Phobias I have... that you may have too

Dolphin Bananas
@sabtraversa (13331)
Italy
Because I think I'm not that abnormal after all. Astraphobia: fear of lightnings. Very common, I think. I'm just afraid of being struck by one. Or that a lightning damages something, such as breaking a tree and letting it fall on a car. Globophobia: fear of balloons. I hate balloons. I'm scared at the thought they can burst. The sound of them exploding freaks me out. Period. Spheksophobia: fear of wasps. It makes sense. It just makes sense. And now, a few weird fears (I don't have). Achievemephobia: fear of success. Like... how? Is that a thing? Euphobia: the fear of good news. I don't know what to say. Katsaridaphobia: fear of cockroaches. This one isn't too odd, but it sounds funny to Italian speakers. That's it. Bananaphobia. Exactly, that's what you're thinking. Bananas. I think they're stinky and not as delicious, but I'm not really frightened by them, although they're something I try to avoid. Photo by MaxPixel at FreeGreatPicture.
I also fear the wasps and the cockroaches, my phobias are claustrophobia (fear of confined places) and acrophobia (fear of heights).
@sabtraversa (13331)
Cockroaches don't scare me instead, I wouldn't like having them crawling on me while I sleep, but I wouldn't like anyone crawling on me while I sleep! Claustrophobia can be strong if you're in a small room with people who ate beans, I can imagine.
@sabtraversa My claustrophobia is pretty bad, I cannot visit caves and many places because I feel really bad. In reality I do not fear the cockroaches, they simply disgust me.
@sabtraversa (13331)
@LadyDuck Oh I see.
For me - a fear of lightning most definitely.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Yes, it's a popular phobia. The risk of getting struck is very low, but still, we can't do anything but expect the worst.
@averygirl72 (16617)
Ha sounds funny to me. Maybe I have Achievemephobia, I fear success. Don't you have trypophobia or fear of holes. It's yucky
@averygirl72 (16617)
@sabtraversa I fear to be very successful. I want to be successful. I made a wrong answer
@sabtraversa (13331)
@averygirl72 The responsibility that comes with a huge amount of success can be frightening too, it's all about the intensity. Same for the typophobia: if the hole is on the cheese, fine; if the hole is on my foot, another story.
• Algeria
i have no fear at alll.. but i can understand others who have fear from something.. cuz i am sure they have it because they had bad event which made them have fear.
@sabtraversa (13331)
True, that could explain weird fears such as the one towards bananas.
• Algeria
@sabtraversa trust me there are big stories, behaind any fear..i even met some people who have fear from some kind of food.. that cuz maybe they had terribles of eating that.. so when we met someone has fear from something we have to listen to him and understand him and find out whats the matter made him or her fear this... even we can help them to heal therivles and make them more confident.. good company can make others feel stronger.. so i all the time try to be good with my friends and help people as much as i can..
• Algeria
@sabtraversa in todays world most of people have fear and stress.. so we have to be more emotional and feel what others are suffering.. lets help each other to make world better place for living. lol
@alberello75 (18671)
• Genova, Italy
I do not have such phobias, but a mental disorder called OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) Bad thoughts go through my mind all day, every day. However, the thoughts have NO value!
@sabtraversa (13331)
I've been looking at past responses and I got to yours, I see I didn't interact with it. Thoughts have value if you give them value, I think. All we can do is try to think positive when we start thinking negative. It takes some practice but we can control ourselves somehow. I don't have OCD but I'm likely to have OCPD, I decided to accept it but not let it rule over me, I try to be the one controlling it.
@alberello75 (18671)
• Genova, Italy
@sabtraversa I continue to stay with the idea that, my thoughts, DO NOT HAVE ANY VALUE! Do you know some strategies that I can use to expel some bad thoughts? Can you explain me what's your OCPD? Thanks in advance Alessandro
@sabtraversa (13331)
@alberello75 If I have continuous bad thoughts I go for guided meditations on YouTube. I find the "Meditazione guidata pulizia emozionale" by Ana Maria Ghinet to be a good one. Otherwise the best thing to do is to get distracted and do something you like, maybe something useful that doesn't cause any harm. You can take photos, for example. I'm posting an article about OCPD, that's the shortest I could find so you can easily read the symptoms. They forgot to add parsimony and hoarding. I also wrote a discussion about OCPD a while ago and I think you've read it, but I guess it's easier for you to read something in Italian now.
Disturbo ossessivo-compulsivo di personalit?
@pgntwo (22544)
• Carthage, Tunisia
I love that picture of the banana dolphins, it's on Pixabay too - good choice, even of you don't like them. Good that you are not a Sesquipedalophobe, someone who is afraid of long words... ;)
@pgntwo (22544)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@sabtraversa Or someone having a particularly heavy sneeze...
@Fishmomma (11452)
I laughed at the last one. My biggest fear is heights and it has been a challenge getting down after stacking hay bales really high and then looking down to see where the ground is located. I do have a fear of the first one, as several people have been killed during lightening in this area.
@sabtraversa (13331)
I guess none wants to fall down. As long as the height is impressive enough to let me die and not suffer, I won't be afraid. Yes, lightning causes some real damage, that's a very rational fear.
@Fishmomma (11452)
@sabtraversa I was selected to stack because of how straight I could get the bales or my brother would have been up there. One of my friends use to come out at least once a week to stack, as he had seen my white pale face and was nice to ease my discomfort. His girlfriend even came out a couple times and she said that is sure hard work. He married his girl friend and they bought a farm, so she spent a lot of time stacking hay bales; however, the bales were smaller, so she could move them easily.
@sabtraversa (13331)
@Fishmomma Aww, at least it was kind of your friend to come help. Wish these hay bales could take less room.
@skydream (1140)
• Agate, Colorado
I have a few fears though i don't know the actual name for them. I'm scared of the future, of moths, of owls and of small closed spaces.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Chronophobia, literally the fear of time passing, fear of future, common among elders. Mottephobia, fear of moths, is it because of some superstition? Oclaphobia, I guess the same reason as moths, but owls are so cute. And claustrophobia, that one is quite common.
@skydream (1140)
• Agate, Colorado
@sabtraversa I'm not sure why I'm afraid of moths honestly. They just creep me out and i can't stand being in the same room as one, the owl one it just scares me how they can move and their eyes lol.
@sabtraversa (13331)
@skydream I see, I have a weird attraction towards "the creepy" instead.
@responsiveme (16816)
The lightening one is what I have too....there was lots of lightening from the morning itself...but now the sky is clearing up.
@sabtraversa (13331)
So you woke up to lightnings? Glad the weather is getting better, here it's been pretty windy instead. But sunny.
@sabtraversa yes, scary for me too.
@mythociate (15958)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I made up a phobia: mysentomophobia---fear that The Bugs Will Come because an area is Contaminated (from combining "Mysophobia" - the fear of contamination - with "Entomology" - the study of insects). My 'fear' arises from the fact that--when I had the habit of sleeping on a bare mattress (and not covering it with a sheet I could regularly wash)--it attracted infestation-after-infestation before I finally realized what I was doing That also reminds me of "hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia"---fear of long words.
List of definitions for phobias, or pathological fear of things
@sabtraversa (13331)
Gotta love these words you can make up. And that's one justified phobia, definitely. It sucks to have a phobia you can't even pronounce, the long words one.
@mythociate (15958)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Protected from Fear
@sabtraversa Maybe--on top of saving you [i]Hundreds of Dollars[/i[--myLot can also protect you from wasps, lightning and balloons http://www.mylot.com/post/3055554/i-saved-hundreds-of-dollars-simply-by-switching-to-mylot
@kepweng (18622)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
your photo is funny im afraid of rats and heights whats yours?
@sabtraversa (13331)
@kepweng I may be afraid of all animals if they look hostile towards me. Then all the other phobias were written on the discussion itself.
@thelme55 (15059)
I have not heard of bananaphobia. I have snakes phobia but not cockroaches.
@sabtraversa (13331)
@thelme55 It seems like people can be afraid of pretty much everything. I think cockroaches are usually disgusting to most people, not really that scary.
@Ceerios (4753)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@sabtraversa - Ms Sabrina - I would have a super case of shaking bananaphobia were I to try taking a banana from a bunch of them and find out that it had jaws and eyes and liked to swim in the salty ocean. -Gus-
@sabtraversa (13331)
That would be creepy, I understand.
anyone who does not be careful of lightenng is stupid but balloons oh no that s pretty slly and bananas I love to eat them lol lol
@sabtraversa (13331)
Fear of lightnings is justified, but balloons and bananas aren't really that harmful.
@hereandthere (32778)
lightning and balloons - sometimes concerned, but not really afraid i chase cockroaches with a slipper or flyswatter, but never mess with mice and rats in case of bites and rabies i probably have achievemephobia. i'm afraid to be like the "successful" people i know. haha!
@sabtraversa (13331)
Lightning and balloons on the same level? Nosophobia (fear towards diseases) is more than justified. What's wrong with successful people? We'll never know how we'd be like once we become successful, I'm more curious than frightened.
Right now.Tick is worry us here.We have to check out self out every day.Once we get settled.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Ouch, ticks, they're kind of gross.
@Hate2Iron (8022)
I would say for me... it would be fear of the future!
@sabtraversa (13331)
Chronophobia. What scares you about the future, exactly?
@Orson_Kart (4487)
I share your fear of balloons. Not only the popping of them, but also the horrible noise made when someone rubs their fingers down slowly. It makes me cringe. However, I am disappointed to hear you dislike bananas. They have often popped up for discussion here on myLot, and usually they are a welcome sight. Shame.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Popping? They don't pop, they EXPLODE! The noise of rubbing balloons makes me cringe as well. I can cope with bananas, no worries.
• Nanjing, China
I have a fear of clowns, insects, and arachnids, all of which I would think is a fairly common phobia, right? Clowns are evil and insects and other creepy crawlers are just a major nope to me. Now that you mention that there's a fear of success and good news, I'm actually quite the opposite for both. I fear of failure pretty often, and I definitely don't like bad news.
@sabtraversa (13331)
Yes, those phobias are common. Poisonous insects and spiders are obviously a hazard, I wonder why the fear towards them is labeled as "phobia", as it isn't an irrational fear. Clowns just piss me off, thankfully. Right, the fear of success and good news sounded too odd, just like the fear of being alive. They don't really make sense to me, their opposite phobias are somehow common instead, I believe.