I last saw my dad seven years ago

By Gill
@Gillygirl (16789)
Sutton, England
I have been feeling very raw today. I last saw my dad seven years ago today. Some mylotters know he had dementia in later life. I was told by a doctor that his death was imminent. My mum and I sat with him for hours. He was sleeping most of the time. He did wake up and gripped my hand to the point where it hurt. I didn't care and he didn't want to let go. I'll never forget the way he looked at me. It was an expression of horror. I'm sure he knew the end was near and he was trying to fight back. At 3:15am the next morning I woke suddenly. Ten minutes later I received a phone call telling me he had gone. The photo is of my mum, dad who is holding my daughter and me in my garden. They were happy days. Sorry I'm not my usual self.
Losing a loved one is always sad - and that empty feeling remains forever.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
I seem to be feeling it more this year.
I understand how you are feeling. My mother's birthday was about five days ago and she's been gone for about seven years as well... sometimes the grief just hits you out of nowhere and stops you in your tracks.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Birthdays can be hard too.
Its okay, I understand more than you know. I have been dreaming about my day the past week, I recall two dreams.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Do you mean what I think you mean?
@Gillygirl Yes I meant dad, lol.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@andriaperry I dream about my parents at times. The dreams seem so real.
I feel your pain my friend. I know that one day I will suffer the same loss. Mom is slipping slowly away from us. This disease is horrible. Big hugs to you lady.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you I am sorry to hear about your mum.
@Gillygirl we will see her tomorrow. The nursing home is sponsoring an Easter Egg Hunt. She loves to see her great-granddaughter. It brings a smile to her face.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@ElusiveButterfly That is good of the nursing home. Little ones can cheer patients up. I hope you all have a good day.
We all slip down memory lane where we spend time remembering and crying. I lived 850 miles from my parents and I didn't make it back to NJ in time for either. In a way I am glad I didn't have to see them go, and I can remember them both the last time I saw them alive. Take your time and do what you need to do.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Sometimes memory lane can help. I prefer to remember both mine as they were in the photo. They lived a ten minute walk away from me.
@Gillygirl I lived two miles from my parents most of my adult life...Until we moved south.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@AbbyGreenhill Do you find living in the South very different?
• Pamplona, Spain
That is very understandable. You must have loved him very much and its a lovely photo.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you Sue, I did very much.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@lovinangelsinstead21 To lose a sibling and niece as well a your mum must have been difficult.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Gillygirl Last one I lost was one of my Nieces and I had not seen her in years and even now when I go back on Facebook its hard not to remember her.
@1hopefulman (24980)
Belated condolences Gil on the loss of your dad! I guess the pain never goes away. May God continue to give you strength!
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, time heals and memories help. Anniversaries are still painful. I don't know if they become less raw.
@1hopefulman (24980)
@Gillygirl Yes, time helps somewhat but not completely!
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@1hopefulman No I don't think it completely goes away.
I am so sorry that you went through this. It is just the cruelest disease. My dad has vascular dementia and my mama has Alzheimer's. it's a nightmare sometimes.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
It must be very difficult for you.
@Gillygirl some days are better than others. There are a good many of us on Mylot that are in the same situation. I know you know what it's like and it is a comfort to have support here from fellow Mylotters.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@Tampa_girl7 Yes the members on here are very supportive and I read many posts showing appreciation.
@Sun7788 (261)
• Changzhou, China
I lost my two relatives during these two years, I can understand your feeling, all we can do is to cherich the fond recollections and lead an active life.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
It is awful to lose any loved ones but as you say we must cherish the good times.
@Sun7788 (261)
• Changzhou, China
@Gillygirl Yeah, learn to love, honour and cherish the living around you
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
I am so sorry. The anniversary of their deaths are always difficult no matter how many years pass. Nice photos. It is the happy time and the beautiful memories that get you through the difficult times.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thanks Lauren, I have been going through old photos today.
@Gillygirl awww that is nice. I hope you find comfort in it.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
@Happy2BeMe Yes I do thanks.
@ridingbet (44083)
i am so sorry for your loss. my mother's life in heaven anniversary will be on June 13;she left us 8 years ago. i miss them both, father and mother.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Time heals but those anniversary dates are still very painful.
@ridingbet (44083)
@Gillygirl yes and they seem to be actually embedded in our hearts.
I understand and send you big hugs. Losing loved ones is never easy.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you Dianne.
@Gillygirl You're welcome.
@responsiveme (14225)
I am truly sorry, it's so hard seeing our parents growing old. That is a lovely picture...You must be having so many precious memories.So in that way I believe that the people we love are always with us.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you I agree that memories ensure a person is always with us.
@garymarsh6 (13097)
It is a wicked evil illness Gill. He is at last at peace. I have witnessed many patients dying. I am sure that locked deep inside the person is still aware of what is going on. Nothing you can really say to take away the pain. Just remember him with fondness and all the happy times!
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you Gary.
• Portland, Connecticut
II am sending you a hug, as it turns out, today is the day I lost my dad 33 years ago. IN some ways it seems forever and in others it is very much like yesterday and I am tearing up thinking abut it. I was with him as were all my siblings and my mom when he left us.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Hugs sent back to you. These anniversaries are very difficult.
@OreoBrownie (3483)
• Elberton, Georgia
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have early dementia and I worry about the days that are to come when I won't know my daughter. I lose words and can't speak at times. I'm sorry you feel raw today. I can understand it.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
I am sorry to hear you have this condition. Do you have medication to control it?
That's a lovely photo. A very good captured snapshot of a natural moment in time. *huggles*
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you Elizabeth. That was back in 1992. The garden was a higgledy piggledy style. I preferred it that way.
@FayeHazel (15199)
That's alright , Gill. It is a sad memory. I'm sure he knew you love him though. What a nice picture. Thanks for sharing and I will hope that you feel some comfort
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you. The garden looks very different nowadays. That part has been grassed over.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Sorry for your loss. it's always hart to lose those close to us, even if it is not sudden. I am sure your Dad loves you very much. Keep strong.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, I feel a little better now.
That's very sad. I'm so sorry.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
I guess it's almost certain our parents go first. To lose a child would be unbearable.