Ten Favorite Work Songs: Work Is a Four-Letter Word (#10)

@FourWalls (13767)
April the Giraffe had her baby!!! And for the first time in three weeks I don't have to work on Sunday!!! To celebrate, let's talk WORK! (Hard Labor, the Three Dog Night album, is dedicated to April. ) Here are my ten favorite songs with work or a variation in the title. #10: Work is a Four-Letter Word - Smiths Including this song in the list will incur the wrath of Smiths fans. Why? Because this is the song "credited" with splitting the Smiths. According to a 1992 interview, Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr said he "didn't form a band just to cover Cilla Black songs." So Marr left the Smiths, effectively ending the band. Actually, musically it's not that different than the pop feel of "Girlfriend in a Coma," the A side of the single. And, given how many songs that Morrissey sang with his tongue so firmly planted in his cheek that it's a wonder how he got the words out, this probably was recorded as a joke as well. It's just that Johnny Marr didn't find the joke all that funny. Too bad. Work Is a Four-Letter Word Written by Guy Woolfenden, Don Black, and Cilla Black Recorded by the Smiths Released as the B-side of "Girlfriend in a Coma," 1987 (Originally recorded by Cilla Black, 1968) So this is the song that broke up the Smiths:
Cilla Black cover generally regarded as the second worst Smiths song
I was watching the webcam at the moment April 'dropped her baby' - dropped being the operative word. Very exciting.
@FourWalls (13767)
I had the blessing of seeing a giraffe give birth at the St. Louis Zoo in 1997. I didn't see anything else at the zoo that day, becuase there wasn't anything as exciting to see as that! April nearly drowned the poor baby.
@FourWalls She did, didn't she? I don't think that's what they mean when they say 'wetting the baby's head'!
There is one song in particular that I am rooting for. Great idea.
@Freelanzer (8967)
I never knew that. Very interesting.
It's still the Smiths and even less than Smith songs are better than most.