Tourists Left Huge Tip And Will Pay Waitress's Student Loans, Too.

Australians tourists at Noi Thai Cuisine restaurant in Hawaii gave 21-year-old Cayla Chandara a whopping US$400 tip after their meal, which costs US$200. After work, Cayla went to their hotel to give them flowers, a thank-you card, and dessert for their generosity. But the next day, the tourists returned and told her they will also help pay for her student loans of US$10,000 at the University of Hawaii, so she can continue her studies when school reopens this fall. Cayla had to stop due to the high cost of living, and her other job was at the Cheesecake Factory. Cayla said, "They told me the best way to thank them is to be my best possible self, dream big, and strive for my goals. They have truly changed my life, not only financially, but in the way I look at things. They are the most beautiful and kind-hearted people I’ve come across, and I really look up to them, and I can’t wait until they watch me graduate." Now that we have internet, I'm sure Cayla Chandara will keep in touch with her wonderful Australian benefactors regularly, so they can see her progress. If I had the means, I would also love to help directly and anonymously simple, everyday people like these, instead of upgrading my life or lifestyle. I just have to learn how to make sure they receive it, and they don't trace it back to me, so it stays a secret. Would you help anonymously, too? Are you good at staying under the radar? News Source:
The 21-year-old waitress thought the customers were just being polite, but as she collected their tab at the end of the night her jaw-dropped — and the surprises didn't stop there.
Yes, if I had enough money I would like to help too.
i've also read about people at the supermarket paying for the groceries of the person behind them in the usa.
@hereandthere Yes, this happens here too, if you notice that someone seems not to have enough money to pay the bill.
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck,me too, we can help others but in some small ways.
@louievill (15548)
It's nice that there are still people like these tourists. Now it's up to the waitress to do her part, opportunities like this do not come by often
i think the internet will help to keep her motivated and accountable.
@louievill (15548)
@hereandthere hope it does, there should be some kind of financial adviser so she would not end up like those lottery winners who did not know how to handle money and end up poorer than ever
@louievill they will be helping her pay off her loans and debt, so she will still probably work part-time for her daily expenses.
It is a good deed. Some people have a golden heart.
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Shavkat , That is true and there are only few of them. he politicians should emulate this philanthropist.
@cacay1 I think they should have leadership 101.lol
it's uplifting to read stories of generous people who are willing to take a chance on someone
@nomus24g (14734)
yeah, read about this news piece somedays back...
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
so nice news.
@nomus24g (14734)
@cacay1 yes it is
@crossbones27 (13517)
• Redlands, California
What a cool post, I love the part where you say you just make sure they receive it. The problem with most peoples sacrifice is we sacrifice to people who do not make sure the money and resources go to where it was intended. Such a sad world because of that. People do not need much but they do need enough to get by so they can do bigger things and then some will pay that back 10 fold. Some will not, but that is OK because we do not need to pay for them anymore. They can stand on their own.
My husband and I have helped many under the radar. We've actually paid for a few students' tuitions at our local university, but only for one semester or two. We've picked up the tab in restaurants and coffee shops, too.
i know you and your husband are education advocates, so i'm not surprised that you do. i remember you husband giving advice to a principal when you went to turkey. did you ever check back on those students?
@hereandthere Unfortunately, we did not. I still don't know the principal's name. It was Turkish, so I couldn't remember it. I hope the kids are doing fine. They were so poor.
@DianneN some are bright and really want to finish so it's good to help them, while others have all the advantages, yet have no drive at all.
@1hopefulman (17499)
I think my biggest tip was about $20. I don't think I would give a bigger tip than that unless I had plenty of money.
did you work as a waiter before?
@1hopefulman (17499)
@hereandthere I meant, the biggest tip I have ever given was $20. The closest was being a dishwasher in a restaurant.
Wow, now that is big time generosity! If I had the means, sure . . . I would love to help someone out like that! But knowing me, I would be quite particular about who that person would be . . . I wouldn't just do it randomly.
yeah, it's actually a big risk since they're taking a chance on a complete stranger, but maybe they also see something in her and have developed good instincts about people.
@hereandthere It would be interesting to know their side of it - just why they chose to support this girl like that. Or maybe they really had the means to do that - even for several others!
@ridingbet (33182)
wow, that is a selfless attitude of helping one person that you just met accidentally. i hope the lady will be able to fulfill her ambition.
maybe she will. it's easy now to keep in touch and updated because of the internet.
@ridingbet (33182)
@hereandthere as long as she uses the money for her own good, so her education plan will be achieved.
@Mass_Sonu (1049)
@hereandthere This is a magnificent gesture! Now, they are someone I wondnt mind calling as role models ..
those australian tourists are definitely magnanimous.
@Mass_Sonu (1049)
@Lupita234 Yeah, a wonderful generous gesture
• Nanjing, China
That's a lovely thing for someone to do. We need more generous people in the world like them.
it was wonderful to read about. would you do something similar?
• Nanjing, China
@hereandthere If I had the money, I really would love to. The feeling that you would get when you can change someone's life in a positive way is priceless.
@1hopefulman (17499)
These are amazing people to make such a generous action towards one that was struggling student. It's good to able to be so generous.
everyone in this discussion said they would do the same if they could, and some already did.
@epiffanie (8222)
I know a lot of very generous Australians who live simple lives despite their wealth... I am not wealthy, but now that all my boys are no longer dependent on me, I do help anonymously within my means to some fund raising campaigns .. I also help a few people directly as I don't believe in having a middle person .. to me it creates corruption ..
"I know a lot of very generous Australians who live simple lives despite their wealth... " - i've always wondered if it was possible to stay simple. they seem to be rare. i, too, would prefer to help directly, and in practical ways.
• Algeria
that deponds on what you have.. for sure if I have enough money I would love to give and donate.
• Algeria
@Lupita234 thanks
What a wonderful happening you shared with us today!! If I had the money, my anonymous donation would still bring me great joy.
i always come across news that inspire or intrigue me. i'll try to share more.
That good for a woman to have gotten huge tip but fortunately her college got paid as well.I hope she helps them back.
i think seeing her back in school, reporting her progress until she graduates is the best reward for the australian tourists who helped her financially.
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Very nice fortune of that lady. I also help my nephew in his studies thousand sin every sem almost 25,000. He is now 2nd year college of his Educ course. The feeling is so nice if help someone.
P25K (US$ 505.20) per semester for education degree? is that tuition only or including school supplies, daily allowance? is it a private college/university?
@PainsOnSlate (18554)
I help often but without using my name, I loved the story!
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@PainsOnSlate , You are a very nice lady my dear. I have helped too in may ways.
@DWDavis (11218)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I was awed by the generosity of these folks toward the waitress. It was a wonderful thing for them to do. If I were in a financial position to do so, I would gladly help. Currently, I am putting a son through school.
@cacay1 (30436)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
They are rare in our society this time.
I have to admit, as I work out in public, a small part of me hopes that somewhere somewhen someone will do something like this for me. I can tell you what I would do with 10k. take a small part and buy a safe used car, so I can get to work, and the rest would pay off a bill