Starting College

I finished high school two year ago, and started cosmetology a couple months after. I was supposed to be done with cosmetology school in April 2016, but got pregnant shortly after finishing HS. Because of this it pushed my graduation date and the date i started college. I will be officially done with cosmetology school in late August/ early September. I Start College on May 30th. I haven't been to an actual school in 2 years and I am SO nervous. Any single parents on here who have gone back to school? How did you do it? I'm taking online classes while I am still in cosmetology because i don't make enough for day care, im just hoping i can handle two schools, a part time job, and a 1 year old. Any tips to get through school?
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You will need a good support network, friends and family.
Yeah, ive got my parents and i feel like only two other members of my family think i can actually do it.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Chels0116 When you show your determination to succeed in school, hopefully the others will come around. I mentioned your post to my wife, and she recommended, as a practical matter, using an organizer to keep up with schedule and assignments. Staying organized is going to be essential with all you have going on.
@DWDavis definitely ! I have like 3 planners !
@moffittjc (41289)
• Gainesville, Florida
Congratulations on your determination to attend college! It's not going to be easy, but unlike so many others, you are choosing not to give up. I admire that. I wish you the best of luck. And by the way, you start college on my birthday! lol
Thank you, and happy early birthday!
@moffittjc (41289)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Chels0116 Haha, thank you! I've heard of starting the birthday celebrations early, but we're not even in the month of May yet! But I will look for any excuse to start the party early!
@WriterAI (5021)
• Bulgaria
A warm welcome to you on myLot! Best of luck!
Thank you!
@WriterAI (5021)
• Bulgaria
@Chels0116 You are welcome.
@Mass_Sonu (1035)
@Chels0116 I'm very sorry, I don't have any tips. But, I think that's wonderful of you - managing all these & joining college. All the best to you. I just hope you'd be able to clear your course successfully!
Thank you !
• Huntington, West Virginia
I'm currently enrolled full time in online classes, with a toddler. It's pretty difficult mainly because you're on your own for the most part. You just read the text on your own and hope for the best. As for childcare, most states have some kind of child care subsidy program. There are usually income requirements, activity requirements (work or school), or both. Maybe check your local Human Resources dept?
I heard from a couple people who have tried to get it that if you live with your parents you don't qualify. I was going to call and check though! Thanks !
You just need to follow your dreams. Welcome! See you around!
I'm trying! thanks, see you !
@Chels0116 Good luck!
@Shavkat Thank you
@TheSojourner (17480)
With the support system, you can do anything that you put your mind to! I'm proud of you
Definitely, Thanks !
@dhoyalahoy (1419)
amazing. Well, keep motivated and passionated. Reach the dream.
Thanks!
• Jakarta, Indonesia
Oh..! Seems you are busy all the way your life. If you are really sure to finish your college, just keep doing better, and make sure you have the supplements to do all of your duty. Share your focus with your study and your kid, also with your part time job. Tha's all you can do, and never give up.
Thank you so much!
@megatron777 (3779)
• Guam
Hardwork and diligence will pay off soon my friend.
@1creekgirl (9960)
I'm really proud of you. Our daughter got pregnant when she was 17, but she graduated from high school and went on to finish college while working part time and taking care of a husband and two kids. Today she has a wonderful husband and little boy and a fantastic career. They just bought a 1/2 million dollar house. I'm telling you this because if she could be successful, so can you.
That's amazing ! i love hearing stories of young moms succeeding ! Im so happy for your daughter ! its definitely not easy.
@Chels0116 No, it's not easy, but things that are worthwhile seldom are. You can do it.
No family or friends can watch your child so you can go to school?
My parents watch her at night while i'm in cosmetology school or work, During the day everyone works. I was supposed to have someone watch her during the day while i paid them but they weren't reliable at all.
@Chels0116 ohh. Im sorry.
I hope you do well. :)
Thank you !
no kids, but I juggle 2-3 jobs. being organized is a huge deal. Get a huge calendar, write every assignment, shift whatever down. Any friends that like to babysit? or other single moms you can trade off with, maybe
@DeborahDiane (20174)
• Laguna Woods, California
My best tip is to try to take it one day at a time and not let yourself get overwhelmed. Learn to say "no" to anything you do not really have to do. Be kind and patient with yourself and accept that you will not always be able to do everything you would like to do. Good luck. It will be worth it at the end.
Thank you !