Interesting fact (if you're interested) is you can use up to 200 characters (including spaces) for a title, and the preview of the discussion in the lists will show up to 170 characters...lots of room

By JJ
I thought there was a 170 character limit for discussion previews, but it seems the preview length is dependent on the title length. I just saw one with almost 200, so you have all that room to bait users. After that, it is entirely up to you how to play the catch. There is no particular 'way' to make a discussion. You'll find all different kinds about all kinds of stuff here. @thehousewife started a discussion called "It's all in the discussion title for me" and she makes a few very valid points. There are many people that don't take advantage of all the space they have when titling a discussion. I'm not saying you should use all 200 spaces...I'm just saying that is what is available, so why only use 15 or 20? With the preview included, you have a total of almost 400 character spaces (roughly) to get (and hopefully keep) the attention of other users. These are actually the most important words in your discussion. I won't say you should use them well...but it would be in your advantage to do so.
Seriously. I don't know if my titles are good enough, but when I am browsing for discussions, I want a fully descriptive title of what you are talking about...
@pgntwo (21477)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
The title is an intrinsic part of the discussion, to be played with, primped, preened and made presentable. I like the short titles, where wordplay can be used (without a backslash, \, naturally!) to lead into the conversation... Unto each, their own, I guess. I wonder - is it obligatory to use a title? Must check...
At least a period
@pgntwo (21477)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Yeah, and it trims repeated spaces, I was going to paste in an Ascii Art Easter Bunny ;)
@pgntwo (21477)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake I think it accepts an @ tag in a title too ;)
@nanette64 (13126)
• Fairfield, Texas
I hate really long titles @JolietJake . The key to capturing someone's attention is 'picking' the right words. Example: Idiot Drivers vs Drivers That Don't Read the Signs and Think the Highway Belongs to Them and Don't Follow the Rules. I think the first title is enough to get someone's interest.
@nanette64 (13126)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake Oh sh*t!!!!! Oh lordy!!!! My ribs hurt.
@pgntwo (21477)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake You forgot the @ in the title ;) Looks like it takes them...
Good points but I don't really like the long titles.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Some long titles are good, some ate bad. Ive seen people write more in their title than in the actual discussion.
Yeah, I have seen a few of those
I am sorry but your title and long ones like it hurts my brain.
Would you prefer 'Information' only?
I am terrible at writing titles. Abby is pretty good at them
It's fun to make the title as long as possible. I didn't know there was a big advantage to making it long.
@CRK109 (14365)
Finding a catchy title has always been the bane of my existence. Some people do it very well. And I just bomb out.
Good info again jj. However I have seen discussion with single word as titles. Some of the discussions do not contain 200 characters in description let alone title!