A New Experience

This morning, I had my first ever CT scan. I didn't enjoy the experience. First, I had to arrive 1.5 hours early after no food or drink (i.e. no COFFEE!) to consume an enormous jug of lemonade flavored liquid. The taste wasn't terrible at first. However, I felt nauseous around the halfway point. Yuck! Plus, it made me cold. I'm rarely cold. My teeth were chattering by the time I finished. When I was finally taken back to the procedure area, they had to poke me with an IV. This IV was in the crease of my arm/elbow and hurt when I moved my arm. So that part wasn't fun. I started to feel a little anxious upon entering the cold radiology room. Lying flat upon my back, I had to move my arms over my head at times which felt uncomfortable mostly due to the IV. The technicians put iodine in the iv which was an odd sensation. Afterward I felt slightly headachy and queasy. When they had me hold my breath, I had a hard time holding it as long as they wished which led me to feeling a little anxious. I also think that contributed to my headache. Thankfully, the entire process wasn't too lengthy. I think I would have reached panic attack level if it had gone on much longer. Now the slow part: waiting for results. The tech said to expect results in 3 days. THREE DAYS! What the heck? I have no idea why it takes so long. You know they have the information from something like that fairly quickly. Just pass it along to my doctor already! I want to know why I'm in pain. Have you ever had a CT scan?
My husband had a CT scan soon after Christmas and the result was sent to the doctor a couple of hours later.
exactly! it makes no sense to make people wait
@jillybean1222 This is what I think, they have the results immediately so why to keep people waiting.
I believe I've had one before, a few years ago when I went to the hospital for stomach pains and they couldn't find anything in ultrasounds. But not sure. Doesn't sound like something I would want done if I haven't.. glad its over and you can somewhat relax. hope these three days go by fast for you.
thank you! i think sometimes they don't have you drink that drink depending what they are looking for, but it sounds like they do when it is abdominal
No and after what you just described I would turn it down if at all possible. I have an overactive bladder which is. If I drink one bottle of water I have to go to the bathroom about every 15 minutes to over an hour. If I want to go to my bed and have a chance of not pissed in my bed at night I have to stop drinking liquid two hours or more before I go to sleep which leaves me definitely Thirsty. In order for me to adore can a CAT scan it would have to be without that lemonade stuff that you just finished drinking. Or I would have to turn it down
yeah, not pleasant.
@Morleyhunt (14146)
I've never had a CT scan. The headache might be because you needed that morning caffeine jolt. I know if I don't get my morning coffee before a certain time, I get a headache, and drinking the coffee will ease it but it does take some time. Hopefully you find the problem quickly and that it's a quick and easy fix.
i also thought it could have been caffeine related. i need my morning coffee!
I've never had a CT scan but I'm hoping you get your results quickly
thank you!
@marsha32 (6779)
No, I've never had one but I know it would make me anxious and queasy too...mostly having to drink the stuff. I hope the results tell what needs to be done to relieve your pain.
yeah, i was thinking it would be a smaller container of a drink, like the one i had to drink when i had the glucose test during pregnancy
I have never had one done. Here it takes much longer then that to get the results even though they know them right away. I would have been in panic mode too if I were in your place.
yeah, i feel like if it is a health issue, it should be more quickly. i did end up getting the results on friday
Yes, I have had a few CT scans already. Not pleasant. Hope that you don't have to wait 3 days for the results.
ended up getting them friday, thankfully
Three days seems a bit lengthy. No, I haven't had one.
i ended up getting it a little more quickly thankfully
@hereandthere (19485)
no, but someone described to me her mri experience, which made me hope i would never have to.
oh i hope i never need an MRI
@shivamani10 (9404)
• Hyderabad, India
They take time. Don't be excited and overenthusiastic in such matters. Things will take time to analyze.
So sorry you went through all that discomfort. I haven't had one, but heard they are better than an MRI. Don't rush the doctor. He needs to study it. Good luck!
i would not want an MRI. i think i would feel very claustrophobic
@jillybean1222 My hubs had to be put out. Lol!
@DianneN wow, for a CT? or an MRI? well, i understand because i hated the Ct and I've seen an MRI on my kids and hated the looks of that too
@moffittjc (29206)
• Gainesville, Florida
I had a CT scan done once, and about halfway through they had to stop and ask me what was wrong. I told them nothing, I was fine, but they said I was crying like a baby! I told them that I wasn't crying, I felt fine, was comfortable, and that they could continue. The nurse brought me a mirror and held it up to my face so I could see my reflection, Sure enough, I was balling like a baby! Turns out I was allergic to the radioactive stuff they put in that drink you have to chug at the beginning. I didn't even know I was crying, but that was my allergic reaction kicking in. They wanted to stop the scan, but I told them they were already halfway through it, and that I felt fine, so I asked them to continue. I wasn't bothered at all by the experience, but looking back now it was quite funny that I was crying like a baby and didn't even know it!
that is so funny that you didn't realize it! how odd!
@moffittjc (29206)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jillybean1222 I know! I couldn't even feel the tears pouring out of my eyes and down my cheeks! I had no idea!
@shshiju (8548)
• Cochin, India
No but undergone for a MRI that is terrible one.
yes, i don't think i would like that one either
Yes, about a decade ago. I didn't like it at all
yeah, i think my expectations were just that it would be very much like an X-ray & it wasn't
I hope they find out why you are in pain and the pain will come to an end.
thank you. i'm ready to feel normal again
That doesn't sound very pleasant. Vin had to hold his arms above his head and found that very difficult.
yes, it was uncomfortable
@katsmeow1213 (28685)
Nope. My son had an MRI. I just had my first mammogram.. that was loads of fun.
i've had one mammogram so far & yeah, that's not much fun either, but it was better than the CT scan in my opinion
• Rochester, New York
I have and it was one of the most uncomfortable experience's I have ever had in a hospital. I hope they find out what's wrong with you and are able to help you get better very soon.
thanks. and yes, i just had no idea it was going to be so uncomfortable