Do you donate to thrift stores?

Richfield, Utah
So me and my sister were having a fun conversation today over lunch. Now I know many shop the thrift stores, but why the decline in donations? Lots of reasons, including, they can get some money for the donation selling at a yard sale (in person and online through various social media channels) my reason I don't donate is that the only thrift store in this area tends to be really picky as to what they take, plus ive seen a bit of theft. So, I donate to my local women's shelter, as they need it more than others. Some of these women get to the shelters with nothing, and they can't afford even a dollar. Why, just a few months ago, I donated two brand new transformer toys to a little boy about 6 years that was living there with his mom. I told him he could have them, just the happy look on his face was priceless. Granted, I probably could have gotten 20 buck for them easy, but I'm happier seeing a kid get use out of them. My kids were never interested in those, so why keep them in the house collecting dust? So, if you run out of donation options, try the homeless shelters or the local women's shelter. :)
I donate mine to the shelter for abused women and children.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats awesome I do the same thing :) some of these women and children come into these shelters with literally nothing.
@librarygeek1980 yes a lot of them arrive with just the clothes on their back. It is so sad.
• Richfield, Utah
@Happy2BeMe it is sad, breaks my heart.
I used to buy all of the kids in a homeless shelter a gift every year.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats way cool! Just something like all the feels about seeing the kids faces light up :)
I don't donate to thrift stores. I usually give away my things to the people in my hometown who can't afford to buy clothes.
• Richfield, Utah
There's a lot more of that going on here too :)
@Morleyhunt (14146)
When I donate clothing or household goods I generally drop it off at our local Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift shop. I've donated baby things to a women's shelter.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats good, the women's shelter here also takes household goods, as the ones that are transitioning into thier own permanent housing are in need of these things as well
@DWDavis (11224)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
My wife and I donate regularly to the local Salvation Army Thrift Store. We won't donate to Goodwill as it is privately owned and the owner helps himself to a heft salary.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats usually been the case for some of the thrift stores around here, too much theft.
@dragon54u (31040)
I put anything I don't want outside at the edge of my yard with a "free" sign. It's usually gone within an hour, whatever it is. My neighborhood looks like a nice middle class place but many people are struggling to make ends meet after they pay their mortgage. They haven't recovered from the recession and their employers have cut their hours so they won't have to buy them the health insurance that has gone through the roof. Others lost their jobs and never found ones as good and many are working 2 or more jobs. So if they can use my things--for themselves or to sell--they are welcome to them.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats great! That's also been the case here in this state, most have never recovered from the recession, so now there is a housing shortage, no affordable place to live. Sad state we live in :(
@shivamani10 (9404)
• Hyderabad, India
I generally donate them to the poor and needy. Most of the time to the garbage lifters. I give them a lot.
• Richfield, Utah
I do the same thing :)
No.. but we do drop them in clothing bins and bring them to the food pantries.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats good, the food bank here also accepts clothing donations as well.
@Trensue (5268)
We donate to several different organizations. We have clothes drives for every season here.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats awesome, we have two coat drives every winter, always food bank drives, and just a couple of years ago, our local miss teen royalty did a shoes for Africa drive, it was a neat experience :)
There is no such thing where I live.
• Richfield, Utah
A thrift store is a place where people take gently used items and resale them at a lower price, pretty much a form of reusing and recycling
• Prairieville, Louisiana
I have a thrift store next to my apartment.Never donate but shop at it.
• Richfield, Utah
Some thrift stores are great as long as they keep the prices decent
That is so very good of you I spend so much money at thrift stores I don't really donate as much, a women's shelter seems like a good place to donate
• Richfield, Utah
They are a really good place to donate, actually back years ago I used to work for a thrift store. Good times :)
@carebear29 (22452)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
i love thrift stores.
• Richfield, Utah
I used to, but I like the discount stores better.
That's a good idea. I have donated quite a lot of stuff to our local op shop.
• Richfield, Utah
Thats awesome :)