Just Saw My First Tick Today

@Hate2Iron (7326)
I think that I have gotten over my fear of bears. Everyone has been telling me that Manitoba Brown Bears are probably going to be more scared of me, than I will be of them... so I replaced it with fear of ticks. I have gotten into the habit of never go outside without wearing rubber boots and I check my pant legs just in case, but this afternoon... it was hubby that came in with a tick crawling up his arm. He managed to dislodge it pretty quickly, but it still was kind of frightening to see on up close and personal. From what I have been reading, you should watch for a round rash to form... so hopefully, that won't show up... but at least he knows. And if that isn't enough to scare you... he has seen a co-worker consumed by Lyme Disease... Maybe it was the wakeup call that we needed... I don't think that anyone is going to go out without being prepared. Do you know anything about these frightening bugs??
@Blondie2222 (17559)
I live in the country but i never seen ticks around here. We don't have a field or long grass so that could be why. I hope your hubby will be ok and doesn't catch lyme disease from it. Glad he was able to get it off quickly.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I'm pretty sure that it didn't bite... but I'm sure that he will be watching for any symptoms!
@Blondie2222 (17559)
@Hate2Iron Okay hope he is doing well.
Mike got his first tick off on Ms.Ruby. Cannot do too much .Just spray.When you come in from outdoor. Brush off your clothes .Most of us know about this.Those whose have animals.We always prepared Ms.Ruby. She get the front line and this work pretty good. We are used to this.Know the history and the preparation on this. It is not all that is seems to be.Be caution.shake off the clothing.These things help
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I was wondering about dogs, because everyone around here seems to have them! Will definitely be watching out just to be safe!!
I know they can be repelled by wearing certain scents, natural of course and having a better immune system to keep them away . . . Fear should not keep you indoors though, preventative maintenance of your body should be the priority
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I am a little nervous of venturing into the woods I have to admit, but I do plan on stocking up on that Deep Woods Spray that was mentioned!!
There are ticks in the wood here, where the deer live. It's better to be protected when we plan a walk.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I wonder if the deer are affected?? We saw lots this winter!
@Hate2Iron I have no idea, but I know that I use a spray when I go walking in the woods.
I read more about them on a post by @Raelove last night. People here are saying they have Lyme disease but the medical profession is denying it at the moment. We have kangaroo ticks here but they don't seem to have such a terrible effect.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I hope that it's not true too... but I'm going to be careful just in case!
I have heard of them. Maybe that is one of the good things about living in the city. No ticks. But yes, pollution.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
Yes... I never knew about them until he moved here!
That is good you got it off real quick.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I think that I was more freaked out than he was!
I do know that a colleague's nephew contracted Lyme disease and the disease is very debilitating for life, at least it is for him. I do not think there is an effective vaccine for Lyme disease yet.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
I don't think that there is a vaccine either. It might be something that they should look into. It scares me just to think about it!
@shivamani10 (9917)
• Hyderabad, India
No. I never heard of them.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
Glad that they aren't where you are. They are scary!!
@prinzcy (5082)
I don't know much about ticks except their bite didn't want to heal. My cats always seem to manage to bring back a tick or two with them after they venture outside. That thing sometimes were passed to me.
@Hate2Iron (7326)
Nasty little things. We are buying Deet to spray our clothes too.