spoil the child" tradition. Although I turn out OK (with the exception to my fondness of using sarcasm) There are so many advice/ methods of how to raise children it can get confusing for parents. As long as you give them the love and care they need, things will work out fine. I spoil my grandchildren which is what grand-parenting is all about, and I will never humiliate a child in public as what that "gentleman" did.
Yes, and the "gentleman" also humiliated himself because, while there were only a few other diners, I am sure most of them were thinking along the same lines as I was.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
A stern shout is far better than some of the alternatives I've seen. At least he didn't grab the boy up and start beating him. I actually did see that happen one time. Some people shouldn't be parents.
If he had, I don't care how uncomfortable I would have been confronting him, I would have done it... Yes, some people should not be parents...
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yeah, sometimes you have to feel really bad for kids. Other times you have kids running amock and parents not doing anything, then you want to smack those parents too!
My Mumma slapped me once, in front of my best friend. I was about thirteen though, and we were in our own home, and I KNEW that what I was doing and saying was VERY wrong. Little kids don't know though. Still, it's easy to observe and judge, without knowing what's gone on before, and what will happen after. :)
I don't feel bad about judging this because the little boy was so young... He couldn't have been more than 3-4 years old. Whatever the boy was doing was not observed by me because everything at that table was quiet until the man shouted. I realize there are always situations out there that we don't get the bigger picture on though. i was disciplined in front of friends at that age as well, but never slapped in front of them.
@atoz1to10 (6821)
Were you and your mum OK after that? Like she apologised and explained her action? and you forgave her? I think sometimes parents think that their children don't have any feeling when being humiliated in front of others....
My father never yelled at me, nor in public and in our private home. I think this is wrong and you are correctly in saying that children can grow shy and confused. The best is to speak to a child like she/he was an adult. They do understand.
The only loud or disruptive behavior from that table was from the father himself.. I didn't hear anything the boy might have been doing wrong so I can only imagine he was being impolite in some way... Regardless, the father should not have shouted. I was spanked as a child by my father, and also yelled at. I would back myself into a corner and hug my knees to me, burying my head there and cry. This happened as early as 10 years old, but probably much earlier as well.. I just don't remember it.,
@ScribbledAdNauseum My father never spanked me, nor my brother, he was strict but he was convinced that rude methods were not to be used. It worked with both of us.
People do it all the time. Its sad. One day they'll learn. I hope.
I don't know about all that.. I mean them learning. A lot of times disciplining the children is based off of how they were disciplined... Not all the time, but sometimes. I imagine the man was disciplined in much the same way.. It didn't help that he was muscular, attractive but muscular.. He must've looked quite the beast to his young child...
@atoz1to10 (6821)
Yes, you did confuse me a little bit until I read further down... Children get too scared when they are being shouted at, and then they will not remember what they need to do. Your story reminds me of a parent in a swimming pool. Her daughter refused to get changed to go home, so, the mother hit the girl. I know she was trying to descipline her daughter but hitting her in public like that? I was tempting to remind that parent to be careful as she could get in trouble...
Exactly, the children get scared and they sort of go into a fight or flight mode... More or less they either shy away or react with more yelling, or even hitting... They don't understand what it is they are doing wrong and shouldn't be shouted out. The first time the father today shouted? That's all he did was shout the boys name. The second time he followed it up with hushed words, but he looked very menacing looking at the poor boy. I am sure the boy was terrified, and that's probably why he quieted down... In your situation, it's hard to know just what to do. Parents don't take kindly to being told things like that they should be mindful of how they treat their children in public... Of course, obviously she should be mindful and honestly while I can understand her agitation, hitting the child is definitely not the way to go about things. When I was a child at the pool, my mom would always threaten me with less and less pool time. "Ok we won't be coming back tomorrow." or "Okay the next time we go we will only stay an hour instead of two."
@atoz1to10 (6821)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, if it was me, I might say the same thing to that little girl. Oh well, different parent has different way to react to their child/children's behaviour. I just hope that I will not loose my cool with my children when I'm out...
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
People sometimes have no clue have to be a parent. Nice that they share their lack of knowledge with others too!
Part of me wanted to go up to him and tell him off for the way he was just suddenly yelling the child's name... But he was sitting with several other people, and I didn't want to make a scene... His wife, girlfriend, sister, whoever it was sitting beside him.. I just can't believe she allowed it.