What are your bedtime rituals (sleep hygiene)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I know I posted yesterday about insomnia, following my own bedtime rituals I was able to get to bed before midnight. I did originally wake up at 10:17 pm that night but was able to go back to sleep until 9 am this morning. I won't be dishonest with you; I still feel sleepy despite all that sleep. I used, I realized this morning, which is what is called sleep hygiene. I learned that from reading about sleep, Mostly professionals call those methods my sleep hygiene. The following states what my two ways I got to sleep and two ways I am adding tonight. The two I used were: 1. I took a walk down to the end of the next block 2. I didn;t take a nap as they interfere with my sleep I am adding tonight to relax in bed before I go to sleep by reading in and having the house already ready for bed. The the second one is not to use my computer three hours before bed. I won't use my Kindle on its daytime mode. Instead, I will put it on the special mode that makes the Kindle screen not have the light which disrupts a person's sleep. It looks like a sepia color. I will spend half my time reading the e_library book I am reading on a Kindle. The other half of my four hours reading time will be in a library book. What are your bedtime rituals or sleep hygiene? Here's to another night sleep!
@Platespinner (16520)
I usually read for a bit before going to bed, doing anything else winds me up too much.
@platespinner I agree, other things get me hyper. I am going to read for almost four hours until nine tonight and going to start in a few moments.
just go to bed and sleep.No TV,no cell phone,no device.Most people take them to bed with them.No wonder they can not sleep. They are nutso
@amadeo I have to have a radio or TV on or I hear scary noises I otherwise wouldn't have heard if I had on a TV or radio. I don't take a phone to bed, but do take my Kindle which shuts off when I go to sleep, and I ignore it all night!
@Marty1 I see.For me I take my hearing aid off.I love the sounds of silence.Mike and Ms.Ruby will protect me.lol
@amadeo I have my hamster, Marty, to protect me lol! Actually, I would have to protect the little guy! But do have a home alarm system since I am alone with Marty here.
@epiffanie (10436)
I listen to the sound of running water which is so relaxing and then I fall asleep ..
@epiffanie Do you have a tape of running water or do you listen to actual running water?I can't listen to the actual water, or my water bill would be sky-high!
@epiffanie (10436)
@Marty1 I listen to youtube videos .. This is my favourite one ..
If you find this video helpful in your life please consider subscribing to this channel as your subscription will help to get these videos out to others who ...
@epiffanie Thank you; I will try it tonight!
I usually watch a movie with my husband after dinner. When I go to bed I read a book, usually more or less half an hour until I feel sleepy.
@ladyduck I think that sounds nice watching a movie after dinner. Is this a nightly occurrence? What kind of movie do you and your husband like to watch? What kind of books do you read in bed? I read the "wedding cake Murder" by Joanne Fluke and after I had read some of that went to Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella.
@Marty1 We like different kind of movies, we have many DVDs and this is a nightly occuerence. Tonight we are going to watch Lawrence of Arabia, it's an old movie, but a very good one. I like the books by Stephen Kind and Dan Brown. I like to read mystery and crime boos, they are fascinating.
@LadyDuck I don't watch DVD's as I have no idea how to use the player. I never read a Stephen King book but want to start. I have a Dan Brown book i am trying t get enough time to read it. Am I thinking right that he has written The Da Vinci Code? If so, that was the book I own,
Bed time rituals - I always read a book before going to sleep and then I do a mental exercise of how I will spend the next day. As for sleep hygiene, I take a shower and brush my teeth before sleeping.
@allen0187 I think you have a good ritual to follow. I spent about five hours reading last night!
@Marty1 that's a lot of time reading. What time were you able to sleep?
@allen0187 about a little after midnight as usual. Tonight I read and wrote and did word puzzles. Going to read in bed as it is 12:06 am maybe I can get the ability to fall asleep while reading.
Early during the evening, we watch TV for a while. Then, bed time reading. No TV, no radio, no music, no cell phones, nothing, exept the fan is on to cut the noise from outside.
@marlina That seems like good rituals. I like the reading part as I am going to start my bedtime reading soon. I will probably start it at 5:17 pm as I need four hours I think. I always watch TV or listen to the radio as if not I hear scary noises all night, and I am petrified of those noises
@Marty1 We find that putting the fan on, it really helps to cut out the noise from outside. You should try it.
@marlina I will have to try it as I am kept awake by loud cars and motorcycle.
Shower, TV with my hubby in our family room, go upstairs together with Doodles, give him goodnight treats and tooth brushing treats, brush my teeth, cream up, TV comedy in bed, out like a light.
@dianneN I will have to try the TV as more that you have mentioned TV, does it have to be a comedy in bed? I usually DVR shows like Entertainment Tonight and news shows and the actual news on all three local channels that have news. I did watch a comedy called Mom last week that I think I am going to watch again. I have not watched a network comedy shows in literally years. How does one cream up?
@Marty1 They say not to watch TV before bed, but it works for us. I cream up with moisturizers. Lol!
@DianneN I also have heard no TV but am going to watch it as I read tonight and do word puzzles.MY attention won't be wholly on TV, so perhaps that is like no TV maybe half TV will work for me! Lol! I am going to start taking my night meds before bed as my case manager told me they are supposed to put me to sleep. I will take them right before bed not at 6PM i will take it at 8pm.
@Blondie2222 (21398)
I always watch a movie or read my book before bed. Right now it's 1118pm and i am mylotting for awhile then i will go back to reading. I read on my kindle when i can't sleep but usually i read a paperback book as i prefer them instead. I have insomnia also and it sucks.
@blondie2222 I read both my Kindle and library books I do both each night. Yesterday I was up until between 11:15-11:25 pm and was up by 4:28 am. I read from 6 pm until I went to bed with the exception I started a new thing, books of word puzzles. I always found those relaxing!
@Blondie2222 (21398)
@Marty1 I enjoy doing word searches their relaxing and fun to do. I dont read both kindle or paperback in one day. I stick to one book only as it's hard to keep up reading multiple books. I have 13 chapters left on a series i am reading and then i will start my new series. I was up til midnight reading last night.
@Blondie2222 I did a word search on Saturday night, but my book of puzzles have various types of word puzzles. I am not stopping that word search until I have it finished I have been reading a book on Kindle and a library going back and forth between them.Not sure why I do that but is a good time looking forward to each book. I was up til 11 pm reading last night. I wanted to stay up longer but new I would sleep too late if I stayed up
@shshiju (10406)
• Cochin, India
Usually I have evening shift and it is around 10.30 when I arrive. After dinner and short rest it is 11.30. Mmm that the perfect time to sleep.
@shshahiju I can get up early enough when I fall asleep at 11-11:30 at night If I fall asleep after I do usually get up early, but I get up usually after a few hours of sleep all the time.
@shshiju (10406)
• Cochin, India
@Marty1 If my sleep is not going good, I will always sleepy the next day.
@shshiju I can understand. I didn't get to sleep last night (Monday) until after 12 am and I am exhausted this morning. Very sleepy.
I eat a snack, take my medication, turn on the TV and set the timer to an hour and then go to sleep.
@bellestarr That sounds like a good plan. I am thinking of having a snack as I eat dinner at 4 in the afternoon so hunger might be keeping me up, I take my medication at 6 in the evening, so that is not part of my bedtime ritual. I do watch TV sometimes. Any kind of show you prefer?
@Marty1 usually just HGTV, I don't want anything too interesting lol
• Nanjing, China
I don't really have any bedtime rituals, if any I think taking a shower and drinking a glass of milk helped me when I couldn't sleep.
@definitelynotaziz Yes, the tryptophan would probably be what helped you get to sleep. Thank you for the shower idea as it helps to sleep as many a bath I got drowsy in it. So I may try that sometimes!
• Nanjing, China
@Marty1 Yes. A warm shower always helps me relax and get ready to sleep.
@definitelynotaziz Well, I take a bath as showers aggravate me. But may try this when I try to sleep.
I turn off my computer at 6 p.m. every night and then I read with the TV on for background noise. I do go to bed at the same time each night, 11 p.m. and get up each morning at 7:00 a.m. If I sleep too late, I am tired all day long.
@cornin5 Thank you so much, dear friend! I got off my computer around 5 pm and read and did word puzzles until 11 pm and fell asleep about 11:15 pm and 11:30 pm I thought and woke up at 4:28 am! Happy Easter!
@Marty1 Happy Easter to you too, my friend!!!!
I haven't found a way to sleep well. I avoid naps for sure. I get up by 7 every morning no matter how bad my night was, I only have coffee first thing in the morning. I read all these articles about how to help myself, but I don't do all the things I should. I could avoid the computer before bed, but I had all this trouble long before there were computers. More exercise would certainly be good for me.
@paigea I have to read some of the self-help articles. I am told not to get on my computer or use my Kindle after 8 pm then lies in bed and read for about an hour. I usually get up by 6 am but fall back to sleep reading, so i changed my reading spot to another room instead if my bed,
@Hate2Iron (7756)
I spend 15 minutes meditating before I climb into bed. It settles me down and I drift off to sleep in minutes!!
@hate2iron I have tried and tried to meditate but my mind is all over the place. I am going to do research on better ways to do it.
@CRK109 (14465)
I take a shower. That generally relaxes me. I bring a book to bed with me so I can read for a while before trying to sleep. And I usually take something to help me sleep. It takes a while to kick in, so the book really comes in handy. Sometimes I'll put music on softly in the background and that helps, too.
I use Sleepytime tea, and I let it get into my system by reading a bit. I always promise myself several hours of reading and always go to bed befoe that time. I am going to stop that habit
@sabtraversa (12990)
I should start some rituals, I feel like I might need them. I don't take naps, I don't trust walking at night but I can't say no to my computer. I try my best with guided meditations.
I don't walk at night either. I am petrified to leave my house by myself in the dark. I walk around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I take a brisk walk a short distance!
I usually just watch a little tv before bed.
That sounds relaxing! I usually listen to a talk show on the radio and tv sometimes.I do read as I am watching or listening. That should be good to do with my new sleep hygiene
@RubyHawk (23473)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't sleep well. I've tried everything. I used to read in bed but that kept me awake. I tried a warm shower before bed but that doesn't work. Now I sit up and iron, read on the couch and sometimes watch tv or work on my iPad as I'm doing now. I usually sleep a few hours.