So Why Did She Run After The Gunman?

Trinidad And Tobago
Yesterday, just before lunch, a robbery took place in my village. The gunshot could be heard from where we are living. A vegetable vendor was held up at gunpoint (gun placed at her head) and robbed of her day’s earnings and personal jewelry. There were three Indian men, two who did the robbery and one who waited in the get-away car some 100 feet away around a corner. This is a normal frequent crime activity in my country. We hear of incidents every day…and while we can still be shocked, it wears off quickly. What was unusual about this robbery was the victim’s behavior. She stated that she RAN after the gunman after she was released unharmed. She chased them and fell a few times on the road doing so. What she intended to do is anyone guess. I ask you, is that normal behavior? The gunman had to fire a warning shot to stop her. She has no idea how lucky she was. She is a mother of a young toddler. You tell me, is this normal behavior? What are your views? Had it been you who were robbed, what would have been your response?
@Mass_Sonu (1041)
@Gita17112016 I would've been scared and unable to move & don't understand her reaction, but when we panic, our entire thought process becomes so shaken & each of us may react differently & illogically. But, boy, she is lucky & I'm happy for that.
Does not seem like normal behavior to me. I would have called the police and let them catch the thieves.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thank you. In a civilized world I'll say yes, that's the better choice to make. I glance at your country and smile slightly... Trinidad police do not come running...and if the reach before the end of the day, they do nothing. The police ask her if she can provide the empty shell to validate she was shot at! Do you believe that? SHE has to provide the empty casing... That's another can of worms.
@Gita17112016 That is ridiculous for the police to ask her regarding proof of a shell casing. If the police do not help, then a person really does have to act all by themselves in many cases.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Corbin5 That's how it is here. Silly policemen. It is true that people are left to fend for themselves but one must weight the consequences. Perhaps she didn't think it through. Looking back now I feel some sympathy for her actions. Perhaps she was trying to do the best she can.
@carexing25 (1815)
I think it is a normal reaction for someone who is in state of shock and if something very important is taken from him/her. .. You know the feeling that you can't let go of that stuff just like that.. So maybe that's why she chased them ..
@Gita17112016 perhaps it has big sentimental value to her. Well, whatever the reason.. Maybe because she panicked and she was kinda out of her mind and never realized what she did .. Good to know she's okay. She's very lucky indeed
• Trinidad And Tobago
@carexing25 She is lucky indeed. Okay I'll accept that people who panic do crazy things.Appreciate your point of view.
@responsiveme (14347)
It was a dangerous thing to do...luckily the robbers didn't shoot at her.
• Trinidad And Tobago
They did shoot,but it was a warning shot. Not much people have survived situations like these. We read about it everyday in the news.
@Gita17112016 what I meant is shoot to kill.
Had it been me, I wouldn't have run after the person, I would have fallen to my knees praising God I was still alive.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Right? I would have done the same. AND no more roadside vending for me!
@Gita17112016 So true. An inside location would be best.
I have been robbed in the United States, two black men grabbed my handbag. My first reaction was to resist, I tried to keep my bag, so I lost my balance, I fell on the ground and I hit my head badly. I know that mine was the wrong way to react, but you must be in a situation, when it happens you can have a strange reaction.
@Gita17112016 I hope that this will never happen to you, I have been traumatized by that accident and I now feel uncomfortable every time I feel someone behind me.
• Portland, Connecticut
I imagine she was in shock, to have worked hard all day and have someone steal your earnings is a hard thing to tolerate. It sounds like a dangerous place to live.
• Trinidad And Tobago
It's a 'Boil the Frog Syndrome". If you haven't born and grow up here...you can't live here. A kind of a cultural violence.
Understandably it is hard to be robbed of your hard-earned money - but that was indeed a foolish run.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Yes...it is sad but true. Living in a country with a high crime rate forces people to develop survival skills. And her actions were not about survival at all!
It was not a good idea but if someone has your day's takings you might be so upset or so angry that you just want to catch them. I hope I would have had enough sense to let them go.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Could be losing a day's earnings might be hard...but everyday we discuss incidents like this happening all over the country. So to me, her survival instincts should have kicked in and cause her to run and hide...or luck herself in her house and then call the police. I too, would have just let them go.
I would never run after a gunman. I dont care what you take from me.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I share the same view. I can always buy back material things. But first I must live.
@Gillygirl (15292)
• Sutton, England
I think I would have been glad to have escaped unharmed and I would have c ontacted the police immediately.
I never been in that particular situation but I can imagine a person could react in so many different ways. I myself wouldn't have chased someone who had a weapon . I would think she did such a thing because she really needed her earnings .
I suppose she wasn't in the right state to weigh the possible consequences, it must have been very traumatic for her.
Yes, not a smart move to run after them, but glad she was unarmed, maybe she wanted to appear unafraid, but I would advise against it.
No way is a few dollars and some jewelry worth more than my life or leaving my child motherless. Very foolish thing for her to do.